Rally to restore sanity and/or fear

Tormund Ukrainesbane

So Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's rally is happening is Washington DC right now. I know we have some board members going. My question is, is this rally going to make any kind of statement that will matter? Or is just another gimmick that will funnel people back into the Democrat/Republican lines?

Isn't the whole thing more to consider criticism of the media and its pundits, rather than the political parties themselves?

I'm not sure anyone knows what it really is. It's supposed to be a showing of people who are saying that we don't want extremism in the political process. Anti Glenn Beck and Anti Keith Olbermann people holding hands or some such. I'm just wondering if anything good can or will come out of it.

As far as I know, it's the first of these rally's to call a spade a spade. Or in Colbert's case, to viciously satire our political/fear connections in this country.

What will it accomplish? I don't know. But someone saying, directly or obliquely "Hey! Nation! Stop being so fucking ignorant/polarized/obsequious/stupid!" Can't be a bad thing.* At least not in a country I want to live in.

ETA: *On this grand of a stage.

Anti Glenn Beck and Anti Keith Olbermann

are there really folks who think these two are examples of extremism?

Yes. Me. For years now. In the context of pretending to be purveyors of news. Or political commentary. Or just anything worth listening to. Couple of dicks, really.

Obviously "extremism" on an island would imply somehow causing deaths. Or worse. But let's not count out Beck or Olbermann just yet.

Anti Glenn Beck and Anti Keith Olbermann

are there really folks who think these two are examples of extremism?

Spineless cowards, perhaps?

(no offence, LOB - I mean as representatives of points on a political spectrum, rather than as pathetic failures of the proffession of journalism. Actually, I have only the vaugest clue who Olbermann is, so I just mean Beck.)

So Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's rally is happening is Washington DC right now. I know we have some board members going. My question is, is this rally going to make any kind of statement that will matter? Or is just another gimmick that will funnel people back into the Democrat/Republican lines?

Just another opportunity to polarize the sheep and keep business as usual going in Washington.

Spineless cowards, perhaps?

(no offence, LOB - I mean as representatives of points on a political spectrum, rather than as pathetic failures of the proffession of journalism. Actually, I have only the vaugest clue who Olbermann is, so I just mean Beck.)

None taken. And agreed.

Keith Olbermann was an American sports journalist that became a weak counterpoint, by way of MSNBC, to the American right's crappy (Fox News) journalism. He sometimes makes sense, but always surrounded with copious quantities of smugness and assholishness complimented with knee-jerk reactions and unfair representation.

That's just...

Seriously. What!?

Sorry. I'm just getting fed up with all of the rallies and counter rallies and the finger pointing and blaming. There's all of this going on and no-one seems to be able to produce a viable candidate that boils down to anything better than "Well, at least he's not THAT guy!" I'm tired of having to choose between the lesser of two evils. I'd like to have someone to vote for that I can vote for because I think that they are the best person for the job (as opposed to the 2nd worst person for it).

I'm watching it on TV right now and really enjoying it. Good balance between humor and "hey don't be fucktards". Enjoying looking at the signs and stuff (my favorite so far--"I don't know what we're yelling about!" with a picture of Steve Corell). Think it would be pretty cool to be there, but I'm about as far away as you can get and still be in America...

ETA: Will it matter? No idea.

Archived