Elder Scrolls V anounced!

Darzin

Bethesda claims otherwise.

They are now, yeah. Oddly, a few weeks back they were saying it was still Gamebryo but updated. So there is still this fear that for Bethesda 'completely new' isn't quite the same as what we'd call 'completely new'.

We can live in hope, however. I'd guess that this new engine will also likely power Fallout 4 (assuming Bethesda follow the release pattern for the last two, ES5 in late 2011 and FO4 in mid-to-late 2013).

They are now, yeah. Oddly, a few weeks back they were saying it was still Gamebryo but updated. So there is still this fear that for Bethesda 'completely new' isn't quite the same as what we'd call 'completely new'.

We can live in hope, however. I'd guess that this new engine will also likely power Fallout 4 (assuming Bethesda follow the release pattern for the last two, ES5 in late 2011 and FO4 in mid-to-late 2013).

Nowhere in that article that you linked does it say that ES5 is just using an updated Gamebryo engine.

I'm withholding judgement until we see the quality of the ingame books. Not that it matters that much, but if they actually put the effort into doing the lore right this time (as opposed to essentially recycling everything from Morrowind) I'll be confident that the game will be worth playing. Plus, the books are my favorite part--after figuring out what was actually going on in Morrowind the game was so much more fun.

Honestly, I expect that at least won't be shit like Oblivion (if FO3 and NV are anything to go on--NV actually came dangerously close to being good), just not sure if it will be worth playing or not. It really depends on what sort of team they assemble.

I'm withholding judgement until we see the quality of the ingame books. Not that it matters that much, but if they actually put the effort into doing the lore right this time (as opposed to essentially recycling everything from Morrowind) I'll be confident that the game will be worth playing. Plus, the books are my favorite part--after figuring out what was actually going on in Morrowind the game was so much more fun.

Honestly, I expect that at least won't be shit like Oblivion (if FO3 and NV are anything to go on--NV actually came dangerously close to being good), just not sure if it will be worth playing or not. It really depends on what sort of team they assemble.

Fallout New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda.

Fallout New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda.

I know that, but it does represent practical experience in designing the sort of game Skyrim is going to be. Anyways, in the end, it isn't studios that matter so much as people. If good people are put on the game like NV, it should be good considering all the practice, if not...

Morrowind was a damn good game. I loved how alien the setting of Morrowind was. The silt striders, the great mushroom plants, the cliff racers, the ashstorms, etc. Oblivion was pretty damn plain, which bugged the shit out of me. I was hoping Elder Scrolls V would be set in one of the more interesting provinces of Cyrodill (Black Marsh, Elsweyr, The Summerset Isles, or Valenwood). It sucks that it's set in Skyrim. :(

I loved Morrowind, it was a great setting and learning bits of lore and connecting it to the game was great Oblivion was meh after the newness wore off.

But after Fallout 3 and New Vegas I'm optimistic about this game as those were both way better than Oblivion.

What do you guys think about a pseudo-sandbox game with the entirety of Tamriel using random map generator. With some massively epic story line (my obvious choose would be the rise and/or fall of the Empire in Tamriel, where you play the instrument of fate).

Lots of pro's and cons.

See, I'm against the idea of a random map--so much of the fun of Morrowind and New Vegas for example, has been in the loving details put into the creation of the world by the designers, and I would miss that for one.

Huge random generation worked back in the Daggerfall days, but now it would suck, quite frankly. Especially since that sorta is Bethesda's main problem anyway, they are great at setting up this awesome and huge world, but the more you play the game, the more paper-thin, lifeless, and implausible it seems. So I'm more for a tighter focus with good characterization, deep storylines, in depth conversations, a more realistic game engine (i.e. better "awareness" of your actions in the game world) etc.-- anything is better than hundreds of cloned and two-dialogue lined NPCs.

After fixing the shallow nature of the game they need to get away from the dumbing-down trend that Oblivion showed, and make the combat and magic more engaging and fun to play. Those are the three biggest flaws.

Am I the only one who loved Oblivion? I mean, yeah, the end of the game kind of sucked, but I still played it for an absurd amount of time. Of course, I never played Morrowind, so maybe it's the comparison that kills Oblivion.

I loved Oblivion as well, so much so that I spent several hundred hours playing it. I've never come close to putting so much time into any other game. Sure it had it's faults, but it was still a blast to play. I even got my wife sucked in and at the time she hated video games. Thanks to Oblivion I've gotten her to play Fable, Fallout, and Dragon Age. Hopefully Skyrim can address some of the faults without changing too much. I was almost as excited to see the teaser for Skyrim as I have been for the GOT teasers. Been waiting a long time for the next elder scrolls game.

Nowhere in that article that you linked does it say that ES5 is just using an updated Gamebryo engine.

Hmm.

“The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.”

Am I the only one who loved Oblivion? I mean, yeah, the end of the game kind of sucked, but I still played it for an absurd amount of time. Of course, I never played Morrowind, so maybe it's the comparison that kills Oblivion.

Yup, and

I spent hundreds of hours on Morrowind and loathed Oblivion. Maybe it's time for Bethesda to make something good again.

The same for me. I did finish Oblivion but I was never tempted to start a 2nd game or to play one of the expansion pack, while I spent a huge amount of time on Morrowind, played Tribunal and Bloodmoon and restarted it countless times. I was never as overwhelmed by Oblivion as I was by Morrowind the first time I played it, and never had as much fun with Oblivion as I had with my high-level characters in Morrowind (when I would just basically fly to the Red Mountain and punch the crap out of Dagoth Ur).

I don't have my copy of the game with me, but this thread makes me want to play it again. (and I will as soon as I can snatch it).

'Overwhelmed' is a good word to use to express just how vast and exotic Morrowind is, and that's cool and all, but wouldn't be for everyone. Oblivion was a smart move as a follow-up, and I appreciated it and had some good fun with it. Both games have their pros and cons, but I don't think Oblivion is so far off Morrowind. Although, given the time that followed after Morrowind, it would've been cool to get something a little more impressive. Hopefully we'll get that with Skyrim.

What do you guys think about a pseudo-sandbox game with the entirety of Tamriel using random map generator. With some massively epic story line (my obvious choose would be the rise and/or fall of the Empire in Tamriel, where you play the instrument of fate).

Lots of pro's and cons.

Doubtful because it's a PS360PC game. The clunky old consoles wouldn't be able to hack that sort of pace without taking a major visual quality downgrade. We are talking ancient 2005/2006 technology with those machines, and not even state of the art at the time (except the Cell processor, which went largely untapped until recently, by which time PC was already well ahead once again).

They could always go Dragon Age on it and make rather different, and lower quality, experiences for the consoles. Treat those dirty console gamers like the low life faux-gamer scum that they are. We know the true profits for games like this come from the PC right?

I am trying not to look forward to this and failing, though I agree that a few other provinces might have a chance of greater interest. (And more difficulty in creating the game, I suppose.)

Though I still haven't played Oblivion yet... it won't run on my PC: I got it for PS3 last Christmas and just haven't had time. Must catch up before next year.

Archived