WikiLeaks at it again.

snake

Ahh America thinking it can act with impunity and talk shit about its allies behind their backs? Why am I not surprised.

I'm not really sure we can personify an entire country like that; when it comes down to it its individuals doing the shit-talking, not the country itself.

I'm not really sure we can personify an entire country like that; when it comes down to it its individuals doing the shit-talking, not the country itself.

When the individuals are apparently speaking on behalf of the entity... yes I can.

When the individuals are apparently speaking on behalf of the entity... yes I can.

Except you don't know this at all.

The information is so fucking sparse right now, you can't make any claim of this sort at all.

Based on what it says in the article, America is officially telling people "ok, just be calm because some shit about us that you aren't gonna like is coming out soon". Sends a pretty clear signal.

Based on what it says in the article, America is officially telling people "ok, just be calm because some shit about us that you aren't gonna like is coming out soon". Sends a pretty clear signal.

No, it doesn't. It says it involves personal communications with "political dissidents and friendly politicians" that could erode trust in the US.

That's so vague there's no way to draw any conclusions from it. Which makes it strange that you've immediately decided the US is stupid and fuck them and that this was all done in an official capacity, based on ... nothing.

Why is it up to this dude to potentially destabilize the world and it's political relations amongst countries?

Anyways, Canada is thrilled they finally get a Wikileaks shout out.

Seriously? This is the "bad thing"?????

Specifically, the documents coming out are rumoured to involve the kind of pressure that Washington was putting on allies to take their Guantanamo Bay detainees back and spare Obama the embarrassment. Canada has been unique as a western ally of the U.S. that has refused to take back its Gitmo resident, Omar Khadr.

The potentially damaging news is that the US pressured the Harper Government to do the right fucking thing and stop being a bunch of Bushian racist cumstains?

I have no idea what's in the documents, aside from what I've read in the Globe and Mail. Ultimately, it could be damaging to international relations. Or it could be reports on abuse of unicorns at Guantanamo. Who knows.

In general, I ask why the founder of Wikileaks feels like he's the moral ground, out there on the interwebs. Find me a leader, anywhere at any time in history who didn't do underhanded dealings over something. This isn't about the US and how the gov't has done wrong. This is a question about what makes Wikileaks right.

I suspect it may involve US embassy officials spying on foreign nationals (which it is expected that they do, but if confirmed usually leads to expulsions) there was some brouhaha about that over here a couple of weeks ago.

This is a question about what makes Wikileaks right.

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

It's not worth arguing with those who hate America blindly. You'll never change their minds and often, people who generalize Americans as stupid or evil--well, why hang out or talk with any bigot? Ya know?

I have no idea what's in the documents, aside from what I've read in the Globe and Mail. Ultimately, it could be damaging to international relations. Or it could be reports on abuse of unicorns at Guantanamo. Who knows.

In general, I ask why the founder of Wikileaks feels like he's the moral ground, out there on the interwebs. Find me a leader, anywhere at any time in history who didn't do underhanded dealings over something. This isn't about the US and how the gov't has done wrong. This is a question about what makes Wikileaks right.

I don't understand criticizing the releasing of these documents as they clearly are not military-based and do not endanger people's lives. Sure Jullian Assange comes off as a self-assured d-bag but what he's really doing is very healthy for the world (except in cases where they release war documents that could endanger others -- but that debate has no place here in the current batch of released documents). Obviously world leaders have done vile, underhanded things since the dawn of mankind but that's no reason for it to continue and not hold them accountable. Wikileaks is the precursor to politics in the information age and making government dealings transparent is an extremely healthy thing for politics and democracy imho.

ETA: That and, you know, drawing attention to things that our popular media fails and refuses to report on...

How is this going to make people more accountable? How is it going to prevent backroom, underhanded deals or government threats? Shit happens.

All it's going to do is drive this kind of behaviour further underground and/or breed a new sort of traitor, or make it impossible for the things that need to be done, to get did. People over the course of time have had opportunity to come forward and 'tell the truth' but they haven't, because of the bigger implications.

This isn't whistle-blowing. Julian Assange is more vile than a self-assured douchebag. None of this, to me, sounds like 'look at what the US gov't is doing'. It sounds like 'look at what I can do with my fancy computer skills and I hope I make the cover of Time and Wired.'

As for the truth setting people free I ask, what price freedom?

I never understood Assange-hate. I understand Assange-praise, but not Assange-hate. Personally, I feel Assange-apathy.

He gives an appearance of scum and sleaze based on his effeminate appearance and passive-aggressive behavior. Add the allegations of rape to his active attacks against US policy and it's easy to see why he provokes hatred.

I'm not saying that he's scummy or sleazy. I'm also not saying that he looks effete or acts passive-aggressively or that he raped some chick. But I do understand the hate against him.

I wonder if he has family.

Archived