Videogames Megathread Infinity+1 Edition

Poobah

Minecraft is pretty cool. I would like to see some more structure and more dangerous enemies.

Luckily, i fell out of love with Minecraft...and i will not be taking it up again, knowing what a time sink it can be.

Playing Assassins Creed 2 right now on the xbox 360. Seems better than last time. I really like the world that Ubisoft has created in this game. Both the crusades in number one, and Florence in this game. Really well done.

The thing about Minecraft is that its enemies are only trivial if you know where they are. There have been plenty of times that I thought my whole cave was safely well-lit, only to have my shit wrecked by a creeper or a skeleton that blindsided me.

Congratulations, Coco. You've managed to take a game with no rules whatsoever, and play it wrong. :P

In seriousness, I constructed an above-ground base too. But I spend little time there, and I have small depots scattered throughout the mines as well.

Finished Fable III yesterday. I was quite intrigued by how they developed things after you remove your brother from the throne. It moved along nicely. The attack against the crown could've been a hell of a lot grander, but I was willing to excuse this in favour of epicness later. However, the 'invasion' by the foreign nation was on the same scale. Very hurried and not involving that much of a challenge.

Think the game makers skipped corners, and delivered a disappointing title in the end. However, I enjoyed it and appreciated what they were trying to do in other places. The highlight of the game was the Game. Heh

Finished Chaos Rising. A lot more fun than the original campaign (which wasn't half bad itself), particularly enjoyed the Space Hulk levels. The boss fights are still boring, though, and enemies on Primarch difficulty simply have way too many hitpoints. The first part of the final mission, where you control the Predators, came down to 1. Move forward a tiny little bit 2. Kill one enemy tank/squad 3. Repair 4. Go back to 1. Combined with the long cooldown of the repair ability that took way too much time.

Still, lots of fun and now I've got a whole company of Space Marines! Though I'm sure I'll still be limited to just 4 squads/mission in the next campaign...

Luckily, i fell out of love with Minecraft...and i will not be taking it up again, knowing what a time sink it can be.

Playing Assassins Creed 2 right now on the xbox 360. Seems better than last time. I really like the world that Ubisoft has created in this game. Both the crusades in number one, and Florence in this game. Really well done.

I recommend Assassins Creed: Brotherhood when you're done; unless you want to take a break from that type of game for a bit, since its pretty much exactly the same as AC2. Still loads of fun though, especially the few bits where you actually get to leave Rome.

Best random bit so far:

Machiavelli asks Ezio how he's going to accomplish something, and Ezio replies 'Virtu', and Machiavelli repeats it questioningly with an odd look.

I laughed for about a minute.

I swear... a friend of mine must have SC2 schizophrenia or something.

We played last night, a lot. And he was actually playing really good. He's been improving the past week or so. He was building units, getting a decent army comp. Not falling too far behind me on supply. Following my lead. Listening and coordinating with me.

And tonight... let's just say not so much. And my rage levels have now topped out :( Like a completely different player.

-Poobs

I recommend Assassins Creed: Brotherhood when you're done; unless you want to take a break from that type of game for a bit, since its pretty much exactly the same as AC2. Still loads of fun though, especially the few bits where you actually get to leave Rome.

Best random bit so far:

Machiavelli asks Ezio how he's going to accomplish something, and Ezio replies 'Virtu', and Machiavelli repeats it questioningly with an odd look.

I laughed for about a minute.

Yeah, Brotherhood is a fantastic sequel. There were a few things I would have liked to see made more interesting (such as recruits), but as far as sequels goes it definitely is a success. The multiplayer makes for some interesting and new play as well.

Anyone play the game Risen before?

I've got it sitting on my shelf right now and I'm planning a play through once I'm done with Dragon Age. The 30 or so minutes that I've played of it however has left a lot to be desired. There seems to be a bug that makes it impossible to pick up items after you've engaged in a battle unless you open your inventory screen first; Very annoying.

Anyway, if anyone's played it, is it worth overlooking the bugs/poor graphics?

Still, lots of fun and now I've got a whole company of Space Marines! Though I'm sure I'll still be limited to just 4 squads/mission in the next campaign...

Actually, while I don't think they've gone into specifics, they've said the next expandalone will have larger battles. That is, the player gets larger forces to control. I believe this also applies to multiplayer.

So, being an FPS guy primarily, i bought Call of Duty: Black Ops.

I have played the multiplayer for a total of twenty minutes, and it is one of the buggiest pieces of shit i have played since Wolfenstein. Terrible. My friend says it was better before the last patch, but my point would be that for one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, how is a buggy piece of shit release acceptible?

Its not. This is the last COD that i buy. Not in a fit of childish anger, i hope, but because however small my purchasing power may be, i'm done with buying buggy games. Put them out right the first time.

We shall see if they can redeem themselves by actually making a FPS that i can play.

Actually, while I don't think they've gone into specifics, they've said the next expandalone will have larger battles. That is, the player gets larger forces to control. I believe this also applies to multiplayer.

Interesting. Would be nice if you could actually split your forces to flank the enemy. So far that leads to your army getting wiped out 99% of the time.

Hm, it'd be cool if you could allocate the resources of the entire company. "Okay, 3 tactical squads and both devestators will hold the line here while I lead the remaining tactical and assault squads to strike at the enemy's command structure."

Demon's Souls. By FAR.

Though there aren't only swords as weapons in the game, but you have a good variety of them, and they're all great to use.

Welllllll there's this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqxMpdohHo

But in terms of something that doesn't require any physical movement, other than your fingers and thumbs, I'd agree.

Say hi to Raziel next time you see him, and tell him to put on some pants.

So, Gran Turismo 5 is now out. Any love for that game here or is it all RPG and FPS in this community?

Archived