NFL Thread 11

DanteGabriel

Again, why is it throwing away 3 picks AND Jon Beason?

Because you wrote:

"Carolina's last 4 1st rounders: DeAngelo Williams (oft injured), Jon Beason (good LB), Jonathan Stewart (also oft injured), Jeff Otah (good but hard to say). Would you trade those four for a franchise QB?"

Anyway, I'm not denying that Luck is a tasty draft pick. But it's pretty much the same every year, the top pick QB is hyped up like crazy and results are completely unknown.

Edit: written before I knew about Luck staying with stanford

So am I right in thinking that Luck's decision changes this from a draft where potentially several teams would have been interested in the first pick, to the same old shit where the first pick is more of a $50 million albatross?

So am I right in thinking that Luck's decision changes this from a draft where potentially several teams would have been interested in the first pick, to the same old shit where the first pick is more of a $50 million albatross?

I think it would be... but my understanding of the new CBA is somewhat fuzzy. If I'm not mistaken, there may very well be a rookie wage scale for this draft class. Which would make the first pick much more viable and really could inject a lot more intrigue into pre-draft trade talks.

Apparently, the draft itself is the last thing included in this current CBA. Any contract negotiations would occur after this draft and would therefore fall under the new CBA and the presumed rookie wage scale.

There are some great QBs out there that can be got for cheap and lower in the draft rounds or signed up from other teams... examples over history would include Favre and Rodgers. (Favre was a 2nd round draft pick by Atlanta, released and signed with Packers)

Ummm... the Packers gave Atlanta a number one pick for Favre. The WI papers were screaming that it was the waste of a pick, right up until the Majik man got hurt and Favre threw a winning TD pass.

Here is a new scenerio, would you as a GM risk a trade to get the top pick before the draft hoping Luck reenters the draft knowing he wouldn't go to Carolina?

See my above edit... apparently, there are strong indicators that he is taking his talents to South Beach to the tune of $7-8 million a year. :stunned:

And going to Miami, if reports are to be believed, would keep the Mrs. happy as opposed to going to Ann Arbor...

Ummm... the Packers gave Atlanta a number one pick for Favre. The WI papers were screaming that it was the waste of a pick, right up until the Majik man got hurt and Favre threw a winning TD pass.

Aha, fair enough. Since you mentioned the "Majik Man"... how about this as the all time most hideous football poster.

Yikes! I swear my football buddies had that in their hallway back in the dayz. :blush:

Here is a new scenerio, would you as a GM risk a trade to get the top pick before the draft hoping Luck reenters the draft knowing he wouldn't go to Carolina?

No, I wouldn't hinge my hopes on getting Luck to change his mind about going back to college. Especially if the labor situation is still unsettled. Isn't there some date by which underclassmen (and any college player, for that matter) have to declare for the NFL draft?

No, I wouldn't hinge my hopes on getting Luck to change his mind about going back to college. Especially if the labor situation is still unsettled. Isn't there some date by which underclassmen (and any college player, for that matter) have to declare for the NFL draft?

January 15 unless I am mistaken. Much, much quicker turnaround for the football kids than the basketball kids who get two months after the end of the NCAA tourney.

Aha, fair enough. Since you mentioned the "Majik Man"... how about this as the all time most hideous football poster.

Yikes! I swear my football buddies had that in their hallway back in the dayz. :blush:

I see your posters and raise you a video. Actually I remember a lot of those posters, "The Favre and Away" one made me smile, love the movie reference. I also like the subtle comparison, think scrappers.

I see your posters and raise you a video. Actually I remember a lot of those posters, "The Favre and Away" one made me smile, love the movie reference. I also like the subtle comparison, think scrappers.

Oh dude, that was awesome :cheers: So nice to see the ol hook ups with Sterling. And there he his strummin a guitar next to his backyard pool. Fun stuff.

Oh... and the shot of kid Favre burping kicked the extra point.

Mallett...is a bit scary to me. Low completion rate and some bad decision making.

I'm amazed at Luck coming back, especially with Harbaugh almost certain to leave somewhere. A bit sad given that Oregon will have to play him at Stanford this year, but they're losing a lot of other players - and more importantly they're potentially losing Harbaugh, which is much scarier for them.

A shame about Luck. Hurts the Panthers but also hurts the Broncos as now the Panthers will be likely to take whomever the Broncos would've gotten (say, the highest rated defensive player in the draft).

In other news, Rex Ryan keeps on trucking:

Asked to assess Manning, Ryan described him as like a coach on the field — and then said that makes Manning different from Brady, because Brady benefits from the presence of Bill Belichick.

“There’s nobody like this guy in the league,” Ryan said of Manning. “Nobody studies like him. I know Brady thinks he does. I think there’s probably a little more help with Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning.”

Can't tell if he's insulting Brady more or Jim Caldwell.

If he really wanted to hit him where it hurts, he should talk about how nasty Gisele's feet are.

In other news, Rex Ryan keeps on trucking:

Can't tell if he's insulting Brady more or Jim Caldwell.

If he really wanted to hit him where it hurts, he should talk about how nasty Gisele's feet are.

:lol:

Or the old standby of "Any man who allows his wife to choose his hairstyle has no balls except the one they throw."

C'mon, you know he's called his wife Gisele by accident.

I'm guessing it more likely he's called his wife Mark by accident.

:lol:

Or the old standby of "Any man who allows his wife to choose his hairstyle has no balls except the one they throw."

You might want to write that down on an index card for ole Rex just to make sure he says it right.

Well, looks like Miami is retaining Sparano, which a) means Harbaugh will go to Denver, SF, or stay on the Farm, and B) brings up the question: what's the most artful form by which Sparano could tell the Fins to fuck themselves and still manage to get severance? What a douche of an owner.

Archived