NFL Vol. 6

Spring Bass

HEY! Thursday night football is back! Now we can watch 5 games per week, lol.

Half-season review and predictions....

My top 5:

Steelers - they got it all, Troy is my 2nd fav defensive player

Ravens - powerhouse, solid organization

Giants - defense!

Patriots - these guys always seem to find ways to win (lame outing with Browns to be sure, but still)

Packers - team chemistry and solid coaching, Rodgers is a pleasure to watch, Matthews is my fav defensive player, Pack is always strong late in season, will take their div and secure at least 1 home playoff game.

And in the mix:

Falcons - great scrappy team, reminds me of the cowboys of last year, watch out for these guys

Jets - great talent, somewhat unpredictable team, but I predict an early loss in playoffs

Saints - they know they can do it all but something is missing, they don't have the form of last year... coaching?

Honorable mention:

Eagles - lucky they have a solid team otherwise the ongoing QB question would be more troublesome, this team will pull off some big upsets in the 2nd half of this season

Raiders - hey these guys just might steal the div title! 3 game winning streak. Look to KC to come on strong in rest of season though

Silly conjecture/predictions:

NFC champ game - Giants over Packers (the Packers lack of a running threat makes them vulnerable to losing their lead, you need to have a solid running game in order to protect your lead - give their great defense a rest and run out the clock, Giants balanced attack and great D should prevail, This will be a low scoring game, will be great to watch these 2 teams play in reg season!)

AFC champ game - Steelers over Ravens (Steeler defense will protect the lead their solid offense gets, Ravens will make a valiant effort but get outplayed)

SB: Steelers over Giants (A great matchup between 2 similar teams, I give the edge to the Steelers only because of the Giants "choke factor"!)

I wasn't really considering defensive players but your right. I thought I was going to be sick when they kept replaying that injury. The Vikings defense still sucks though. They're the 2nd most dissapointing unit in the NFL today. The 1st is the Chargers special teams.

They can't get a pass rush going, and ever since I was a kid, they've given up huge yardage through the air. The only difference was, they used to be a MUCH better goal line team.

They can't get a pass rush going, and ever since I was a kid, they've given up huge yardage through the air. The only difference was, they used to be a MUCH better goal line team.

What happened to Jared Allen? The tackles he's going against have been manhandling him. Teams are not even chipping him anymore. At least he's getting his hands up in the passing lanes.

What happened to Jared Allen? The tackles he's going against have been manhandling him. Teams are not even chipping him anymore. At least he's getting his hands up in the passing lanes.

The theory is that he was doing so well off the end because our DTs were so scary that linemen had to double up on the Williams Wall. Pat's doing okay, but we've heard nary a peep from Kevin, so that's limiting Allen's ability to rush off the end effectively.

However, he's not doing great 1 on 1 either. He doesn't seem as explosive off the line; I wonder if there's a nagging injury of some sort. I'd like to see Brian Robison, our backup DE, get more snaps while we figure out what's going on. He runs a 4.67 40 with a 40 inch vertical, so he's born speed rusher who can cover screens really well. Pair him with Edwards, and suddenly you've got so much speed on the edges that teams have to start dropping TEs and RBs back to cover, which would make things easier for our MISERABLE secondary (although I love our LB corps to death. Leber, Greenway, and Henderson might be the most underrated LB Corps in the league, and I maintain that grabbing Leber from SD and Shiancoe from NY for PENNIES were two of the most brilliant moves in the franchise's pathetic history.)

I'm sure the Chicago offensive line is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not so sure that's the cure-all; Allen was supposed to dominate Green bay like he has in the past, but got nothing out of them.

It is worth noting that during the last series of regulation in the Cardinals game, he had 1.5 sacks and knocked a pass down, with another sack in OT.

speaking of Offensive tackles...

Steelers lose starting LT for season

Ouch. As the article asks, do they move Flo Adams to LT or go with a backup? BTW...how has Flo done with his false starts this season? I always believed he regressed because he needs a foot planted on his backside 24/7. His best seasons were with Bill Parcells constantly nagging him.

Ouch. As the article asks, do they move Flo Adams to LT or go with a backup? BTW...how has Flo done with his false starts this season? I always believed he regressed because he needs a foot planted on his backside 24/7. His best seasons were with Bill Parcells constantly nagging him.

Saw that this morning. First Smith, now Starks. O-Line and d-line ar going to be a big problem from here on out.

I think they have to move Flo to LT.

Roethlisberger has always been able to play well behind a mediocre offensive line. Truthfully, he's more dangerous when he's scrambling.

Adams seems to have taken less false starts this season. However, I don't have stats to back that up. He was terrible for false starts in Dallas.

The Vikings safeties are terrible. Why are they even on the field? When is the last time that a Vikings safety made a play? They are ok at tackling people AFTER they catch a 15 yard pass though. The corner play is alright, but they get zero help from the safeties and now their is no pass rush to lighten their load.

Also, how does Greg Lewis have a job as an NFL wide out? He is the slowest pud I have ever seen. Must be one of Chilli's boys.

The Vikings safeties are terrible. Why are they even on the field? When is the last time that a Vikings safety made a play? They are ok at tackling people AFTER they catch a 15 yard pass though. The corner play is alright, but they get zero help from the safeties and now their is no pass rush to lighten their load.

Also, how does Greg Lewis have a job as an NFL wide out? He is the slowest pud I have ever seen. Must be one of Chilli's boys.

The Vikings defense this season is playing a lot like the Giants defense of last season. No pass rush from a previously elite defensive line, a couple of JAG safeties, and CBs looking worse then they are because of the lack of pressure and lack of support. They should really fire Frazier because that unit is looking far too complacent. Drafting or signing a great safety would also help.

By that logic Tyree should still be playing for the Giants.

Yes, Lewis was on the Vikes roster in the first place to make that miraculous grab vs. the 49ers because he is, indeed, one of "Chilly's guys" going back to their days in Philly together. And, yes, Tyree really should still be getting a fat paycheck from the Giants for winning them that Superbowl ;)

Tomlin:

Mike Tomlin says Flozell Adams was brought here to play RT and he will stay at RT, and Jonathan Scott will start at LT this Sunday.

The Vikings defense this season is playing a lot like the Giants defense of last season. No pass rush from a previously elite defensive line, a couple of JAG safeties, and CBs looking worse then they are because of the lack of pressure and lack of support. They should really fire Frazier because that unit is looking far too complacent. Drafting or signing a great safety would also help.

Even with Taylor Mays faults I would have been excited to see his play making ability with the Vikings. The Vikes have not had a safety make a play since Sharper left. I would rather have a safety who takes some chances and makes a big play a couple times a year than a couple guys who make 10 tackles 10-30 yards downfield all the time but rarely give up the big play.

First Thursday game of the season (discounting opening night) goes off tonight. Not the most compelling matchup in terms of franchise quality, but two good teams. Should be a good game.

I don't know exactly what you mean in terms of lacking "franchise quality", but this is a pretty good matchup. Both teams are very good, but are also in tough divisional races and can't afford to lose ground. I think the Falcons will pull this one together and get a tough win.

I would be pretty excited for the game if I hadn't just got the new WoT book. As it is, I'll still watch some of it.

Archived