Who do you imagine to be the most beautiful/handsome person on the ASOIAF planet, living or dead?

Horatz

I agree that Dany is the most sexualized, in the sense that sex just pervades her storyline - in quantity, quality, plot significance, personal issues, background detail (how decadently oriental do you need to be to stick 100 foot high etoric carving on external city walls?) , etc, but her sexuality is always such a commodity, eventually to herself also.

I think this is good training for her. A Queen needs to be familiar with ALL aspects of human behavior! Plus, she fantasizes about Daario, so she's not solely seeing her sexuality as a commodity, and she also enjoys being with Drogo. IIRC, when she's first going out into the Dothraki Sea and Drogo is with her in the tent at night, her cries "were no longer of pain."

Yes, she seemed to have a pretty good sex life with her sun-and-stars, despite some hints of him occasionally being a tad rough. I agree with the emphasis on her sexuality and I will confess to finding Jorah's attraction to her a bit icky. I get it: she's experienced, been married and pregnant, a queen etc, but she's still so young. And he's... not.

I do understand that I'm likely applying modern day standards here, though. Girls got married as soon as they 'flowered' in the past, in many societies. For all intents and purposes, Dany's an adult.

Maybe it was simply that instance of him being unable to tear his eyes off her bared breast when she was dressed Qarth style :(

Besides Dany, Arianne's sexuality is also quite played up, not just when we see her through Arys' POV, but even Areo Hotah's (describes her as being little, but very voluptuous). And she uses it well, too.

Yes, she seemed to have a pretty good sex life with her sun-and-stars, despite some hints of him occasionally being a tad rough. I agree with the emphasis on her sexuality and I will confess to finding Jorah's attraction to her a bit icky. I get it: she's experienced, been married and pregnant, a queen etc, but she's still so young. And he's... not.

And Daario is a creep and Drogo, for all that he could have been worse, the man she was sold to at 13. (I notice no one is mentioning either of them in the "most attractive man" category, despite both being described as handsome.)

I just never felt like I got to know Drogo at all. Nor that there was much personality or depth there. He was more a symbol, if you will.

With Daario, he's definitely sinister and likely untrustworthy and might be one of the betrayers down the line. But Dany's young, she's lonely, and it makes some sense for her to be drawn to the guy despite his shortcomings. For one thing, despite his outward reverence, he has some insolent moments that are probably thrilling for her (as they would be for a young woman at that age). You know, the whole 'he's imagining me naked' stuff.

I don't think Dany's ever had a normal connection with a man yet. She was treated as property by Viserys, and with Drogo their relationship seemed confined to sex and public appearances. We never saw them just hanging, or talking, or being intimate in other ways. He was kind to her, overall (by her standards anyway), so she was fond of him.

Then she was Khaleesi and Mother, and received adulation and obedience from pretty much everyone surrounding her (Jorah was the only one who spoke to her honestly and frankly). So overall, I think Dany needs to learn a lot about men, more than the fact that they like the look of her and would want to bed her, at any rate.

I will confess to finding Jorah's attraction to her a bit icky.

I think part of it is just the characterization of Jorah. To me he's a very convincing and familiar personality type: someone who basically means well and could be a good friend, but has such a deep well of bitterness and self-pity, and is so weaselly about anything that might reflect badly on him, that you wouldn't want to get with 1000 miles of being in a romantic relationship with him.

There's some basic aggressively-pathetic quality that Jorah has in common with Viserys (but in a less insane way). And Dany knows Viserys's issues all too well, so maybe that's why Dany starts to sense pretty early on that she might need to maintain her boundaries with Jorah, even when she's being naive about a lot of other people.

I think part of it is just the characterization of Jorah. To me he's a very convincing and familiar personality type: someone who basically means well and could be a good friend, but has such a deep well of bitterness and self-pity, and is so weaselly about anything that might reflect badly on him, that you wouldn't want to get with 1000 miles of being in a romantic relationship with him.

