Doctor Who: Season 32 thread

Werthead

One thought regarding Amy,

If she is indeed preggers, and I see no reason to consider that a fallacy, does anyone think she'll be removed from the equation by series' end? Not exactly smart to travel through time and space with a baby on the way. I hope not, she's really grown on me, but the possibility is always there. These new series companions don't seem to last very long.

I thought the same thing, that it would be a nice way for her and Rory to bow out of the series, if it is indeed true.

Yeah, those aliens were creepy. And River's monologue to Rory about the worst day of her life was sad. I thought it was a great conceit. I wonder if they will use that narrative in this season.

The main problem with River Song is that she dies looking younger than she is now. The longer they keep her on the show, the older the actress gets. They only have so many years to use her before suspension of disbelief goes out the window.

Awesome season opener. I was kind of blown away, to be honest.

The one thing I found a bit (intentionally?) silly, though, was just how much Americana they tried to pack into that one diner. Elvis, American Eagle and flag mural on the wall, the jukebox, the classic glass coke bottle...just the fact that it's a fucking diner in the first place. Was that supposed to be kind of a knowing wink, as if they are saying, "tee hee, we're in America now and yes, we're going to pretend like we have a cheesy sensibility of what a set in an American restaurant should look like." Also, are yellow American school buses somehow an iconic image of America to Brits from our movies and TV shows? I don't think Brits have them, do they? It seemed an interesting establishing shot to use for the first shot in America, and they've been promoting heavily how this season has a lot to do with America and was partially filmed here.

so, is River Amy's daughter?

That's a VERY good theory. All the time traveling Amy is doing while she's preggers with her might explain why she can operate the Tardis as well as (better than, actually) a Time Lord. Also, Amy getting the blank version of the blue diary from her as a wedding gift...it fits.

The main problem with River Song is that she dies looking younger than she is now. The longer they keep her on the show, the older the actress gets. They only have so many years to use her before suspension of disbelief goes out the window.

Unless she regenerates...

They should have had the hindsight to make her look a bit older back in the Library episodes.

Wait, do you mean foresight? Oh, or maybe it is hindsight...time travel is so damn confusing.

The thing that got me about the old Doctor is this: how come he still looked young after 200 years, when David Tennant's Doctor looked so old after the Master aged him just 100 years?

I suspect (hope) we'll find that out and that it makes sense. Maybe he was put into a stasis for a very, very long time.

The one thing I found a bit (intentionally?) silly, though, was just how much Americana they tried to pack into that one diner. Elvis, American Eagle and flag mural on the wall, the jukebox, the classic glass coke bottle...just the fact that it's a fucking diner in the first place. Was that supposed to be kind of a knowing wink, as if they are saying, "tee hee, we're in America now and yes, we're going to pretend like we have a cheesy sensibility of what a set in an American restaurant should look like." Also, are yellow American school buses somehow an iconic image of America to Brits from our movies and TV shows? I don't think Brits have them, do they? It seemed an interesting establishing shot to use for the first shot in America, and they've been promoting heavily how this season has a lot to do with America and was partially filmed here.

I loved that, actually (Dunno about brits, but a yellow school bus really is a very iconically American image to me.) Comic sense of place ftw. I was also totally expecting an elvis lookalike to come out of the bathroom at the diner, for some reason.

I like the River as Amy's daughter theory, except 'hooking up with the daughter of your love interest' is a remarkably creepy meme I don't want to see repeated any more, ktnx.

The thing that got me about the old Doctor is this: how come he still looked young after 200 years, when David Tennant's Doctor looked so old after the Master aged him just 100 years?

The Master didn't do that, that I recall. He removed the 'protection from aging' thing that regeneration offered and made him look like his real age (901 or whatever it was at that point).

River Song lives in the 51st Century (or thereabouts), maybe she had a facial after getting out of prison?

I'm pretty sure he says something like, "Let's see what happens if I age you by, say, one hundred years." Might have to rewatch that episode to make sure, though.

