Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Now granted, my BBC viewing is limited to Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sherlock, Being Human, and Merlin, but only Being Human gets near the level the HBO does in terms of grit, not to mention nudity and blood. I shouldn't even include Merlin I suppose. That show is as bloodless as a Saturday morning cartoon.

check out the new show Copper, which features a child prostitute offering the protagonist a BJ in the premier episode. It was a pretty ballsy depiction, on par with or exceeding what you'd see on American cable TV.

• 1 month later...

Lynch wrote yesterday in the Fantasy Faction forum thread What Fantasy Books Haven't you Finished?

The Republic of Thieves.

(I am so sorry. I simply couldn't resist. In the immortal words of my grandfather: "If you can't laugh at yourself, you're an asshole.")

Cheers,

SL

P.S. It ain't the finishing that's the issue, it's the editing and the miserable damned anxiety attacks.

P.P.S. I'm working on both as you read this.

P.P.P.S. None of this is the fault of my editors or publishers. They have been patient and steadfastly helpful during a long difficult period of my life.

Hmm, seems like he didn't only post there, but also registered just to post. Not sure if it's a good sign or a bad one. :) But I do hope the editing process eventually comes to an end, not to mention his anxiety attacks. I really miss GB.

Of course, having been commissioned by and initially broadcast on BBC America, Copper actually is American cable TV. With a loose BBC connection, of course, but not the best example of dark fare on the BBC itself. Are they even airing it?

Not that I can tell. It seems to be very similar to the "real" BBC "ripper street" in terms of setting so they are maybe waiting until R street finishes and how popular it is before airing a similar type of show? I'd be interested in watching it.

I can sort of relate to Scott's situation, When I was writing up my thesis it was the editing that killed me. I remember actively avoiding my supervisor as i knew it would result in more edits and while it was ultimately for the best I used to hate being told something wasn't quite good enough. His situation seems exponentially worse and I can easily see how it could become a real problem when you know how many people will eventually read it. In my case I'll be surprised if there is ever more than 4 people read my thesis.

It seems a sensible tactic of his to try and tackle both the editing and the panic attacks as I'm sure one feeds into the other.

I hope he takes heart in the fact there are many fans who are patiently looking forward to ROT.

• 3 weeks later...

Gollancz have a 'major announcement' to make tomorrow at 1pm GMT. I would not rule it out being Lynch-related. It could also be related to Morgan (apparently it's still not decided if his fantasy series will be 3 or 4 volumes, so that's to be confirmed) and there's probably a few other possibilities, but something Lynch-related is most likely. Abercrombie appears to be on sabbatical and hasn't even started writing the Next Big Trilogy yet (as far as we know, anyway) and there's nothing else from a Gollancz author I can think of that would require such an announcement.

Every time I see this topic on the first page I wonder "maybe the book is finished." Then I see the thread isn't at the very top of the page and realize that probably isn't the case.

There goes Wert: Making thousands of people sit forward in hopeful expectation seeing the thread bump. :)

Gollancz have a 'major announcement' to make tomorrow at 1pm GMT. I would not rule it out being Lynch-related. It could also be related to Morgan (apparently it's still not decided if his fantasy series will be 3 or 4 volumes, so that's to be confirmed) and there's probably a few other possibilities, but something Lynch-related is most likely. Abercrombie appears to be on sabbatical and hasn't even started writing the Next Big Trilogy yet (as far as we know, anyway) and there's nothing else from a Gollancz author I can think of that would require such an announcement.

Could it be the final Kingkiller book from Rothfuss?

Being told Morgan's series is a 4 parter rather than a 3 parter isn't exactly good news. Would be nice to have Lynch confrmed - something to look forward to in winter.

"Remember, Red...hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

I will be hoping. Not holding my breath or anything, but hoping. It is possible that Lynch is, if not "done" exactly, close enough to being done editing that Gollancz feels comfortable setting a firm release date - similar to what was done with GRRM and ADwD last year. I'll note that Lynch hasn't made a joking reply ot the @gollancz twitter feed on this subject, which is something he often does. Maybe that's reading tea leaves. It could be news on Richard Morgan, as Wert points out above (though I'd agree that Morgan's series being 4 parts is something I wouldn't personally take as good news)... He also has a pretty extensive appearances list for this year... but again...tea leaves.

(edited b/c I am stupid and don't proofread)

Seriously unlikely- Rothfuss would have been making noises prior to now about being near completion on his blog, I'm sure.

Alastair Reynolds is a Gollancz author, right? Possibly his new book. Especially given the hype around his million pound, ten book advance, Gollancz have got every reason to hype any new release from him hard.

Very unlikely, as that news would normally come through DAW first, or through the author himself.

Can't see Gollancz publishing that first, and besides, it seems that Rothfuss is still a long way off from finishing that 3rd book.

Archived