Jaime Lannister and Brienne

C.T. Phipps

... I think they feel LOVE for each other, but destiny broke them apart. Not saying they don't feel comradery or somethig, but Ithink they have a little something for each other as well.

The best escenario would be them havin sex and killing each other afterwards (there's no place in Westeros for half a knight and a double woman anyway)At least it would be fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you can really end one or the other's story without either them actually announcing out loud "I love you Jamie/Brienne". I'd like to think that if either of them do end up dying, it'll at least be in each other's arms. Maybe fighting against an unstoppable foe. But GRRM seems to gain sustinance from the tears of bitter fans, so you know. Not exactly hopeful.

But you know what pairing I'd really like to end up seeing? Bran and Meera as Lord and Lady of Winterfell. Am I the only one reading into their awkward blushes and hand-holdings?

You're a fan of the Sandor/Sansa idea aren't you.

I personally think Jaime should hook up with Asha. They'd make a wonderfully snippy pair.

How is Brienne/Jaime like Sandor/Sansa? Brienne might be a naive twit like Sansa, but Jaime is different enough from Sandor the raging emo teenager. Also, Brienne is not scared out of her mind of Jaime, so the pairing is actually possible...unlike S/S.

While I definately think these two have feelings for each other, I just don't see them ending up together. I can't really see Jaime settling down with anyone no matter how genuine his feelings for her may be and, last time we saw Brienne, she was hanging from a tree!

That's not to say it's an impossible outcome for them, merely an unlikely one.

I like Jamie/Brienne, at least partially because Beauty & the Beast stories always seem to feature ugly men and beautiful women. ...I can't think of any, off the top of my head, that don't.

Actually, I can't think of very many women in all of fantasy who are both a) good guys and B) unattractive, unless they are Crone or Mother-types, and then they are almost always described as having been stunning in their youth.

• 7 months later...

Last we heard of Jamie and Brienne - they were headed back to Lady Stoneheart at saltpans... I think they do have a love/admiration for each other, and therein lies the tragedy. Lady Stoneheart will want him dead, he will demand a trial by battle and Brienne will be Lady Stoneheart's Champion because Beric is truly dead. They will be forced to fight to the death. I have a theory that Brienne will volunteer - as she knows Jamie won't survive unless she sacrifices herself. They will fight, and she will tell Jamie to kill her. He may even disarm her and use oathkeeper through her heart and we find he is AA reborn, the red sword of heroes, among the smoke of Thoros fire, salt of the saltpans. Brienne may be the Nissa-Nissa... Kind of crackpot, I know...

The thing that I"m unsure about is Septon Meribald, it was stated that he was released by the BwB, I'm not sure if he is in leaugue with them or not. If he isn't maybe he would go back Quiet Isle and see if the Elder Brother could maybe help Brienne and the others, it wasn't really just that they were taken captive after defending the children. The Elder Brother seemed upset by the attack on Saltpans and knows everything about Briennes mission and it seems possible that he might reluctantly decide to get involved. We also don't know if he knows what Stoneheart is or was, or if he is all ready involved with the BwB, he did strongly reccomend against her going to Saltpans and it was Meribald who took them to the Inn at the Crossroads but it possible that they will play a role in what happens depending on what they truly are.

Yup, definitely think there is love between the two of them - especially with Brienne towards Jaime.

It would be an interesting dynamic; as others already mentioned, it's always the ugly guy and the beautiful woman in stories, tv shows and hollywood movies. While it is always a decent lesson on inner beauty, it is rarely done when the roles are reversed....it's always the beautiful woman's job to accept the unattractive man. Its funny, a lot of the cases it is highly accepted and even encouraged if the man isn't that great looking (And sometimes doesn't even have great personality) while the woman is a bombshell....but if a woman wasn't attractive and the man is the perfect one, then it is frowned upon (Unless said woman gets a makeover).

But at the same time, I don't really expect a happy ending for the two of them. There are so many circumstances and obstacles surrounding them.

Good lord I hope not!

No offense to the Jaime/Brienne fans but it's way too storybook for me. Beauty and the Beast. The formerly bad man reforms and falls for the woman who is beautiful on the inside. Bah! No thanks

In addition to finding the twincest endlessly amusing tee hee.. I might be the only person on the planet who actually likes Brienne with Hyle lol. I just think he's a better fit for her if she lives.

I love Brienne with Hyle. Otherwise, she's sort of like a femalemTyrion in that she is ugly, but loves only the most gorgeous men in Westeros, first Renly, then Jaime.

There will be no happy ending between them, this is Martin we're talking about. But there is definitely some weird attraction between them that is, in it's own weird way, sweet to see and experience. I do expect both of them to die, especially Jaime, but I am not sure how they will die but I wonder if Brienne will die for Jaime or him for her.

