Jaime Lannister and Brienne

C.T. Phipps

I had the feeling while reading the books that there was some attraction between them as well, especially as their relationship evolved. It's almost like Jaime was so fascinated with her "hideousness" (hey, he thought all of the terrible things about her - not me) and Brienne in general that eventually he became kind of protective of her, and then maybe something else. Brienne almost has a crush on him like a little kid, but she is a maiden, don't forget. I doubt any real romance will come from it...but who knows, it would be pretty cool, and a real fu to Cersei if she found out! I can only imagine.

I had the feeling that he was trying a "little to much and to hard" not to like herwhich for me meant that he was into her deep down. i do really hope there will be something between them. if I cannot have Tyrion and Sansa them I really need Jaimie and Brienne..

Ravenhair, I wasn't objecting to Hyle/Brienne in the previous post, though I do severely dislike them together, I was mainly objecting to Tyrion comparison. Brienne is nowhere near being a female version of him.

Why should he be congratulated for an act of basic human decency which should be expected from him anyway?

...He better start if he survives, since he could only get out of the noose with her help. He's yet to do it, though. I thought his proposal was as disrespectful as they come.

YYMV and all that. I prefer the dynamic between Jaime and Brienne. I've seen some people saying that Brienne's dislike of Hyle doesn't come off as genuine, but I've never once got the impression that she didn't want him to back off during the times she told him to.

Ravenhair, I wasn't objecting to Hyle/Brienne in the previous post, though I do severely dislike them together, I was mainly objecting to Tyrion comparison. Brienne is nowhere near being a female version of him.

Why should he be congratulated for an act of basic human decency which should be expected from him anyway?

...He better start if he survives, since he could only get out of the

noose with her help. He's yet to do it, though. I thought his proposal

was as disrespectful as they come.

YYMV and all that. I prefer the dynamic between Jaime and Brienne. I've seen some people saying that Brienne's dislike of Hyle doesn't come off as genuine, but I've never once got the impression that she didn't want him to back off during the times she told him to.

Well, his proposal was disrespectful, but honest. Here's what you get and here's what I get--someone on the Boards described Hyle as a poor man's Jaime, and maybe that is true. Brienne certainly liked Ser Hyle better than all the others involved in that horrible wager until Randyll Tarly told her what was actually happening (again a surprising bit of decency from a character whom we expect to be nothing but cruel and callous). Jaime and Brienne have all the Beauty and the Beast elements, and their story would certainly be more romantic (was I cheering when he went back to rescue her from the bear pit and told her "I dreamed of you."? Of course! I was happy when he Jaime felt a "stirring" around Brienne because it was for an woman other than Cersei.)For some reason, though, I just like Brienne with Ser Hyle--perhaps because it's more realistic. However, i I won't be disappointed with some type of Jaime and Brienne match-up--he is my favorite POV. I do think it's strange that the two ugliest characters in terms of looks, Tyrion and Brienne, only go for the prettiest people.

But Hyle starts to show some decency too in that he does not take credit from Brienne when they go before Randyll Tarly, and if he started to show some more respect for her, who knows? Brienne, at least, has some good repartee with him, instead of getting tongue-tied and bashful, as she does with Renly and Jaime. On third reread so much of what I thought was verbal repartee between Jaime and Brienne was actually just In hismind--one of the many reasons Jaime is one of my favorite POVs.

Wow. Interesting observation. If I reread, I will look for this. (I wanted to reread right away, but I feel like I ought to read something else rather than just start the series over again...)

I do think Brienne admires Jaime, and I think she has feelings of love for him, although I'm not sure she fully understands or is fully willing to accept them. When she dreamt of the time when she received her Rainbow Cloak, it was Jaime, not Renly- her idolized love - who pinned it on her.

"She went to sleep dreaming of the fight they'd had, and of Ser Jaime fastening a rainbow cloak about her shoulders."

I think their final destinies are connected and they will or die together or by some miracle stay alive. I agree that their chances to live are almost zero but this is Martin we are talking about, maybe cause everyone thinks they will die, he will keep them alive.

Brienne obviously has a thing for Jaime, she replaced Renlys picture in her dreams with Jaimes, and i think her feelings for Jaime go deeper than the feelings she had for Renly. Renly was her king, not her friend, she didnt know him as a person and they had only guard/knight - king relationship.(I believe she had this superficial teenage crush on him, she idolized him and that can hardly be called love ) She knows Jaime well, probably better than even his family members, does not idolize him at all, she knows what kind of man he is and still develops deep respect for him. I dont think she knows how to explain those feelings, she is not aware that she is falling for him. There are places in the text, where she is thinking about him, that obviously have sexual connotations ("and he came to her through that mist, naked like on his name day, looking half a corpse, half a god" And another one "and another part that wondered if Jaime would comfort her should she weep upon his shoulder. That was what men wanted, wasn’t it? Soft helpless women that they needed to protect? " - ok this one doesnt have sexuall conotations but has emotional one )

Jaime, on the other hand, gets dissapointed with his sister/lover, feels betrayed and realizes he was used and lied to all of his life and from a person he loved the most. I do believe that Brienne represents all he didnt become and had a chance, and in a way she is the only person he currently believes. Weather he is atracted to her or not is hard to say, but he certainly develops respect for her, trust and some sort of protective feelings.

i do believe they will face tragic end but maybe not before their relationship gets deeper and more defined. If there is any possibility of romance in ASoIaF, then my bets are on two of them caus etheir relationship was build gradually from the beginning and I do believe Martin will not let that go just like that.

