GRRM's role in the series

arrowfan

IIRC, he's an executive producer and writing the script for one of the later episodes in this series. He visits the set occasionally, but isn't doing hands-on, day-to-day stuff. Would be hard, as he lives in New Mexico and has a day job. :)

Co-executive producer, but yeah, what Angalin says. :) He was involved a bit in casting -- he saw audition tapes and shared his opinions with the executive producers -- and he writes an episode, as Angalin says (episode 8, which introduces Lord Tywin, among other things). Beyond that, he does discuss some with David and Dan about where he's going with the show, what things are important to keep and what things can be dropped, etc.

But he's not on location like David and Dan are, and all the creative decisions are ultimately theirs. He visited filming in Belfast and Malta last month (and visited last year during the pilot shoot, where he had a cameo appearance which has been cut), but that's it.

It's really David & Dan's show, as they're the show runners, but they really respect GRRM's sense of the storytelling craft as well as his past experience on TV.

Just by the by: has any thought been given to a brief authorial cameo? I'd love a full Hitchcock but even a few frames (at a banquet scene perhaps?) would be tops.

As Ran says, George filmed a cameo when he was in Marocco last summer. Unfortunately, all those scens had to be reshooted with Tamzin Merchant leaving and Pentos being relocated in Malta. So the scene is cut and won't make it to the show.

We might see a cameo in season 2, provided we have a second season and that they can find a role that doesn't require standing up (George complained that he ended very tired after filimg the scene)

As Ran says, George filmed a cameo when he was in Marocco last summer. Unfortunately, all those scens had to be reshooted with Tamzin Merchant leaving and Pentos being relocated in Malta. So the scene is cut and won't make it to the show.

We might see a cameo in season 2, provided we have a second season and that they can find a role that doesn't require standing up (George complained that he ended very tired after filimg the scene)

How the hell did I miss that sentence?! :blush:

Just by the by: has any thought been given to a brief authorial cameo? I'd love a full Hitchcock but even a few frames (at a banquet scene perhaps?) would be tops.

LOL, I kid you not... in the original post I was writing, after the main question I had: Any chance of a GRRM appearance, Hitchcock style? Then I thought ahhhh, I'll get flamed for that or something, hehehe. Thank you Horza!! GRRM would totally fit right in with just about any tavern or castle setting. Maybe it's too much for us die-hard fans to ask for... but he should do it for us, just once.

GRRM is far more involved in this production than is normal for a novelist on an adaptation of their work. Usually writers sell their work to Hollywood and that's the end of their connection to that iteration of the story, even if they are listed as a producer on the project because they are famous enough to demand that extra credit (and extra fee). George, with his background in TV, has been allowed to have a lot more input in this show than is the norm. I get the impression from things he has said that they didn't NEED to give him the extra input based on his contract, but they've sought it, nonetheless. I don't think it was in his contract that he got a say in the casting or writing (except that he would be writing one episode), but it seems they've given him a lot of that.

GRRM is far more involved in this production than is normal for a novelist on an adaptation of their work.

That is clearly the truth. He seems to have a significant role as an advisor at least, and has provided plenty of input.

Which makes me wonder to what extent we could use what is being shown in the series in our discussions here about certain topics. You know, when something is unclear, as so many things are, if one would point to the tv series and suggest that what is shwon there is how GRRM intended it.

I can say at first hand that you really can't. The TV show is its own canon. Unless George confirms that some added detail from the TV series is canon for the books, it should be left out of discussions.

Archived