Westeros Blog: Mark Addy Wraps Filming

Westeros

Mark Addy, playing King Robert Baratheon (featured in one of EW’s new photos), is profiled in the York Press for his part in a Kidstory fund-raising event. However, there’s quite a lot of Game of Thrones commentary to start with, with Addy noting that he had just completed his last day of filming and is soon looking for a new gig (at the Moot, I asked him when he was done filming, but with all the noise it seems he thought I was asking when filming in general would wrap.) He reiterates that the series will film into December (we’ve been told by production members and GRRM that December 18-19th is the planned wrap date), and that he’s been told it will start airing in April.

He provides some insight into his role as Robert. Here’s some choice quotes:

“They’re pretty good stories actually. It’s a bit like Tolkien, but with sex and violence…there’s something for everyone!

“Not so much the sex for me, but there’s a little bit of violence. He’s not your standard idea of what a king would be. He’s stuck in a loveless marriage and having to make decisions he doesn’t want to. He once wanted to sit on the throne but now it’s not the bed of roses he might have wished, as he’s surrounded by enemies everywhere – and he’s a bit of a grump, which is different from what I usually play.”

Visit the Site!

Some questioned the pick but I loved the choice of Addy as Robert. It was who I actually pictured as Robert in my head when I read the books (regardless of height), so when I found out he was cast a while back, it was pretty crazy.

Can't wait til April.

Am I the only one who thinks his hair is the wrong color!? Every single picture I see I say "His hair should be coal black!" But no one ever echos my sentiments. I'm so confused. Have I gone insane? Have I gone mad?

I gotta say, I didn't like Jon's look at first but the more I see the more I approve.

I'm actually liking how drastically different the actors are from my mental images while still being able to fit the characters, if that makes sense.

It's ... not really that important, I suppose. If they use the whole genetic angle of things (and they will), I guess they'll say that all of Robert's offspring, and all the past Baratheon-Lannister offspring, always "took after the Baratheons" or maybe they'll just outright say "took after the dark brown hair of the Baratheons" or what have you.

But, see, I always saw the importance of like GRRM establishing how Westerosi genetics works through the whole incest debacle, as setting up background for the reveal with Jon Snow, with individuals strongly taking after one side of the family or the other.

They just need to say, "Valyrian" and you're pretty much set. Not that there have been any prior Stark-Targaryen crossings to act as a baseline, as with the Lannister-Baratheon crossings, anyways.

GRRM's brand of fantasy genetics basically means he can hand wave it any way he likes. I expect the producers will feel the same.

But, see, I always saw the importance of like GRRM establishing how Westerosi genetics works through the whole incest debacle, as setting up background for the reveal with Jon Snow, with individuals strongly taking after one side of the family or the other.

But if all of Roberts real kids have dark hair and the Lannister kids are blond, the essential point still holds. How dark the hair is isn't particularly important.

I never thought that reveal had anything much to do with Jon. The Hedge Knight was relevant OTOH, as it talks about how some Targaryens don't have the classic look.

Archived