Last we heard of Jamie and Brienne - they were headed back to Lady Stoneheart at saltpans... I think they do have a love/admiration for each other, and therein lies the tragedy. Lady Stoneheart will want him dead, he will demand a trial by battle and Brienne will be Lady Stoneheart's Champion because Beric is truly dead. They will be forced to fight to the death. I have a theory that Brienne will volunteer - as she knows Jamie won't survive unless she sacrifices herself. They will fight, and she will tell Jamie to kill her. He may even disarm her and use oathkeeper through her heart and we find he is AA reborn, the red sword of heroes, among the smoke of Thoros fire, salt of the saltpans. Brienne may be the Nissa-Nissa... Kind of crackpot, I know...

That doesn't sound crackpot to me. I'd like to see them wind up together but if they don't that's what I wanna see.

I had the feeling while reading the books that there was some attraction between them as well, especially as their relationship evolved. It's almost like Jaime was so fascinated with her "hideousness" (hey, he thought all of the terrible things about her - not me) and Brienne in general that eventually he became kind of protective of her, and then maybe something else. Brienne almost has a crush on him like a little kid, but she is a maiden, don't forget. I doubt any real romance will come from it...but who knows, it would be pretty cool, and a real fu to Cersei if she found out! I can only imagine.

I love Brienne with Hyle. Otherwise, she's sort of like a femalemTyrion in that she is ugly, but loves only the most gorgeous men in Westeros, first Renly, then Jaime.

Except unlike Tyrion, she's not attracted to gorgeous guys for their looks alone and is perfectly capable of viewing the opposite sex as people and appreciating them for their personalities. Hyle has a plain face, but she liked him well enough until she realized that he's an utter dick. She only started to fall for Jaime when she realized that he's not completely evil like she believed and is capable of some decent actions. Attraction is not something someone can control, so it's not shallow to be attracted to good-looking people. It's shallow to view the members of the gender you're attracted to only as their bodies and little else.

Except unlike Tyrion, she's not attracted to gorgeous guys for their looks alone and is perfectly capable of viewing the opposite sex as people and appreciating them for their personalities. Hyle has a plain face, but she liked him well enough until she realized that he's an utter dick. She only started to fall for Jaime when she realized that he's not completely evil like she believed and is capable of some decent actions. Attraction is not something someone can control, so it's not shallow to be attracted to good-looking people. It's shallow to view the members of the gender you're attracted to only as their

bodies and little else.

But Hyle starts to show some decency too in that he does not take credit from Brienne when they go before Randyll Tarly, and if he started to show some more respect for her, who knows? Brienne, at least, has some good repartee with him, instead of getting tongue-tied and bashful, as she does with Renly and Jaime. On third reread so much of what I thought was verbal repartee between Jaime and Brienne was actually just In hismind--one of the many reasons Jaime is one of my favorite POVs.

I don't see Brienne as the settling-down-type either. In my idealist mind, I see the two of them running off together doing heroic deeds.

:agree:

This has always been my first choice for how Brienne and Jaime end up - riding off into the sunset as a modern day 'Dunk and Egg' pair, the knights of the smallfolk and the little people, helping to right the wrongs that the big-name lords ignore.

Brienne gets to be the 'true knight' that she's always wanted to be and Jaime gets to redeem his name by walking away from wealth and privilege to go help the helpless.

Plus, those who want a romantic relationship can decide that one will develop down the line and those who don't want any romance can decide that B&J will just remain friends. Everybody wins!

I realize of course, that the chances of this happening are painfully small :crying: but I'm still holding out hope - at least until GRRM kills one of them off.

Ravenhair, I wasn't objecting to Hyle/Brienne in the previous post, though I do severely dislike them together, I was mainly objecting to Tyrion comparison. Brienne is nowhere near being a female version of him.

But Hyle starts to show some decency too in that he does not take credit from Brienne when they go before Randyll Tarly

Why should he be congratulated for an act of basic human decency which should be expected from him anyway?

And if he started to show some more respect for her, who knows?

...He better start if he survives, since he could only get out of the noose with her help. He's yet to do it, though. I thought his proposal was as disrespectful as they come.

Brienne, at least, has some good repartee with him, instead of getting tongue-tied and bashful, as she does with Renly and Jaime. On third reread so much of what I thought was verbal repartee between Jaime and Brienne was actually just In hismind--one of the many reasons Jaime is one of my favorite POVs.

YYMV and all that. I prefer the dynamic between Jaime and Brienne. I've seen some people saying that Brienne's dislike of Hyle doesn't come off as genuine, but I've never once got the impression that she didn't want him to back off during the times she told him to.

Archived