All-purpose TV nitpick extravaganza thread.

The art department choices for the Dothraki are consistently like nails on a chalkboard for me. They don't make ANY sense for a powerful nomadic society of their scale, and obviously they don't match the books.

I know, it's fantasy and doesn't have to reflect our world, but ASoIAF has always more or less followed the basic logic that tends to influence human social behavior and I can't think of a single human society of the Dothraki scale that had such absurdly poor workmanship in their material culture. It makes even less sense when you consider that the Dorthraki are raiders who pillage and trade goods - not only with other nomadic groups, but with highly advanced civilizations.

There is absolutely no logic to their appearance, other then to provide a reeeally condescending (and offensive) shorthand that they are supposed to be "primitive." Honestly, the books are orientalist enough... HBO doesn't need to step it onto a nonsensical overdrive. It's kinda racist, and it's really implausible.

Bean is stocky, with fair hair, broad and bold features and with a kind of warmth or heat to him in the sense of internal fire brimming to the top.

Stocky? Wow. He's a fairly thin guy. So much so that his fans sometimes worry about his health. I'd call him wirey. They can do screen tricks to make him look bigger than he is. But take a look at Sharpe's arse retreating in every episode and you'll know he's not stocky. Sean will do fine as Ned.

Changing the plot to have the Tullys enter in season 2.

I have classified this as (just) "nitpicky" because in general moving new characters from the climax end of season 1 to the next season is a reasonable and good step.

However, i want to keep the last Catelyn chapter as close to the original as possible. Have the whole political situation of "new" westeros explaind, keep the lords arguing, "the king in the North. THE KING IN THE NORTH". I would even go so far as to have Caetlyn give her thoughts about "the sword being the real bride of Robb" to some trusted person sitting next to her (as it is so great to see this scene through the eyes of a concerned mother, not only as OMFG KING IN THE NORTH !!!1).

And lords, lords, lords.

My nightmare is some half-heartly crowning after the whispering woods, with the greatjon shouting and 3 or 4 lords in the background.

Well, there are plenty of northmen to squeeze in there, we don't have to know them all by name to see them: Bolton, Manderly, Cerwyn, Tallhart, Umber, Karstark, Mormont, Glover, and then all their soldiers. The original king in the north scene was a council of lords in a big great hall, but if this is going to be more on the fly, it'd make sense to see the troops right there with the lords.

I mean stocky in the sense that he has a broad or 'robust' build, not that he is overweight or anything of the like.

This is stocky?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e271/incognitia999/seanBeano_and_Ayres_Gold_1994.jpg

In films, they can dress him to look much bigger, like Boromir, Black Death, Red Riding.

He and Viggo Mortensen are basically built the same.

I think it's Bean's facial features that give him the "robust" vibe even though he's actually kinda scrawny... Film generally relatively face focused, & Bean definitely has a physically bigger gestalt than he actually is... Kinda like what's happening with Emilia Clarke's features imo.

I'm totally fine with both casting choices though, I was initially pretty freaked out by Mark Addy looking really wrong to me, but based on the trailers so far he's one of the people I'm looking forward to the most. I really think it's gonna be hard to tell how much anyone truly fits until it's on air.

Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick... Almost nothing so far looks like I imagined it to be, is that a nitpick?

But okay...

Visually - Jaime's short brown hair, Renly's short hair and scrubby beard, the Kingsguard armor, the Lannister helmets, the non-purple eyes of Viserys and Dany, the non-green eyes of the Lannisters, Sandor Clegane's beard, the lack of tabards showing off the House sigils over the armor, and I could go on and on (it would take less time to tell which looks I like).

Storywise - still early to tell, but, making Ned a badass fighter and removing the Tullys for Season 2 so far bug me.

Jaime's hair may be short, but they've definitely given him blond hair.

Does this, this and this look blond to you? Cause where I come from, that's brown.

What really nags me is that Nicolaj Coster-Waldau seems so perfect for the role. Why didn't they just strap him a blond wig and be done with it faithfully?

Yes, he definitely looks blond to me in that first one, I think the lighting is deceptive in those other two pictures. He's unmistakeably blond in others like this one. http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/jaime.jpg I like his hair a lot and glad they didn't put a wig on him. The wig they're using for Cersei doesn't work well for me in some of the pictures with it up, though I thought she looked great with the hair down.

Jaime's hair looks pretty blond to me, but I do wish they'd gone a little blonder and like, 3 inches longer.

Hair his shade is funny though, I've gotten into some brutal arguments with friends about whether hair that color is blond.

It's a very significant plot point for the Lannisters, especially Cersei and Jaime and their children, to have blond hair. I'm surprised people would think the producers would just ignore that and let Jaime have brown hair, though if they focused only the pictures with darker lighting, I can see how they'd come to that conclusion. There's different varying shades of blond hair, and I agree it would have been a good idea to make it lighter, but since they did actually make it a shade of blond, I'm quite fine with it.

So the only thing that really, really got to me in the 'Making of A Game of Thrones' was Dinklage's 'british' accent.

Am I the only one?

No. I adore Dinklage and think he's ideal for Tyrion, but his accent sounded a little too forced and slightly unnatural when compared to the natural English accents in the show. I'm trying to reserve judgement as it was only a short clip and its possible his accent has improved over filming. He's an amazing actor so hopefully he can pull it off.

Oh, I thought of one.

The purple and brown thing that Robert wears (notably at the Tourney) is one of the least impressive things they could have put him in. It is just so plain, as if almost no thought at all went into it. Hardly the wardrobe of a king known for his extravagances. And, in addition to that, it makes him look smaller.

I'm not usually the kind of person who nitpicks about the appearance of characters...but Cersei/Lena's wig looks terribly fake, especially when she's wearing some elaborate hairdo. If her hair is just loose it looks better.

As for Jaime/Nicolai, I think wigs should be avoided if possible, maybe they could bleach him a bit?

(We wouldn't want bloody fights about whether he's blonde or not ;) )

As fraternal twins it's not strange to me that Cersei and Jaime don't have the exact same shade of blond hair, but I know this does differ from the books as the books emphasize how much the Cersei and Jaime looked alike, so it's an understandable complaint for the nitpick thread. I just wanted to try and clear up the misconception of Jaime's hair not being blond at all.

Archived