How many other people really like Tommen?

gautsid

You know, I don't think I've ever seen Tommen compared to Edward VI... I suspect that may be quite an apt comparison, however. If Maggy the Frog was right, Cersei will live to see Tommen buried. Sad, really, he's such a sweet and innocent child.

I'm not that sure about that comparison. Tommen is just a more realistic, less plain-out-villain, small version of Caligula like version of a boy king than Joffrey was. It is to be expected that a boy of eight does not decide anything at all, and that is even more true in reality than in fiction.

It's pretty unlikely that Tommen is going to 'rule' as long as Edward VI though, as the signs really point towards a Targaryen restoration (attempt) and the death of both surviving children of Cersei Lannister (Maggy's prophecy).

I really like Tommen - and I really would like to se him getting rid of Cersei as some kind of benevolent Nero: 'Well, mother, apparently you can swim better than I thought, but beware of knifes in the dark!'

That would have been if there had been a five year gap.

But I also would like to see the political chaos unfolding if someone (Varys) would assassinate him to plunge the Lannisters and Tyrells in an outright civil war. At least the Lannisters would not survive this if they would still struggle with the Faith at that time.

I think he's a sweet kid. I especially like seeing him with his kittens. But I still think he needs to die. There can be no surviving Lannisters with claims to the throne around when someone else gains power. Myrcella and him will have to be killed, it's too bad really. He's the most innocent character in the whole book (well it seems so anyway).

Tommen's quite likeable and I appreciate how Martin sketches out his character more than he needs to in FFC; he's an obvious foil for his sick, lazily evil brother in the first few books.

I disagree with others saying he'll get killed soon-if the Faith sweeps all before it, maybe, but if the council manages to reconstitute its authority in King's Landing, Tommen is everything a shadow-government could want: young, good-natured, pliable, and utterly lacking in any solid power base to appeal to when people like Littlefinger and Varys tell him to do something that doesn't agree with his sweet nature.

I think little Rickon is going to grow up to be a violent, impulsive, maybe "evil" character. You can sort of tell by the way Shaggydog is described.

Agreed. Shaggydog is a vicious beast and while he nay seem innocent now (even with quite a temper) who know what he'll be like after being with Osha for so long.

I agree entirely. I think that Rickon will at the least be more Wildling than anything else and possibly even more direworlf than human in the end.

It's an interesting idea that Rickon might end up warging straight into Shaggydog and leaving his old life behind forever. I can see the impetus behind such a move. We see Bran and Arya warg, but we are never specifically told about Rickon. Hmmm...I wonder....

I think little Rickon is going to grow up to be a violent, impulsive, maybe "evil" character. You can sort of tell by the way Shaggydog is described.

The way Shaggydog behaves just reflects Rickon's fear and mistrust of outsiders, and the wildness growing in him. The fear, mistrust, and wildness all have the same source: the fact that all the adults in his life have gone away south and not come back. Rickon has a heart of gold. He loved his family and all the people he knew in Winterfell. Now, he may turn into a wild and angry and impulsive man...but never an evil one.

I believe Tommen is also, like Rickon, a sweet kid. He doesn't have the wolf nature Rickon has - in Rickon's place perhaps he might not even survive - but they both have good hearts.

Tommen seems to be a sweet kid. Too bad his mom is a psychotic bitch and he had a psychotic older brother. He at least has family who is trying to get him away from her so she doesn't fuck him up like she did Joffrey.

Kevan Lannister to Cersei "And from what I saw of Joffrey, you are as unfit a mother as you are a ruler."

I love Tommen, but except for his attachment to Margaery and the defiance of his mother that arises from that attachment, he seems much younger than most 8 year olds. Compare him to Bran in the first book, for example, when Bran was only 7.

Bran was raised as a Stark though. Think of their house words...Winter is Coming.

Tommen, however, was raised as a Prince but not as the Crown Prince. I think it's safe to say that he's spoiled and not as prepared as Bran was at his age.

Like Winterborn and others, the 3 black kittens had me convinced. I'm a fan.

I agree that his upbringing would lead him to tend toward more baby-ish-ness than Bran or others; it also provides an ironic contrast to the more ambitious Lannisters, and to his unexpected rise to the throne, which I believe is meant to be tragic, due to the war and Cersei's prophecy and the general state of KL. The black kittens seem to foreshadow doom, since we know what happened to the last precious kiddie with a black kitten in the Red Keep.

Bran was raised as a Stark though. Think of their house words...Winter is Coming.

Tommen, however, was raised as a Prince but not as the Crown Prince. I think it's safe to say that he's spoiled and not as prepared as Bran was at his age.

:agree: Very valid point there. While Tommen was probably enjoying the young years of the "spare" in a royal court, Eddard tended not to fuck around when it came to making every single one of his boys a real Stark. His comment about Rickon (who is what, four?) having to grow TF up speaks a bit to that. Grim folks up north. :uhoh:

Archived