All-purpose TV nitpick extravaganza thread.

I dunno, I think plenty of people are seeing things that make them go "OMG that's perfect!!". All the reactions at this point are premature, technically speaking, but we still have the reactions. Like I said, I'm more than willing to wait and see. Even with things I like, like the Jaime casting. I think he looks the part and I feel as confident as can be allowed for at this stage that he has the general vibe, but I really have never seen him act and might end up not liking the handling of Jaime at all. Things can obviously change.

Well I assume that when someone says 'perfect' they are simply talking about the appearance.

We haven't seen a single episode yet. Nitpicking is fine, but its ridiculous to make a sweeping judgement of an actor/character before we see them in action, whether positive or negative.

Thanks Datepalm, i am glad u said it first, he is too ingrained in my mind as sharpe and boromir, should have gone for a relative unknown imo..

For me it isn't a question of Bean's association with other roles, or his familiarity, but that he simply doesn't strike me as being Ned physically or within his acting range.

I think of Ned as slim, with dark hair, sharp features and the suggestion of coldness to him. Bean is stocky, with fair hair, broad and bold features and with a kind of warmth or heat to him in the sense of internal fire brimming to the top.

One has only to look at the fanart out there, the statue from Valyrian Resin, the Komark painting, etc. etc. etc. to see visually how Ned is described in the book.

Beyond the physical is a bit more of a personal interpretation, but a good part of my lack of enthusiasm about bean comes with the knowledge that Ned in this series is more of a man of action, a warrior, and seems to lack the cold temperament and reservation that defined his character in the book.

Visually, the guy they have playing Benjen is nearly perfect.

Well I assume that when someone says 'perfect' they are simply talking about the appearance.

We haven't seen a single episode yet. Nitpicking is fine, but its ridiculous to make a sweeping judgement of an actor/character before we see them in action, whether positive or negative.

I don't think it's only appearance. We've also seen some actors in other roles, and the majority of even very good actors are not true chameleons. Most actors have a certain range of characterizations that lie in their bailiwick, because they naturally bring certain qualities to a performance. A lot will go into the effect a character produces: the physical looks, sure, but also the general persona/demeanor, the acting talent, the words given to the character by the script, the way the director directs the actor, etc. We don't have all these pieces yet, but we are getting a sense of some.

I agree that sweeping judgments are not in order yet, but I don't see many people doing that. Most people significantly qualify their impressions or state them moderately to begin with.

Regarding Ned (for example), Sean Bean doesn't have the look or persona/vibe I think is naturally appropriate for Ned. His acting choices might make up for it somewhat. But some of his lines that we've been given suggest that there's a definite change of direction for the character. Personality I find the suggested change less interesting than what was in the book, so Ned remains at the bottom of my list of things I'm excited about w.r.t. this production. I don't make the claim that he definitely will be bad, though. Even the lines we've been given that seem jarring, they might play better in the final product, we'll see. I can't imagine how, but I can definitely leave the door open for the possibility. I just don't see a need to feel like he's a fit when I don't, yet. If he isn't, well then HBO technically has the right to change things in an adaptation (and fans have a right to react as they naturally will/want to). And that's really all there is to it. FWIW I think you can make the case for the choices for Ned making good commercial sense.

Dragon eggs: way too small. I didn't even realize those were dragon eggs until I went through that awesome screencap archive and read the caption. I thought it was some sort of exotic pinecone or something.

I pictured them smoother, like snake scales. I don't like the flared scales, but then again, it is a relatively minor point and it is more dramatic visually this way.

Visually, the guy they have playing Benjen is nearly perfect.

And this.

That'd be Robert about ten years prior to the story, perhaps, before he added on about 100 lbs. of flab onto his frame. It's nothing at all like how he's actually supposed to look in GoT, though.

Renly's never actually described as looking fierce at all (Gendry, OTOH, yes)... and I think Robert looked more drunk than fierce by GoT. He was definitely on the downhill.

But that's the thing about imagination, everything is a bit different in everyone's head. :)

Ah, yeah I misremembered the chapter when Davos likens Edrid Storm's look to Robert and Renly.

Yet index Edric Storm was three inches taller and broader in the chest and shoulders. He was his index father's son in that nor did he ever miss a morning's work with sword and shield. Those old enough to have known Robert rivet and Renly as children said that the bastard boy had more of their look than Stannis had ever shared; the coal-black hair , the deep blue eyes, the mouth, the jaw, the cheekbones.

For some reason I assumed the word "fierce" was there as well but it was in a line at the top of the page describing Edric Storm's persona, rather than Renly and Roberts.

I guess I Imagined him as how I wanted him to look. :lol:

If I were to be picky, there's so many things I agree with (wigs especially - Cersei's wigs - blech), no snow, etc. etc. etc. BUT, I come from a theatre/film background, so intellectually I feel I'm usually prepared for adaptations. However, I've been somewhat shocked at my emotional reaction to 2 things - much of the aesthetic choices all told - especially the representation of King's Landing - with all this sun and palm trees - and the casting of Catelyn.

When Fairley was first announced, and there was a Catelyn-gate, I rolled my eyes, and said to myself, well no matter who they choose, fans are going to argue. The casting for the most part is superb IMO, and I know what can be done with makeup, lighting, hair, etc. Can the person capture the "spirit" of the character (and/or bring an aspect t the character that breathes life in a way I can buy into). This is why I'm horrified to realize that however much I want to like Fairley in the role, in the few pictures and trailer bits I've seen, I just don't. :crying:

However, I'm so invested in liking her, that I'm hoping when the show goes up, I will enjoy her performance.

Oh, and Magister Illyrio is nowhere near fat enough! ;)

...much of the aesthetic choices all told - especially the representation of King's Landing - with all this sun and palm trees...

This one I just don't get because when I read the books I see King's Landing (at least in Summer) pretty much exactly this way.

I have to agree with many of the others on Robert. I really think they should have gotten someone bigger. He was a fierce fighter in the past, and I just can't imagine the current actor having EVER been any kind of warrior. Meh.

I also don't like Daenerys. The hair does not look natural, it looks so much like a whig it's ridiculous.

Sandor's face. Should be more scarred.

Archived