Rugby

The Anti-Targ

I don't think lack of options in the back row is Ireland's problem. Heaslip, Ferris, O'Brien, Wallace, Leamy and Jennings etc is probably about as good if not better as anyone else in the Northern Hemisphere. Maybe you lack a top class out and out openside but that's been less of an issue with the new law interpretations at the breakdown.

The top 4 are probably Ferris, Heaslip, Wallace and O'Brien and two of those are injured. Given that we didn't perform well, i'd like one of those to recover. :)

But yes, why Ireland play so badly all the time is a great question!

But yes, why Ireland play so badly all the time is a great question!

I'd say a little lack of motivation, it's mostly the same players that win a Grand Slam two years ago. And ageing player might play too. It's Ireland recurring problem : lack of new blood to replace the old ones hence the necessity to keep players well after they should have retired. First match of the tournament against a team that never a match against Ireland in the 6N.

For Ireland, Wales, England, and France playing against Italy is often seen as an automatic victory and an occasion to scorer lots of tries. Only Scotland has problems winning against Italy in Italy.

Some big matches this weekend for Ireland and wales in particular, I think it could be make or break for both teams if they want to have a good build up to the World Cup.

Wales really need to win a game against reasonable opposition and if they lose this game they might be in seriious danger of getting the Wooden Spoon. They've still got a lot of talented players and if you compare them on paper to Scotland I'd still say they have the edge but they haven't been playing anywhere near as well as they should be. I'm not sure that Hook at flyhalf is the answer for a team lacking direction, it never has been before for Wales or the Ospreys, and I expect Scotland to win possibly by a reasonable margin.

Ireland have pretty much run out of excuses for not playing well, they're playing at home and they've got a good mix of youth and experience with a lot of top class players and they have no reason to be caught by surprise by France. I actually think we might see a bit of a backlash from Ireland this week and some players might replicate their club form, so I can see Ireland getting a win.

I actually think we might see a bit of a backlash from Ireland this week and some players might replicate their club form, so I can see Ireland getting a win.

Hopefully but I see us losing unfortunately. I just would like us to play well enough at least.

Scotland and England would be the other favourites I suppose.

Bit one-sided, this.

Just a bit.

A good win for England, the wheels came off a bit for Italy but England played well in pretty much every phase of the game and scored some very good tries against an Italy side who usually defend well for the first 40-60 minutes at least. The performance of the lineout in particular was impressive with Hartley, Wood and Palmer all stepping up again in the absence of Croft. Six tries from two games isn't a bad start to his Six Nations career for Chris Ashton either.

Ireland the better side so far!

I think they've mostly been quite a lot better but I don't think their halfbacks are having a great game so far despite O'Leary scoring. When they've had the ball in the French half they've looked dangerous and I think they need Sexton and O'Leary to be a bit sharper and put a bit more territorial pressure on the French.

Much needed win for Wales yesterday. More down to the poor performance of Scotland than anything though.

Definitely a big win for Wales, Scotland were shocking but Wales were clinical when they had oppotunities and defended well. Hook was a lot better than I thought he was going to be and Wales will hope they can kick on.

Terrible loss for Ireland in the end. They improved in a lot of areas and scored three reasonable tries but they gifted a France team that contributed very little in attack 25 points and basically shot themselves in the foot. Even after doing that they still probably should have won the game in the final minutes. England will probably be feeling better about their chances of winning a Grand Slam after that game.

Terrible loss for Ireland in the end. They improved in a lot of areas and scored three reasonable tries but they gifted a France team that contributed very little in attack 25 points and basically shot themselves in the foot.

I didn't think we deserved to win because of that. Too many penalties given away. Too many unforced errors. Especially in the first half.

The fact that we messed up a lineout in the last 10 minutes and then that last fiasco. Ouch. Although we have beaten France a few times, they have beaten us way too much over the last 10 years (when we have been reasonable). Unlike other northern European teams. We needed the win this time.

At least we improved today. But you know there is going to be a backlash by Scotland in the next game. So this tournament could still be a very difficult campaign for Ireland.

Archived