The Height Hierarchy

MightilyOats

I'd go lower than most, I'd say six six for Sandor, six four for Robert, Brienne just below that. Hodor a full seven foot, Greatjon six ten, Smalljon six nine. Mountain seven four. People would exaggerate heights a bit, a massive built guy at seven four would look truly giant. Ned and Jon five nine, Robb five ten.

Robert is said to be 6'6", GRRM said so. Sandor is taller, and Gregor is closer to eight feet than seven feet.

Isn't it strange how Sierra Leone, Bangladesh, the USA and sci-fi/fantasy books are the only places you'll see feet and inches used?

:ack:

Canada is technically metric but we still generally talk casually in feet, inches and pounds, at least with regards to body measurements.

I'm 6'2" and for the most part I'm taller than others, but I have a good amount of friends that are taller than I am. Three of my closest friends are 6'3"-6'5". It's not uncommon for me to meet people taller and larger than myself and I'm a pretty big guy.

I think the Big Man is closer to 6'6" IIRC. He seems like a clone of young Robert without the superhuman strength, though he seems to be a fairly strong man himself.

I played basketball growing up so I'm used to being around tall guys (although I'm not one myself, only 5'6" while my brothers are 5'11" and 6'0" respectively). I just think most people don't realize how tall 6'2" is. Or even how big of a difference 2-3 inches really is. It's very noticeable. There's actually a former division 1 basketball player (also had a short career in the NBA) living in my building. He's 6'5", but he isn't the tallest guy - there's another guy who's got a couple of inches on him. So they are around, there just not as common as the six footers.

Arch is bigger than I thought. So maybe Gerris has to be upgraded also. I forget who See Stupid is.

Yeah, I must admit the 'debunked!' thing loses momentum when they say the average height of a few hundred years ago was 'only' 2 inches shorter.

2 inches is a lot, and a few hundred years a very short time in the overall scheme of things. It's the difference between an average Canadian and an average Japanese male, for example.

I played basketball growing up so I'm used to being around tall guys (although I'm not one myself, only 5'6" while my brothers are 5'11" and 6'0" respectively). I just think most people don't realize how tall 6'2" is. Or even how big of a difference 2-3 inches really is. It's very noticeable. There's actually a former division 1 basketball player (also had a short career in the NBA) living in my building. He's 6'5", but he isn't the tallest guy - there's another guy who's got a couple of inches on him. So they are around, there just not as common as the six footers.

Arch is bigger than I thought. So maybe Gerris has to be upgraded also. I forget who See Stupid is.

Gerris is probably 6'1" at the tallest, I don't see him being near Archie's height. Ser Stupid is Hosteen Frey, he's a bull of a man, but I don't remember him being spoken of as being tall. Maybe 6'4" at the tallest.

Yeah, I must admit the 'debunked!' thing loses momentum when they say the average height of a few hundred years ago was 'only' 2 inches shorter.

2 inches is a lot, and a few hundred years a very short time in the overall scheme of things. It's the difference between an average Canadian and an average Japanese male, for example.

Yeah. It's the difference between a guy who is 5'10" and one who is 6'0". And between a six footer and a guy six-two. And there's a significant difference.

Also, two inches is the amount most men add to their height. He he

Gerris is probably 6'1" at the tallest, I don't see him being near Archie's height. Ser Stupid is Hosteen Frey, he's a bull of a man, but I don't remember him being spoken of as being tall. Maybe 6'4" at the tallest.

Well I remember Barristan calling him tall. I'm assuming Barristan is at least six feet. What we don't know is if Barristan is judging Gerris in terms of the general population or judging him against his own height.

BTW, only a seven footer could consider a guy 6'4" "not that tall".

All looks good to me. Was just reading the other day on GRRM's site in the sculpture section that Sandor, "is around 6 feet 6 inches tall." But you may be right with an inch or two difference. It's right around there.

Well I remember Barristan calling him tall. I'm assuming Barristan is at least six feet. What we don't know is if Barristan is judging Gerris in terms of the general population or judging him against his own height.

BTW, only a seven footer could consider a guy 6'4" "not that tall".

I took it as being in terms of general population, not against himself.

I meant it as he is not spoken of as being similar to the Hound or the GreatJon. He seems to be more in line with Jorah Mormont or even his own relative Lyle Crakehall (who's refer to as being big, but nothing really is spoken about his height being substantial)

About the Big Man's strength in comparison with Robert's, his arms are said to compare with Strong Belwas' and his legs are the proverbial tree trunks, so I think they'd be comparable in sheer power. I think he'd be slower and quicker to tire, though.

I took it as being in terms of general population, not against himself.

I meant it as he is not spoken of as being similar to the Hound or the GreatJon. He seems to be more in line with Jorah Mormont or even his own relative Lyle Crakehall (who's refer to as being big, but nothing really is spoken about his height being substantial)

See Stupid suits him Hosteen well. I agree, I didn't get the notion that Hosteen was that tall (6'4"). I can see him being around 6'2", but very muscular or brawny.

Isn't it strange how Sierra Leone, Bangladesh, the USA and sci-fi/fantasy books are the only places you'll see feet and inches used?