No. Either Brienne gets hanged by UnCat or she gives in to murder Jamie in which cause either of them will die. I don't think it will work out for them.

Oh please like there's no possibility of them escaping from that situation... seriously? I don't think there's any chance of them not getting together.

• 1 month later...

I think GRRM is setting us up for something with Jaime and Brienne....but it's probably going to be super awkward, like two teenagers who have no idea what the hell they're doing...

I also think things probably won't end well for them either, most likely quite tragically.

• 1 month later...

I have a few thoughts/questions about Jamie and Brienne. I haven't read ADWD yet, but I know basically what happens in it, and I do think it's still likely that they will get out of the UnCat situation somehow, without anybody killing anybody. I am curious about whether at some point the existence of "matching" swords made from Ice will become important. Brienne has the one meant for Jamie, but will Jamie at some point acquire the one originally meant for Joffrey? Where is it now? I had thought that perhaps the word Brienne shouted was Ice, and that her having it would help her convince Lady Stoneheart that she was telling the truth, but having thought about it more, I think Catelyn is so far gone that that wouldn't help, or it would just make her more angry, like Brienne is out to hurt Sansa with Ned's own sword. But I do think there must be some significance to the 2 sword thing.

Also, I know some people think Brienne's quest is a bit pointless. However, in all fairness, she did consider going to the Vale several times, she just hadn't gotten there yet. She appears to abandon the idea once she finds out Lysa Arryn is dead, but she might have picked it up again. Also, she did manage to get onto Arya's trail, so it's not like she wasn't able to accomplish anything at all. But more importantly, I wonder about the lines where Jamie talks about how broken she is by the news of the Red Wedding and Catelyn/Robb's deaths. He says it almost made him want to comfort her. I feel that sending her on this quest is only peripherally about Sansa herself, and mostly his way of trying to "comfort" her, to return to her the sense of purpose and meaning she needs to recover from her grief for Catelyn and making her feel that she is still able to fulfill her oath in some way. I do think if she actually could find Sansa and keep her safe, that would be a bonus, but I don't think it's the main point, I think his focus is more on Brienne and her state of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh please like there's no possibility of them escaping from that situation... seriously? I don't think there's any chance of them not getting together.

Exactly! First of all I think it's still too soon for Jaime to die. I think he'll make it to the last book, likely. Probably same with Brienne, although I see one or both of them dying by the end of the series.

If Brienne was really going to kill Jaime she would have done so, and just brought Cat his head. I think Cat wants her to bring him to her and the BwB to answer to for his crimes in person. And who else is there? Gendry and Thoros. I think they still have a part to play in all of this too. Perhaps they will help Brienne get away with Jaime? Brienne did help protect the children in the Inn when Rorge and Biter attacked after all.

Also in the show they were very clear that Cat made an oath that she would never make Brienne do something that would bring her dishonour. Is that in the book too? I can't remember and I'm not that far in my re-read yet, but if she does perhaps that has something to do with Cat's undoing? She is alive because of magic, perhaps if she breaks her word that magic will also fail? Just a thought.

I see Brienne continuing her search for the girls. Maybe with the help of Jaime too. Possibly even with Gendry and Thoros. (Although I see Thoros dying soon.)

Anyways I think these two have a good chance of having something romantic. Perhaps they will only be able to share a kiss before the end, but I can see it happening. They started out loathing each other and yet gradually they came to deeply respect one another. They have built something of a friendship in their time together and strangely they trust each other more than they trust ANYONE. And there is some romantic feelings there already. They have both been physically attracted to each other but I think the biggest thing for them is they are attracted to what's on the inside more than anything. Brienne is like no woman Jaime has ever met and Jaime is more complex and honourable than Brienne had ever expected. They make a good team.

Also, I see why some people would be against another 'Beauty and the Beast' story line, but then again with these two that's sort of been turned on its head. It started out as that. Jaime was beautiful and Brienne homely. And on the inside Jaime was a monster, and Brienne pure. However Jaime is no longer this beautiful man that everyone worships. He's mangled and it's been said he's aged greatly. He likes his scruffy beard, his hair is not as golden as it used to be, or as well kept. In fact, I think it's even got a little grey in it now. And Brienne is perhaps not as pure as she used to be. To me they are more two very damaged people finding comfort in each other. I think they are more equal now in a lot of ways. Whereas The Hound is still a beast and Sansa still a beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

On a reread of Feast, I realised that he thinks about her on average twice per chapter, and she thinks about him twice per page....

"And Jaime had emerged from the mist, naked as his name day, half a corpse and half a god". "It turned out her king wasn't Renly but Jaime, and she had failed him" and so on.... I find it hard to believe that it's only about her oath and her duty.....

I'd like to see some romance in asoif, and Jaime being my favorite character, I'd like to see him "in love", but not in the destructive love he shares (shared?) with Cersei.

That said, I think they'll reunite (not under the circumstances in Dance), they'll cooperate in some bad-ass plan and tell each other how much they respect one another.... But their actually hooking up (!!!) is as likely as finding nipples on a breastplate that are useful.

In her confession to the Elder Brother at the Quiet Isle, she mentions Jaime's name no less than 6 times in about a paragraph. We heard about how many times she shouted out his name during her fever after Rorge's bite. There is no doubt in my mind that she is completely in love with him already. His emotions are more complex. He thinks of her often, and is on his way to loving her, I think, but he is still in the process of disentangling himself emotionally from Cercei. What happens next depends in large part on how much their circumstances will allow, I think.

Archived