NFL Vol. 6

Spring Bass

Pretty much. Cities rarely have public teams in more than one sport. NY and Boston are exceptions, but that is due to their size. I think Chicago has a couple public teams, but that is the Bulls and Cubs, not the Bears.

I think the Raiders moving their location twice kind of hurt them in that regard, as well as 2 decades of mostly mediocre teams.

I wish I could remember the exact list Lombardi gave about public teams, but certainly Dallas, GB, Pitt, SF and I think NE were in it. NE is the one I feel least sure about.

From what I recall, the Bears consistently rank high in popularity and ratings. They are certainly a much bigger brand than the Bulls, and are among the original NFL teams.

WSJ recently did a ranking based on the teams' TV viewing rates:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575479961782758620.html

From what I recall, the Bears consistently rank high in popularity and ratings. They are certainly a much bigger brand than the Bulls, and are among the original NFL teams.

WSJ recently did a ranking based on the teams' TV viewing rates:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703453804575479961782758620.html

Hmm, interesting it looks about what I'd expect anecdotally. Guess the only things I'm surprised by are how high the Bengals are and that the Jaguars aren't last.

ETA: Also looks familiar - did we link this before?

Hmm, interesting it looks about what I'd expect anecdotally. Guess the only things I'm surprised by are how high the Bengals are and that the Jaguars aren't last.

ETA: Also looks familiar - did we link this before?

I think so, it immediately looked familiar to me, too. And the results are from 2009, so they would be skewed by how well or worse those teams did last year.

ETA: Yes, now I remember last time I saw it being surprised how high the Chargers are, but it makes sense with how they have performed the last several years.

The talk around LA has been that The Jags are the franchise most likely to move to LA should it happen. I'm sure that their lack of popularity has something to do with that.

It really is mind-blowing that such a huge city could be without a franchise in the most popular sport.

I would agree with that being an oddity.

The talk around LA has been that The Jags are the franchise most likely to move to LA should it happen. I'm sure that their lack of popularity has something to do with that.

It really is mind-blowing that such a huge city could be without a franchise in the most popular sport.

C'mon man! Jacksonville needed a team.

If they relocate we can talk an LA team, but only after Des Moines says no.

You gotta wonder if the Vikes will head to LA if a stadium deal doesn't go down.

There was talk that with Minnesota going more red in this past election that it's more likely than ever that the state will reject any plan for a publicly funded the stadium.

Which sucks because Minnesota used up all its drama this year. What producer in LA is going to greenlight their script now?

There was talk that with Minnesota going more red in this past election that it's more likely than ever that the state will reject any plan for a publicly funded the stadium.

Yeah, that's the way things seem, although it's possible to happen if the recount for Governator goes the Dems way.

Man, got to follow this Ravens/Falcons game on Gamecast...too lazy to go down to the sports bar near me. It's killin' me!

Only go to a sports bar if they play music instead of Theisman/Papa/Millen. Otherwise, find Westwood 1 radio if you can.

Well, the Ravens actually have a valid complaint this time about the refs screwing them.

The PI on Gooden and then the non-call of offensive pass interference on the go-ahead TD were certainly both questionable... but I'm tired of the defense choking on the two minute drill. I feel like the Ravens haven't held tall on a two minute drill in three years. It's frustrating. Whatever. Always a tough task to go on the road for that Thursday game, but still. Maybe if the offense didn't suck for the entire first half, then it would have been different. Maybe if they could rush the passer in a two minute drill, then it would be different too. But I guess if they could do those things they'd be 19-0 on the year, and that's just not realistic.

Well, the Ravens actually have a valid complaint this time about the refs screwing them.

Yea that was clearly pass interference. They would still have had a solid FG attempt to win the game.

Question: in the last 2min all reviews are called by refs. But lets say it was not in the last 2min, would that pass interference no-call be challenge-able by a coach?

Yea that was clearly pass interference. They would still have had a solid FG attempt to win the game.

Question: in the last 2min all reviews are called by refs. But lets say it was not in the last 2min, would that pass interference no-call be challenge-able by a coach?

PI is not subject to review at any time.

I know it's been said before multiple times, but I feel I must reiterate that Matt Millen is horrible. Horrible.

In the future I'll be searching for a local radio station online to listen to while muting these craphole announcers.

I think it can't be said enough. We need a new "Fire Millen" movement.

Archived