Official Boskone Thread

Stego

Things are looking up on our end, and I just booked our con passes and room for both Friday and Saturday nights! All I can say is thank goodness for last minute internet deals, not to mention tax return season (we'd been assuming the worse, but it turns out we are getting just enough back to fund this little trip).

A big thank you to Stego, btw, for offering to help us out regarding rooms, etc. Can't wait to finally meet you and the rest of the gang in person!

Oh, and my heartfelt sympathy to Parris regarding those renovations. Home improvment projects can just suck the life right out of a person sometimes... :sick:

I'm sorry, but I won't be there.

I'm the queen of wishful thinking. If my head wasn't in the clouds I would have realized that a lot earlier. (I had the same problem with ConJose's Worldcon - I did all kinds of research on flights, public transport, and hostels, and I begged BwBers to let me sleep on the floor of their hotel rooms - I shouldn't have been bugging anyone.)

The schedule is now available. Highlights:

• Friday 5:00 pm Gardner: Five Things You Should Never Say to Your Favorite Authors When You Meet Them

People blurt out the most amazing things when tongue-tied. Here's a chance to think about what to say before you meet your favorite author, and to chuckle about what other people have said (and done!) For example, while "here's that check we talked about" rarely comes amiss, other topics should never arise. And are there different rules for the autograph line, the ladies' room, the bathtub of lime jello...?

Jess Hartley, Parris McBride, Mike Resnick, Edie Stern (m), Teresa Nielsen Hayden

• Friday 6:00 pm Gardner: Non-traditional Structures for the Multi-volume Novel

Do most genre multivolumes actually _have_ structures, beyond "It's too big, let's cut it in three," or "It' sold big, so let's have sequels"? What can we learn from Burroughs, Robinson, Rowling, Stephenson....or our own panelists? Which styles are most innovative? Which ones haven't we attempted yet?

Debra Doyle, Michael F. Flynn, George R. R. Martin, Beth Meacham, Charles Stross

(I really hope someone attends this one. Would like to hear what George has to say about multi-volume series.)

• Friday 9:00 pm Gardner: What I've Learned From Fandom

Good....bad? Silly or serious? Have fun!

Lenny Bailes, Vince Docherty, Parris McBride (m), Mike Resnick, Peter Weston

• Saturday 11:00 am Const. Foyer: Autographing

Robert I. Katz, Ken MacLeod, George R. R. Martin

• Saturday 1:00 pm Clarendon: The Books That Ate My House

When SF fans admit (with a certain embarrassment, to be sure) "I have piles," they may not mean what outsiders think. Let's talk about the challenges of living with way too many books, confess (OK, boast) about how many we have, and discuss possible solutions. Tesseract-shaped bookcases? Beating fuel prices in inventive new ways (hmm, what *is* the insulating value of paper?)? Or even getting rid of some....?

Patricia Bray (m), Don D'Ammassa, Geary Gravel, Parris McBride, Joe Siclari

• Saturday 2:00 pm Republic B: The Strength of Sadness: With Mourning Comes Magic

Good people die. Bad things happen. But — we all soldier on.... Sometimes we're stronger for it. And so is the story. How can a writer harvest the power of the sadder side(s) of life to make a tale uplifing, without being maudlin? (And is it true that a song of love is a sad song....?)

Ginjer Buchanan (m), Esther Friesner, George R. R. Martin, Paul Park, Melissa Scott

• Saturday 3:00 pm Hampton: Reading

George R. R. Martin

• Sunday 11:00 am Commonwealth: Kaffeeklatsch

George R. R. Martin, Joshua B. Palmatier

(Note that GRRM generally asks the BwB not to sign up for the Kaffeeklatsch.)

• Sunday 11:00 am Kent: But Wait, There's More! — Finding Out About Other Conventions

Where are they? What are they like? How are they different from each other? How do you select the one(s) for you?

Janice Gelb (m), Fred Lerner, Parris McBride, Peter Weston

• Sunday 12:00 noon Const. Foyer: Autographing

Elizabeth Bear, David G. Hartwell, George R. R. Martin, John Scalzi

A craic addict? Sounds ideal! :) Although snorting it sounds painful!!!

And, I have a room for Thursday. When are you arriving Frisco? You are welcome to share if you are there then. On Friday and Saturday I have grabbed a place in the suite. I think.

Friday 6:00 pm Gardner: Non-traditional Structures for the Multi-volume Novel

Do most genre multivolumes actually _have_ structures, beyond "It's too big, let's cut it in three," or "It sold big, so let's have sequels"? What can we learn from Burroughs, Robinson, Rowling, Stephenson....or our own panelists? Which styles are most innovative? Which ones haven't we attempted yet?

Debra Doyle, Michael F. Flynn, George R. R. Martin, Beth Meacham, Charles Stross

(I <strong>really</strong> hope someone attends this one. Would like to hear what George has to say about multi-volume series.)<br>

I'm planning on going to that one, Ran! As an aspiring writer it sounds fascinating. Guess I'd better remember to bring my notebook!

On Friday and Saturday I have grabbed a place in the suite. I think.

I hope you know what you're getting into, Pod... ;) I was up until about 6:30 a.m. in the suite at Noreascon 4, next to the king-sized bed talking to a bunch of other folks (while LaH took compromising pics of Treb and Lodey ;)).

Coco and Stil.....I think we may get a second hotel room to crash in for friday and sat and you are welcome to crash there.

Coco..... have you talked to Yagathai about a ride up? He's in Philly too.

I'm picking up Vanessa and Jaime on Wedenesday night from the airport. I'm picking up Racebannon and DaveAx (need to email you Dave!) on Friday afternoon.

Anyone else coming in aroundthose times? Anyone else need directions or a ride?

Email me @ [email protected] if you want my cell number or something.

When you getting in, Podling?

Archived