There's some basic aggressively-pathetic quality that Jorah has in common with Viserys (but in a less insane way)... snip

Nicely put. The difference between his reaction and Selmy's after being outed is a perfect example. From canon we know Dany was still torn and disposed to forgiving him; yet, his aggressive arrogance made that impossible.

What do you think Jorah will do now? Will he turn against her and seek to undermine her? Still love her and try and help, albeit from afar? Methinks the former, if your analysis of him is taken into account.

There's some basic aggressively-pathetic quality that Jorah has in common with Viserys (but in a less insane way). And Dany knows Viserys's issues all too well, so maybe that's why Dany starts to sense pretty early on that she might need to maintain her boundaries with Jorah, even when she's being naive about a lot of other people.

Nicely put. The difference between his reaction and Selmy's after being outed is a perfect example. From canon we know Dany was still torn and disposed to forgiving him; yet, his aggressive arrogance made that impossible.

What do you think Jorah will do now? Will he turn against her and seek to undermine her? Still love her and try and help, albeit from afar? Methinks the former, if your analysis of him is taken into account.

All good points, which helped me define my view of Jorah. Before I started reading the books in Autumn 2009 I knew already he was going to be played by one of my favourite actors. (I could say that my ASOIAF-reading friends and Iain Glen, with Sean Bean's help, conspired to bring me to this ASOIAF obsession :D ) So I was favourably prejudiced towards him.

Despite this, his behaviour disappointed me exactly for the reasons mummer and doomsday detailed. He is weak; this might not be a defect in itself if admitted honestly, but he whined about it. Barristan shone in the comparison. The good thing is that he disappointed me as a "person"; I never thought he was inconsistent or a badly-written character, or that we lacked his POV etc. I think GRRM did a good job with him, and I too am curious about what's in store for him. I hope for redemption, but I'm trying not to invest too much into it.

As for the age difference with Dany, it did feel a bit worrisome, but I was not disturbed by it. I admit that, uh, Jorah is not sooo much older than myself, so this could be the reason. Anyway the scene where Dany fantasizes about him is probably the only "sex" scene I like in the saga. She is acting like a mature woman there, exploring her feelings and desires and choosing on her own to reject Jorah. She has never had this kind of freedom before.

Then I was disgusted when she seemed to entertain more favourable intentions towards Daario. This too is probably a biased opinion because I personally cannot stand him. So now I can bring this post a bit more on-topic. I agree with Datepalm. Yes, Daario is described as very handsome (by the way, is he that much younger than Jorah?), but few woud mention him even among the top ten most handsome ASOIAF male characters. Why? Too over-the-top exotic? Too creepy? (hilts of the daggers, ew) Or are we told too explicitly he is handsome, while beauty is more effective when only suggested?

Same with Drogo. I did imagine him very handsome and fascinating. In the TV series they emphasized the "scary" part; could it be the reason why we are unfavourably disposed towards him?

(OT: a beauty contest related to the TV series would yeld different results. I know that Jorah would suddenly jump near the top for me. Maybe we could open a new thread in the other section, if it didn't seem too fanboyish and fangirlish.)

Yes, Daario is described as very handsome (by the way, is he that much younger than Jorah?), but few woud mention him even among the top ten most handsome ASOIAF male characters. Why? Too over-the-top exotic? Too creepy? (hilts of the daggers, ew) Or are we told too explicitly he is handsome, while beauty is more effective when only suggested?

Same with Drogo. I did imagine him very handsome and fascinating. In the TV series they emphasized the "scary" part; could it be the reason why we are unfavourably disposed towards him?

Daario: I just disliked him instantly, though I was impressed with the multiple-treacherous-decapitating move. Physically, he seemed far too outlandish, too OTT as you say.

Drogo: weirdly, he's prettier on screen than I visualized him while reading. With him overall, I'm still pretty meh. Where Daario can arouse feelings of dislike in me (heh, that almost sounds a bit kinky!), Drogo is possibly the 1 character in ASOIAF who seems a cardboard cutout (perhaps deliberately so?) Or maybe he's just too simple, brutal and direct a character?

