The Height Hierarchy

MightilyOats

Greenfield! Nice one Grip.

Gotta wonder about Bedwyck aka Giant in the NW. While not a knight he is still arguably one of the shortest men around thats not named Tyrion and that still has some part left to play in the story. He seems to be doing well and is respected in the NW, though perhaps more due to his experience rather than his fighting abilities. He is good at climbing trees though, as well as hiding in them, which is a feat that Gregor most likely could not match. :D

Gotta wonder about Bedwyck aka Giant in the NW. While not a knight he is still arguably one of the shortest men around thats not named Tyrion and that still has some part left to play in the story. He seems to be doing well and is respected in the NW, though perhaps more due to his experience rather than his fighting abilities. He is good at climbing trees though, as well as hiding in them, which is a feat that Gregor most likely could not match. :D

Wouldn't surprise me if Gregor couldn't cut the tree down with his teeth.

Gregor-230 cm(7' 4-7' 5)

Hordor-215cm(7)

Greatjon-210cm(6' 10)

Small Jon-205cm(6' 7)

Sandor-202cm(6' 6)

Robert-200cm(6' 5)

Brienne-195cm(6' 4)

Stannis-190cm(6' 2)

Tywin-190cm(6' 2)

Jaime-186cm(6'1)

Ned-186cm(6' 1)

Renly-183cm(6)

Robb-173cm(5' 7)

Jon-173cm(5' 7)

Joff-175cm(5' 8)

Tyrion-125cm(4' 1)

Me-190cm(6'3)

^No way Robb is the same size as Jon. He's described as big for his age and could look down on Cat at 15 .

If Cat was about 160cm or something even at 173 cm he'd be looking down at her...and for most guys 5' 7 at 15 is big for their age.

If Cat was about 160cm or something even at 173 cm he'd be looking down at her...and for most guys 5' 7 at 15 is big for their age.

Many men get to almost their full adult height by 15 or earlier. I was 6'0" at 14, and I'm 6'2" at 34. That's not unusual. The average male height in the United States at 16 is 68 inches. The average male height from 18-middle age is 69-70 inches. 5'7" is nearly average for a 16 year-old and only slightly tallish for a 15 year-old.

Robb is probably closer to 5'9".

Gregor-230 cm(7' 4-7' 5)

Hordor-215cm(7)

Greatjon-210cm(6' 10)

Small Jon-205cm(6' 7)

Sandor-202cm(6' 6)

Robert-200cm(6' 5)

Brienne-195cm(6' 4)

Stannis-190cm(6' 2)

Tywin-190cm(6' 2)

Jaime-186cm(6'1)

Ned-186cm(6' 1)

Renly-183cm(6)

Robb-173cm(5' 7)

Jon-173cm(5' 7)

Joff-175cm(5' 8)

Tyrion-125cm(4' 1)

Me-190cm(6'3)

There's no way Renly is shorter then Ned, Ned has stated that he looks like Robert did when he was that age and Robert is 6'6" so Renly is at least 6'4"

Many men get to almost their full adult height by 15 or earlier. I was 6'0" at 14, and I'm 6'2" at 34. That's not unusual. The average male height in the United States at 16 is 68 inches. The average male height from 18-middle age is 69-70 inches. 5'7" is nearly average for a 16 year-old and only slightly tallish for a 15 year-old.

Robb is probably closer to 5'9".

I was 5' 7 at 15 and I'm 6'3 now at 19 and I'm Indian,the average height here is about 5' 5.

If he consider that he was a Northman yeah maybe he was about 5'8-5'9.

But the thing is Jon was more like the starks than Robb was and the Northmen are the tall ones,But I guess there are exceptions...anyway Ned was supposed to be only about 6'-6' 1.

There's no way Renly is shorter then Ned, Ned has stated that he looks like Robert did when he was that age and Robert is 6'6" so Renly is at least 6'4"

Ok,Must've have missed that....But wasn't Renly like 22-23,Did Robert grow in his 20's?? That would be odd.