He ages him by 100 first, then to 900 later. That could be explained by the Master explaining it in human years terms and just aging him to look really bad.

That's a VERY good theory. All the time traveling Amy is doing while she's preggers with her might explain why she can operate the Tardis as well as (better than, actually) a Time Lord. Also, Amy getting the blank version of the blue diary from her as a wedding gift...it fits.

And her latest SPOILER from this episode is that she's going to be a "screamer". Yeah, cos she's gonna be a baby, right?!

Also, are yellow American school buses somehow an iconic image of America to Brits from our movies and TV shows? I don't think Brits have them, do they? It seemed an interesting establishing shot to use for the first shot in America, and they've been promoting heavily how this season has a lot to do with America and was partially filmed here.

They don't have them over here but they are a familiar image from numerous American film and TV appearances. I'm not sure it's quite as iconic as many of the other things in the episode but still seem very American.

I'm not sold on that first episode. It felt slow and anticlimactic and... I don't know, just wrong somehow. Maybe I'll change my mind after part 2. :s

I felt the same. Part of the problem, IMO, was that it wasn't a very good episode to start with after a long hiatus. The Doctor is a much beloved character, but I think his death would have been more poignant if we'd had an episode or two of him to remind us of what he's like first. It felt like the (completely disconnected, as far as I could tell) opening sequence of the Doctor in what appeared to be 17th century France might have been supposed to accomplish that aim, but it failed pretty miserably.

For all the good dialogue snippets in the episode, it suffered from not very much happening. I don't know how all the time was eaten up really, but somehow the 45 minutes went by and there wasn't all that much to show for it. By this stage of a two parter, I would have expected someone to at least have begun to figure out what was going on, even if they were nowhere near the final answer and had no idea how to fix it. But really, there's little-to-no progress on the mystery of these memory-erasing thing (they've got a proto-Tardis and tunnels around the world, and ...), nor the weird astronauts (umm, they randomly show up ??? Not much more explained).

Now, if Moffat is taking things in a different direction and this season is going to be more mysterious and slow paced, then I guess that's OK, but I'd have preferred it if he gave a little something more in the opening episode.

ST

His death would be more poignant if I believed for half a second that it was ever actually going to end up happening. When a writer points a gun at a main character you have to believe he'll pull the trigger or the drama is destroyed. While I love Stephen Moffat, not only is there no chance in hell he'll pull, the gun isn't even loaded.

Unless the BBC are planning to end the series once Matt Smith leaves. But I wouldn't rate the chances of that very highly.

Not sure why they felt the need to conceal what happened to future!Doctor from past!Doctor, since future!Doctor clearly knew in advance what was going to happen (he'd been avoiding it for a couple of centuries). The aliens are very effectively creepy, though.

Unless the BBC are planning to end the series once Matt Smith leaves. But I wouldn't rate the chances of that very highly.

Not sure why they felt the need to conceal what happened to future!Doctor from past!Doctor, since future!Doctor clearly knew in advance what was going to happen (he'd been avoiding it for a couple of centuries). The aliens are very effectively creepy, though.

Very creepy aliens. Almost on par with the Angels. (though they managed to be creepy even when not moving, hehe).

We still need the Doctor to become the Valeyard. I wonder if they could get away with having an anti-hero doctor for a season or something.

That would have been interesting - Waters of Mars was something of a missed opportunity there. A season of the Doctor flouting the laws of time outrageously and having it come back to bite him big time at the end could have been fun.

Or they could actually kill off the Doctor, and continue the series with just the TARDIS... a mysterious and incomprehensible alien timeship whose hapless crew have no idea where or when it will take them next. Not too different from how the show started out...

I'm pretty sure he says something like, "Let's see what happens if I age you by, say, one hundred years." Might have to rewatch that episode to make sure, though.

Simple: RTD wrote that line so it didn't happen. This is my general rule for RTD except for Midnight. Loved the episode BTW. Can't wait to see what happens and how it's connected to Pizza Booze Telly.

Archived