What was the single most stupid decesion any character made?

Horatz

I'll go with Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling as well. His war effort was going relatively smoothly but he lost it in the blink of an eye with that. Really bad mistake there.

Alternatively I'd also choose anything/everything Catelyn has ever done. :) Some of her decisions dumbfound me (i.e. Tyrion's arrest with very little evidence)

For myself, I would have to say there are three that turned the tides and they are in different points in the story.

1) Eddard Stark would be one of them for going to Cersei first when knowing of the childrens illegitimacy.

Alot of things could have been different if he had only went to Robert instead, and obviously Ned underestimated the extent of her cunning.

2) Robb Stark made a terrible decision in marrying Jeyne Westerling.

He had to know the type of person that Walder Frey was and he also had to know that he would never let the issue rest.

In turn, his marriage cemented his and Cat's fate the moment Frey had heard of it.

The action that technically caused the beginning of all of this I will list as well and if I absolutely had to choose one this would be it.

3) If Lysa Arryn had never written that note to her sister, Catelyn, then most of the events that proceeded probably wouldn't have.

Catelyn and Ned both were in fear after reading that.

Ned, of course, felt that it was his duty to go and search out the truth, which in turn caused him to happen upon the truth of paternity of Robert's children.

Hindsight is 20/20. But even with that, no, going there was as disastrous as making bread. What Ned did there was what was disastrous for him.

Besides, it was Lysa/LF's secret letter that made them decide on going, in the end.

Yes, but Cat knew full well what type of guy Ned was, and she knew he didn't have a stomach for scheming and conniving (and if she didn't, he made that abundantly clear to her before he went). Ned warned Cat that King's Landing was a viper's nest, yet even after Cat got Lysa's letter about Jon Arryn, she STILL insisted on him going, even with the knowledge that the last Hand was poisoned.

Yes, Ned's actions in King's Landing may have led to his downfall, but Cat, his wife, had to know that he wasn't made of the same stuff characters like Varys and Littlefinger were. It almost leads me to believe that Cat wanted to kill Ned, or else she would've pleaded for him to stay at Winterfell, like she did on the TV show (funny that was reversed that for the show... Cat warning Ned instead of vice-versa).

But my point was, when Ned accepted Robert's offer and ventured off to King's Landing, that set all of the other wheels in motion. Had Ned remained Warden of the North, there probably wouldn't have been a War of Five Kings (although, Stannis still probably would've made a claim on the throne), and the Stark kids, certainly, wouldn't have gotten so screwed. But of course, if Ned had refused Robert, GRRM wouldn't have had a book.

Aside from the whole Eddard-Cersei thing I'd say the Red Viper seriously messed up at the end of his fight with Gregor...he got a little bit carried away and too close -_-

Not really. Oberyn got what he wanted- a slow painful death for Gregor. I think that, plus the confession, was more important to him than his own life. He knew the risks of fighting Gregor and of playing with him but he felt it was worth it for Elia

Archived