Renly was 21 I think. as far as I know Robert was 6'6" back during the rebellion. I think Stannis is also at least 6'3" because Ned point out that all three brothers are large men and I don't see why Ned would consider anyone under 6'3" to be big.

my point is Robb's most notable feature is his size. He grows pretty much every time he's off the page. Even in the beginning when described as big and broad by Bran hes even bigger by the time Bran wakes up. And 5'5" is pretty damn short over here in the states.

You should at least drop Jon a few inches below Robb.

Ok,Must've have missed that....But wasn't Renly like 22-23,Did Robert grow in his 20's?? That would be odd.
hes not an exact physical match for Robert but the Baratheons are still really big guys.

my point is Robb's most notable feature is his size. He grows pretty much every time he's off the page. Even in the beginning when described as big and broad by Bran hes even bigger by the time Bran wakes up. And 5'5" is pretty damn short over here in the states.

hes not an exact physical match for Robert but the Baratheons are still really big guys.

It's increased a bit in the past few years the avg height I mean but it was 5' 5 as of 2001...and yeah that's about a foot shorter than me and about 3 inches below US avg height,It's all in the genes not much we can do about it.

1. Gregor (7"8- 7"10)

2. Greatjon & Smalljon (7" - 7"2)

3. Hodor (7")

4. Left & Right (6"10 - 7")

5. Andrik the Unsmiling & Victarion (6"9)

6. Bronze Yohn (6"8)

7. Robert & Brienne (6"6)

8. Sandor (6"5)

9. Stannis (6"4)

10. Tywin (6"2)

I think you're exaggerating Robb's actual height; 12 year old Joffrey was taller than 14 year old Robb (who was also described more in the ways of stocky than actually tall by Bran). Also note that the one acknowledging his apparent growth is his mother. Mothers to teenage sons barely do anything but wonder at how fast their boy grows.

OT: SSM incoming:

Just off the top of my head, I would say Brienne is taller than Renly and Jaime and significantly heavier than either, but nowhere near the size of Gregor Clegane, who is the true giant in the series. Shorter than Hodor and the Greatjon, maybe a bit shorter than the Hound, maybe roughly the same height as Robert.

So, Gregor > Hodor/Greatjon > Sandor > Robert/Brienne > Renly/Jaime. Hodor and the Greatjon have already been established as being 7'0 or thereabouts, Sandor should be 6'7 or 6'8 and I'd put Renly at 6'4 tops, given that Brienne could look down at him. Jaime could well be around 6'2, as would Tywin.

With the absence of anything describing them as either short or tall, I'd put Robb, Ned and Jon in between 5'7 and 5'11 (with Jon tending toward the 5'7-5'8, even at the end of Dance), and certainly no taller. Brandon was described as a foot taller than Ned, so he might have been around 6'7.

Edit: Accidentally made Ned, Jon and Robb a foot taller.

With the absence of anything describing them as either short or tall, I'd put Robb, Ned and Jon in between 6'7 and 6'11 (with Jon tending toward the 6'7-6'8, even at the end of Dance), and certainly no taller. Brandon was described as a foot taller than Ned, so he might have been around 6'7.

You mean 5'7" and 5'11"?

I think you're exaggerating Robb's actual height; 12 year old Joffrey was taller than 14 year old Robb (who was also described more in the ways of stocky than actually tall by Bran). Also note that the one acknowledging his apparent growth is his mother. Mothers to teenage sons barely do anything but wonder at how fast their boy grows

I highly doubt Grrm made note of his size for the hell of it. Sansa is the same way being described as tall for her age.