Whilst the UK is nominally metric, height and weight is still mostly done in Feet and Stone. So it doesn't seem that odd to me. It would strike me as more unusual for the Metric system to be popping up in a medieval context.

How tall is Sansa? she's always referenced as a tall girl

I'm not sure she's finished growing yet, but I'd say she'll be no taller than 5'10'' this is generally considered tall for a girl, and given that neither her parents are described as unusually tall I'd say she'll be below this.

By the way nice Av, I used that one for a while.

• 3 months later...

I'll make a big list of character heights, most of them won't be their exact size because we don't know it but i'll go with what seems good from what we know.

Gregor Clegane - 7'8" ( He's closer to 8 feet than to 7. )

Hodor - 7'

Greatjon 6'10 ( I don't remember if he was told to be as tall as Hodor or just close to his height. )

SmallJon - 6'11 ( Was he a bit taller or a bit higher than his father ? )

Andrik - 6'10 ( He's said to be taller than Victarion. )

Victarion - 6'8 ( He's said to be towering over every other men in the Iron Islands besides Andrik. )

Sandor Clegane - 6'8" ( Taller than Robert )

Dunk - 6'8" ( I didn't read the D&E books yet, but i heard he's reallt tall. )

Robert Baratheon - 6'6"

Brienne of Tarth - 6'5" ( Said to be a bit shorter than Robert. )

Stannis Baratheon - 6'3" ( Described as really tall, towers over Jon. )

Renly Baratheon - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Jaime Lannister - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Eddard Stark - 5'10" ( Never described as tall nor short so i'll go with that. )

Jon Snow - 5'9" ( As of ADwD, i put him a bit shorter than Ned just because thats how i see it. )

Robb Stark - 5'8" ( At time of death, was he taller than Jon ? All i remember is he was a bit larger. )

Sansa - 5'6" ( Described as a tall girl. )

Arya - 4'8" ( Is she small or just skinny ? )

Tyrion - 4'4" ( Do we know his height ? I put 4'4" because it seems like a normal dwarf height. )

Also, what are the heights of the creatures/animals ?

Giants - On average 10' to 12' IIRC.

Wun Wun - 14' ( Was he as tall or taller than Mag

Mag The Mighty - 14' i think

Direwolves - 5' ? With the head of course, does that seem right ?

Dany's dragons - 4' or 4'6" at the shoulder maybe ? I know they are big, IIRC they aren't that tall

Feel free to correct me on this. I know i forgot some characters but i might add some later.

Arya is supposed to be petite. I always pictured her as a gymnast type especially when she was doing back flips in the first book.

Renly I think it was commented on her being the size of a rat. She's described as little several times. Her height is specifically mentioned when she says Gendry is a foot taller than her.

Maisie is 16 and 5'0 tall.

Speaking of actors several people who have met Kit on other sites said that he is actually 5'7. I think Jon is short. He only towers over Tyrion in the books and Tyrion is a dwarf.

I'll make a big list of character heights, most of them won't be their exact size because we don't know it but i'll go with what seems good from what we know.

Gregor Clegane - 7'8" ( He's closer to 8 feet than to 7. )

Hodor - 7'

Greatjon 6'10 ( I don't remember if he was told to be as tall as Hodor or just close to his height. )

SmallJon - 6'11 ( Was he a bit taller or a bit higher than his father ? )

Andrik - 6'10 ( He's said to be taller than Victarion. )

Victarion - 6'8 ( He's said to be towering over every other men in the Iron Islands besides Andrik. )

Sandor Clegane - 6'8" ( Taller than Robert )

Dunk - 6'8" ( I didn't read the D&E books yet, but i heard he's reallt tall. )

Robert Baratheon - 6'6"

Brienne of Tarth - 6'5" ( Said to be a bit shorter than Robert. )

Stannis Baratheon - 6'3" ( Described as really tall, towers over Jon. )

Renly Baratheon - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Jaime Lannister - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Eddard Stark - 5'10" ( Never described as tall nor short so i'll go with that. )

Jon Snow - 5'9" ( As of ADwD, i put him a bit shorter than Ned just because thats how i see it. )

Robb Stark - 5'8" ( At time of death, was he taller than Jon ? All i remember is he was a bit larger. )

Sansa - 5'6" ( Described as a tall girl. )

Arya - 4'8" ( Is she small or just skinny ? )

Tyrion - 4'4" ( Do we know his height ? I put 4'4" because it seems like a normal dwarf height. )

Also, what are the heights of the creatures/animals ?

Giants - On average 10' to 12' IIRC.

Wun Wun - 14' ( Was he as tall or taller than Mag

Mag The Mighty - 14' i think

Direwolves - 5' ? With the head of course, does that seem right ?

Dany's dragons - 4' or 4'6" at the shoulder maybe ? I know they are big, IIRC they aren't that tall

Feel free to correct me on this. I know i forgot some characters but i might add some later.

Great list. I would like to add another character to this list. Ser Clarence Crabb 8'

And Dunk was close to 7' when he was 16-17 years old. So I guess he would have grown taller.

Archived