Doctor Who: Season 32 thread

Werthead

Looks like there might be a (another) Roswell or MIB storyline. The scenes with Amy and River getting these black scribbles on them looked pretty creepy. Definetely looking forward to the next season. :)

ETA: Also, was that a bearded Doctor?

Yes. Also chained up, apparently a prisoner.

The black scribbles stuff looks a bit like the stuff from the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit in season 2 of RTD's reign, which also featured Ood with glowing eyes, albeit of a different colour.

The black scribbles stuff looks a bit like the stuff from the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit in season 2 of RTD's reign, which also featured Ood with glowing eyes, albeit of a different colour.

I thought so too at first glance, but in the later scenes it looked more like a row of vertical lines with a long horizontal line through them.

I had almost forgotten about the Ood in the preview. Maybe there's a connection.

A couple of observations:

1) The Doctor saved Christmas by essentially forcing a sad old man to... watch an Episode of Dr. Who. That's so meta.

2) I think the Doctor knew all along that Abigail was going to die. It was part of the lesson he wanted to teach the old man -- everyone matters. I think Tennant would have played this episode much better than Smith, personally, because he played the dark side of the Doctor much better than Smith has.

Shouldn't he have tried to help her anyway, when he did find out? He's happy to take her gallivanting around the universe, but won't take her to a world/time with decent medical technology? Eg pre-Gridlock New Earth?

Maybe he would be a cheerful old man with a bunch of kids and grandkids who invites all the poor kids over for turkey on Christmas eve, and wouldn't even think about letting a ship with 4000 people on board crash.

Might have turned out a bit too sappy that way though.

No need to go back in time and alter history any further, just put her back on ice after she's saved the ship and take her to a hospital that can cure her instead of leaving her to go on another shark ride. I don't mind that sort of inconsistency between stories so much - having the Doctor pop off to the hospital planet every other story would be silly - but within a story that highlights the precision with which he can currently control the Tardis and his willingness to transport people to other worlds and change the course of events, it really bugs me. He's perfectly happy to save the shark's life earlier on!

No need to go back in time and alter history any further, just put her back on ice after she's saved the ship and take her to a hospital that can cure her instead of leaving her to go on another shark ride. I don't mind that sort of inconsistency between stories so much - having the Doctor pop off to the hospital planet every other story would be silly - but within a story that highlights the precision with which he can currently control the Tardis and his willingness to transport people to other worlds and change the course of events, it really bugs me. He's perfectly happy to save the shark's life earlier on!

I woke this morning with that question: why is the Tardis, so notoriously fickle and unreliable, precise this time around? And every Christmas Eve at that. Oh well.

I re-watched some of the scenes again, and my. Michael Gambon runs rings around everyone.

• 1 month later...

Sad Who-related news: Nicholas Courtney has died. :(

No more five rounds rapid, then? :(

A nice guy who took what could have been a cliched military buffoon character and made him a well-rounded character who held his own against the Doctor. His finest moment is probably his last in the main Doctor Who series (though he's since appeared in The Sarah-Jane Adventures and on various audio dramas), when he knocked out the Seventh Doctor and replaced him in confronting the Destroyer, thus saving planet Earth one final time.

Very sad news :(

Archived