Brandon was described as a foot taller than Ned, so he might have been around 6'7.

what?

i) there's lots of references to people being shorter during the medieval period and that is certainly true... but it is important to note that ASoIaF is not set during medieval times on earth! It is set on whatever world Westeros is on in the time after King Robert's reign (which is after the Targaryen dynasty, which is after the Seven Kingdoms, which is after the Andal Invasion...etc, etc). It really doesn't do to make comparisons between the heights of Europe's knights, the Middle East's warriors or even Japan's versus those of Westeros'. It is comparing apples to oranges.

ii) It is in fact perfectly rational that certain families would produce some staggeringly large offspring while the rest of the population stays mostly average sized. Do you remember in school when you learned about selective breeding and natural selection? Well the Houses of Westeros have been engaged in this for quite a long time.The timeline of ASoIaF is more than 12k years. Presuming a year is roughly a year, that means that Noble and Knightly Houses that cared to, could find matches for their sons and daughters based on attributes like sized and strength. Some Houses such as the Crakehalls and Umbers are known for this. In a world where might can equal power, if you aren't trying to have big sons, you are disadvantaging your progeny.

iii) Lyle Strongboar Crakehall is seen as "big" by Jaime... I see him as being on the list somewhere around Robert sized (6 and a half or so).

iv) The Mountain is likely 7'7-7'9... if he were 7'10, he's pretty much 8 feet... He's closer to 8 feet than 7, this is cannon. Sandor is big. Likely taller than Robert.

v) Greatjon is a 7 footer and Smalljon is taller but we don't know by how much but it isn't so much that he is said to be "much" taller.

vi) Jorah Mormont is shops in the big and tall menswear store too. Likely Jaime's height, but burlier. Same with his dad.

vii) I must be missing where it says that Victarion is a giant. I get him as big and powerful, but it never says he towers over anyone, does it? I make him about Robert's size too.

viii) Areo Hottah is described as tall and wields a six foot long axe. He'd have to be well over 6 feet to use it with the skill he is written as having.

ix) Ned has to be 6 feet. Ice is darn near that long on it's own.

My take on the heights:

1. Gregor (7'7- 7'9)

2. Smalljon (7'2)

3. Hodor and Greatjon (7')

4. Left & Right (6'11 - 7')

5. Andrik the Unsmiling (6'9)

6. Bronze Yohn, Sandor (6'8)

7. Robert, Victarion, Brienne (6'6)

8. Strongboar (6'5)

9. Stannis, Jorah, Renly, Jeor, Jaime, Areo (6'4)

10. Tywin, Halfhand, Barristan, (6'2)

11. Ned, Loras, Beric, Red Viper (6'0)

I highly doubt Grrm made note of his size for the hell of it. Sansa is the same way being described as tall for her age.

what?

The passage in question compares Robb to Jon, and he is described as being stocky of build, as compared to the lithe Jon. Nowhere in that chapter is it mentioned that he is distinctly taller than average.

Brandon Stark, Ned's older brother.

hrmm? I said that I don't think grrm makes note of his size for no reason. Tall is tall. It's fine if you wanna write it off though.

Eta: I'm taking the descriptions of his size in Jon and Brans chapter together with his height. If he was actually meant to be stocky, wouldn't he be described as such?

that was my way of saying that that was never said. Unless you wanna post a quote.

The passage in question compares Robb to Jon, and he is described as being stocky of build, as compared to the lithe Jon. Nowhere in that chapter is it mentioned that he is distinctly taller than average.

hrmm? I said that I don't think grrm makes note of his size for no reason. Tall is tall. It's fine if you wanna write it off though.

Eta: I'm taking the descriptions of his size in Jon and Brans chapter together with his height.

Brandon Stark, Ned's older brother.

that was my way of saying that that was never said. Unless you wanna post a quote.

1. Gregor (7"8- 7"10)

2. Greatjon & Smalljon (7" - 7"2)

3. Hodor (7")

4. Left & Right (6"10 - 7")

5. Andrik the Unsmiling & Victarion (6"9)

6. Bronze Yohn (6"8)

7. Robert & Brienne (6"6)

8. Sandor (6"5)

9. Stannis (6"4)

10. Tywin (6"2)

Sandor is taller then Brienne, but not as tall as the GreatJon or Hodor. The SmallJon is a hard one to judge because he's described as being two different heights by Cat, if I recall correctly.

Archived