Drogo I can just about imagine as appealing, but it takes work. Like, Fanfic writing amounts of work. Theres enough space there for the discerning reader to draw in something palatable, (in terms of Drogo himself and of Danys relashionship with him) is she so desires, and the text isn't contradictory, but its not hugely encouraging either.

I think Daario, as he's written, is pretty much meant to make any womans skin creep, and that Dany is looking at him with anything other regal distaste a sign of just how lonely she is. (She also has this notion that she has to end up with someone, and soon, becuase of the plot prophecy, so she looks at virtually every man she meets as potential marriage material.)

(She also has this notion that she has to end up with someone, and soon, becuase of the prophecy, so she looks at virtually every man she meets as potential marriage material.)

I don't thinks so. I thinks she look Daario because he has pretty blue eyes (when Daario dress purple they look almost violet) and she is very loonely. So loonely that she explores herself. I don't say this is gross or disgusting, just she needs sex. And of course, she want not to slept with Jorah, but with man who is handsome.

I think Daario, as he's written, is pretty much meant to make any womans skin creep, and that Dany is looking at him with anything other regal distaste a sign of just how lonely she is. (She also has this notion that she has to end up with someone, and soon, becuase of the plot prophecy, so she looks at virtually every man she meets as potential marriage material.)

I think of Daario's relationship to Dany, almost like Captain Jack Sparrow's relationship to Elizabeth Swann. He's obviously not right for her. He's very swarthy. He would betray his brother(s) to gain rewards. He's dangerous. He's the typical "bad boy" that young women seem to yearn for, that if he will treat her right, that means he truly loves her. How can she be sure the good boy loves her, when he treats everyone well. And she is in the correct time of her life where the bad boy is very appealing.

GH

No votes for Ygritte yet? Then let me be the first. Fiery redhead, slim and toned as a result of her lifestyle, and really comfortable with herself. What's not to like? She's got a very Lyanna vibe, but redhead (which I really like). As for the other prominent redheads in the series, Cat is a bit old for my taste, though I can see where LF was coming from as a kid. And both she and Mel don't give off the fiery vibe that makes redheads that much hotter. But Ygritte's in a world where beauty does not matter as much and they don't have the luxury resources or time to make people unnaturally beautiful.

Edit: I said she was jailbait now, thinking she was 17ish. Wiki says 19 so nvm about the jailbait. Not even sketchy for me now.

Ah, I was beginning to wonder if I would read through the whole thread without someone mentioning Ygritte. I definately see her as someone I would find incredibly beautiful, more so than for example Dany and Cersei. I can imagine her standing with her furs on in the middle of the snow-covered woods, kissed by fire...

Ah, I was beginning to wonder if I would read through the whole thread without someone mentioning Ygritte. I definately see her as someone I would find incredibly beautiful, more so than for example Dany and Cersei. I can imagine her standing with her furs on in the middle of the snow-covered woods, kissed by fire...

Well... I don't really see this, as there are specific comments that she is NOT traditionally beautiful (though quite sexy at least to Jon!). Something about her teeth being common and her face being a bit assymetrical IIRC.

Anyway sexy, pretty, sure. MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON IN THE WORLD? Hardly.

Well... I don't really see this, as there are specific comments that she is NOT traditionally beautiful (though quite sexy at least to Jon!). Something about her teeth being common and her face being a bit assymetrical IIRC.

Anyway sexy, pretty, sure. MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON IN THE WORLD? Hardly.

Agree about the distinction between sexy and beautiful. Asha, for instance, isn't textbook beauty, but in terms of sexiness...

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't see Jorah forgiving Dany after that ordeal, and I'm almost certain her rejecting him will result in others using him to bring about her downfall in the future.

I change my vote to Arianne Martell. Was reading AFfC and she totally trumps Cersei in my book.

Archived