Lannister hair color...

Maester May

I may actually be in the minority here, but I actually like the hair color of the Lannisters. I think they decided to go for a more realistic, less "fantasy" approach on the Targeryns by making them an actual shade of hair found in people that aren't albino or have strange aging properties like that one dude from American Idol a few years ago. And, I think it still works very well as far as the incest/seed-is-stong aspect too. When I was growing up, I had blonde hair the same shade as Joffrey's, now it's even darker blonde than Jaime's is portrayed in the series, so IMO it's not really too dark.

I am wondering why they gave Ned long hair and Jaime short(er) hair... I guess I always pictured Ned clean shaven and with short hair. Oh well, it's a minor gripe, and I'm sure they went with this style because it suited each of the actors' looks better. I really like the screen grabs of Kit Harrington as Jon Snow, but wow, they really changed his look. Not really how I pictured Jon Snow, but maybe they felt the actor looked too young clean shaven too be of an age with the guy playing Robb. Speaking of Robb, wow, that is spot on! Really digging the reddish facial hair, that is almost exactly how I pictured him. Just about everybody else with very much screen time really struck me as spot on.

Ned does have long hair in the books, but it's brown there, while HBO seems to be opting for a lighter color for Ned in all but the, hrmm, the pilot episode?

I agree that Robb is visually perfect, and the Lannisters' hair isn't bothering me either. Jaime's hair looks more like dark blond than brown to my eye. I wouldn't mind them making it a little more gold next season though (even though that's the time he starts looking all grody).

I also had trouble picturing Robb, Bran, and Rickon with auburn hair, and thanks to this series I don't think I'll ever be able to now.

Totally agree there, I've never been able to picture any of the Stark kids with anything but brown hair (aside from Sansa).

I had suspected that they wouldn't give the Lannisters white-gold hair. It'd look too confusing with the Targs.

I'm quite glad they decided to go darker. I think that the main thing that matters is that all the Lannisters have much the same shade, and that that shade is markedly different from the other main families. Which it is. And it'll still look pretty blond when hit by strong sunlight. Not so much indoors, which is fine.

I think it's much more natural and less distracting this way, too. I find Dany's hair pretty distracting in it's fakeness to be honest - I'm glad I'm not distracted by the fakeness of the Lannister hair too.

I may actually be in the minority here, but I actually like the hair color of the Lannisters. I think they decided to go for a more realistic, less "fantasy" approach on the Targeryns by making them an actual shade of hair found in people that aren't albino or have strange aging properties like that one dude from American Idol a few years ago. And, I think it still works very well as far as the incest/seed-is-stong aspect too. When I was growing up, I had blonde hair the same shade as Joffrey's, now it's even darker blonde than Jaime's is portrayed in the series, so IMO it's not really too dark.

I am wondering why they gave Ned long hair and Jaime short(er) hair... I guess I always pictured Ned clean shaven and with short hair. Oh well, it's a minor gripe, and I'm sure they went with this style because it suited each of the actors' looks better. I really like the screen grabs of Kit Harrington as Jon Snow, but wow, they really changed his look. Not really how I pictured Jon Snow, but maybe they felt the actor looked too young clean shaven too be of an age with the guy playing Robb. Speaking of Robb, wow, that is spot on! Really digging the reddish facial hair, that is almost exactly how I pictured him. Just about everybody else with very much screen time really struck me as spot on.

I thought it explicitly mentioned that Ned has a short beard at the very least.

I really like the screen grabs of Kit Harrington as Jon Snow, but wow, they really changed his look. Not really how I pictured Jon Snow, but maybe they felt the actor looked too young clean shaven too be of an age with the guy playing Robb. Speaking of Robb, wow, that is spot on! Really digging the reddish facial hair, that is almost exactly how I pictured him. Just about everybody else with very much screen time really struck me as spot on.

The decision to age up Jon wasn't made from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Dany needed to be aged if they were going to be able to legally show her in sex scenes, and if she was going to be aged then obviously everyone else who was born around the same time (in Robert's Rebellion) had to be aged up as well.

And as for the facial hair, maybe Jon would have ended up with that same look in the books at that age? If I remember correctly he's starting to grow a light beard/mustache. I think.

The decision to age up Jon wasn't made from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Dany needed to be aged if they were going to be able to legally show her in sex scenes, and if she was going to be aged then obviously everyone else who was born around the same time (in Robert's Rebellion) had to be aged up as well.

And as for the facial hair, maybe Jon would have ended up with that same look in the books at that age? If I remember correctly he's starting to grow a light beard/mustache. I think.

Well, I wasn't really referring to aging Jon Snow the character up... I knew that to be the case. I was talking about the actor playing Jon Snow compared to the actor playing Robb. The actor playing Rob could pass for being anywhere in the 18-24 range, IMO, whereas Kit Harrington looks more like 18-20.

Well, see, there's a cultural difference between the US and Great Britain, largely related to the legal age you have to be to buy alcohol (and tobacco). Because it's only 18 in England, lots of teenage (14-17) boys try to grow as much facial hair as possible to look older, so they won't get ID'ed. A tall, thickset fifteen year old with a moustache might just about pass for 18.

In America, where you have to be 21, no-one bothers, because there's no point - no fifteen year old is going to pass for 21 unless they're being played by Robin Williams in a movie. But to UK viewers, Jon Snow with a moustache looks likes a boy trying to appear a man.

Tyrion having "hair so blond it might be white" should have been a bit different from Jaime and Cersei. That's because I tend to believe that could well be a plot point in the near future.

Dany and Viserys hair works for me because if it wasn't ridiculously abnormal then they wouldn't be so striking.

Taergs aren't supposed to look remotely like "real" people.

For some reason I always pictured Tyrion with dark brown hair, even though I knew it was meant to be blond. Maybe I was trying to convince myself that he wasn't really a Lannister!

Be assured that you are not the only one who saw him with brown hair. Dunno why but Tyrion was never blond in my head.

Tyrion having "hair so blond it might be white" should have been a bit different from Jaime and Cersei. That's because I tend to believe that could well be a plot point in the near future.

Unfortunately for lovers of that theory, I think the decision to darken Tyrion's hair may have been the kiss of death for it. Cos let's face it, I think it's highly unlikely GRRM wasn't asked his opinion. It seems it may well have been a red herring, in the end.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that theory involving Tyrion at all, so I hope that's an indication that people were reading too much into his description. However, if it is true, who's to say he didn't simply take after his mother in the hair department?

Exactly. Jon Snow took almost entirely after just one side of his family.

Be assured that you are not the only one who saw him with brown hair. Dunno why but Tyrion was never blond in my head.

Same here. Not that I ever had a very clear picture of Tyrion to begin with. Very short, and with a mental label of "unattractive." but no clear image. Noseless? What? Never pictured that, or the mismatched eyes, etc. I guess the generic hair color of my mental imagination would be some sort of light brown, so that I what I imagined Tyrion with.

I always imagined Tyrion as Peter Dinklage, sometimes with brown hair- sometimes with blond hair... I didn't have as fixed hair color in my mind for Tyrion, as I did for Cercei or Jaime.

As for Jon, I don't mind the curly black hair, it looks great against his white skin and black garb. Goth girls are going to sigh around the globe. ;)

The dark eyebrows on Dany fit. On my mothers side of the family almost everyone has natural pale blond with dark eyebrows (I didn't favor that side sadly), so it works in nature and I think it looks nicer than pale brows.

Archived