NFL vol. 5

Rockroi

I feel like a kid on Christmas when I see Jerry and Stephen Jones look on miserably from their luxury box as the Cowboys give up a 13 point lead. It's an involuntary reaction.

I'm a big believer in the Karma Gods. So Jerry making a "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!" MNF introuduction doomed Tony Romo to a broken left clavicle. Even I chuckled at Jerry looking miserable in his box. I feel for Stephen, though. He was the one that urged Jerry to jettison TO.

Is it too early to start thinking about that top 10 draft pick? :crying:

Giants continue their dirty play. If they can manage to keep injuring every starting QB they play yet somehow never drawing a flag or a fine, they might end the season over .500

It's not dirty play to have such a good defensive line that you continually beat on the QB. However, one does have to note that this is the 4th straight game they've knocked a QB out of the game.

Is it too early to start thinking about that top 10 draft pick? :crying:

Sorry Trebla.

While nothing makes me happier than Jerry Jones centered schadenfreude, I feel bad for a good fan like you. Even though I enjoy rooting against him, I'm not happy to see Romo get injured. Always seemed like a good guy to me.

Yeah... that hit didn't look late to me, and he hit him from straight on, and went through the body. Romo stepped up and threw the ball which means he couldn't brace for the impact, but that's hardly the lineman's fault.

Also: Lol @ Dez Bryant faking the lateral and getting trucked.

It obviously wasn't a late hit, but Romo had already released the ball and the Giants players not only drove him into the ground but fell on top of him. Completely unnecessary play that ruined a teams season(if it wasn't already) and lowered the quality of football in the NFL.

It obviously wasn't a late hit, but Romo had already released the ball and the Giants players not only drove him into the ground but fell on top of him. Completely unnecessary play that ruined a teams season(if it wasn't already) and lowered the quality of football in the NFL.

And yet if it was Bart Scott I have no doubt you'd be tripping all over yourself talking about how it was a good, hard hit and this is football after all.

And yet if it was Bart Scott I have no doubt you'd be tripping all over yourself talking about how it was a good, hard hit and this is football after all.

Not really. I believe it was in the last thread about how I made a post about how your gut reaction is to be against the roughing the QB penalties but when you see the quality of backup QB around the league you really have to accept the fact that it's necessary or else you're going to be watching a completely watered down product by the end of the season. I do believe the "defenseless WRs" and especially the roughing calls against K's and P's are absolute garbage, these guys for the most part are utterly replaceble.

Thanks Jaime. :)

I saw nothing dirty about the Romo hit. If the rookie fullback Gronkowski (brother of the Pats TE) makes his read Romo doesn't get flattened.

This would be a great opportunity for good ol' Wade to "coach 'em up" since he is the defensive guru. Instead Manning is absolutely schooling them with his pre-snap adjustments.

And now it looks like they have falt out given up with Brandon Jacobs running for a long TD, Hoo, it's gonna be a long season.

the quality of backup QB around the league you really have to accept the fact that it's necessary or else you're going to be watching a completely watered down product by the end of the season.

You're right, former backup QBs like Tom Brady, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Aaron Rodgers never amounted to anything.

In all seriousness, there does seem to be a tremendous lack of backup QB talent in the league this season, but you never really know what you have until the guy is in the game and under center.

A QB should be protected to an extent, but they're still football players. Part of the game of football, and being a QB, is absorbing hits.

Beyond developing better equipment there is only so much the NFL can do. The game moves on, but can this please be the nail in the 18 game coffin.

I had to shake my head at half time when the poor Cowboy team had to walk past cheering fans to get to the locker room. Another great idea by Jerry Jones :thumbsdown:

NFL Fun Fact of the week: Houston is the only AFC team at or over .500 with a loss against an NFC team(they have 2). The rest of the AFC teams meeting this criteria are 11-0. The NFC teams at or over .500 are 9-11 against the AFC and they all have at least one loss against an AFC opponent.

Yeah, you can definitely argue that there are six teams (at least) in the AFC better than any NFC team; Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Pats, Colts, Titans. Kinda crazy, especially as I thought before the season that this would be the year the NFC would maybe not pull ahead, but at least create a little parity between the two.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

There is a reason that the referees don't sit back and wait for someone to stand up with the ball after a fumble. They dive right in on top of the pile and attempt to determine it as quickly as they can. This didn't happen here.

and then...

Back in the day, the whistle ended the play and the replay was irrelevant. Nowadays, they've modified the rule (and rightfully so) that a whistle blown in error does not end a play IF you can determine on a replay that the whistle likely didn't change the outcome. That requires a quick and clean recovery. But it would be a gross injustice to allow a long scrum after the whistle had blown to determine possession.

This is my problem with the play- you said both sides fine: the players did not stop at the whistle; the REFS stopped at the whistle. This is not acceptable in the age of instant replay. The Ref's knew that there was a scrum for the ball; they knew Rothlesberger AT LEST lost possession of the ball as he was at (TD) or near (fumble) the goal line. They should have continued to act like the play was live (when it actually was) and determined something to the effect of "Miami recovered the ball, but the ruling on the field is a TD; does anyone want to chall... everyone in the world is challenging the play; we will review"). A play like that is going to be reviewed; the refs HAVE to act like that play is going to be reviewed while the play is going on, and even if there was a whistle. Instead, the refs just sat on their thumbs and walked around, pretending not to see who fell on the ball (Miami) and who came up with the ball (Miami).

I have no dog in this fight (half a lie: I fucking hate Ben Rothlesberger); I am just sick of these calls that are not intuitive being shoved down our throats. Week one: looked like a catch to me; Week 7: looked like a fumble recovery to me.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

There is a reason that the referees don't sit back and wait for someone to stand up with the ball after a fumble. They dive right in on top of the pile and attempt to determine it as quickly as they can. This didn't happen here.

For good or for ill, the rule says to overturn you have to have a clear recovery and the first Dolphins in the pile failed at their chance to recover cleanly.

Back in the day, the whistle ended the play and the replay was irrelevant. Nowadays, they've modified the rule (and rightfully so) that a whistle blown in error does not end a play IF you can determine on a replay that the whistle likely didn't change the outcome. That requires a quick and clean recovery. But it would be a gross injustice to allow a long scrum after the whistle had blown to determine possession.

The ruling on the field was a TD, no one was supposedly awarded the fumble (Dolphins and Steelers both claimed they were), but the TD rule was overturned. So at that point the refs have to make the best call using replay that they can. And while the ball was in the endzone replay showed that several different Miami players had their hands on the ball first and one in particular came out of the pile with it. That should be the call. As shown by replay.

I understand the rules. It was a bad call and a bad interpretation of the rules. I won't be surprised if they change the rule regarding endzone fumble scrums to just replay the down, as that seems most fair, but in this instance the refs did not call what was shown in the replay.

The only thing more annoying than awful refs blowing calls is whiny fans that don't know the rules complaining about the wrong thing.

Shit, partner. Did I annoy you? Let me apologise most emphatically. I think if I really apply myself and get to really studying those NFL rulebooks, I could be a completely changed and less annoying fan by noon. That do for ya chief?

Archived