Sky Atlantic Confirms April Premiere

Westeros

Over on Twitter, Sky Atlantic’s has confirmed that Game of Thrones will begin airing in April—the very same month it premires in the U.S. While it’s too much to hope that they’ll air the exact same day, we expect, it seems certain that it won’t be delayed more than a week or perhaps two.

Sky Atlantic will begin airing February 1st, and will be available to all current Sky customer free of charge into August. After that time, it will remain available to customers who have subscribed to the Variety Pack, or it can be purchased separately. Looks like there’ll be an HD upgrade package available as well.

Visit the Site!

The adverts for the channel say Free and EXCLUSIVE to all SKY subscribers. So it won't be on Freesat, freeview or any cable systems at all. Low ratings~!

Indeed, and we've discussed this before. HBO don't care about how many people watch in the UK, only how much money they make from it, and Sky offered them far more money than any terrastrial or Freeview channel.

It's extremely frustrating. When I was first telling people about the show when it appeared it was going to air on the BBC, there was a lot of interest. Now only the ones who have Sky (a tiny minority) remain interested, no-one else cares, and certainly no-one is going to pick up Sky to get it. Furthermore Sky have confirmed that Atlantic will have adverts, so it's unclear how this is going to affect the run-times of the programmes.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media will be picking up this new channel or is it really to be "exclusive"? They do currently offer most of the Sky channels, albeit at a premium rate.

I only fairly recently migrated to Virgin from Sky; I'm very happy with the service so far BTW, especially the broadband.

Does anyone know if Virgin Media will be picking up this new channel or is it really to be "exclusive"? They do currently offer most of the Sky channels, albeit at a premium rate.

I only fairly recently migrated to Virgin from Sky; I'm very happy with the service so far BTW, especially the broadband.

Sky have said that there is no deal with Virgin Media for Sky Atlantic at the moment, which suggests something could change. It's also not impossible that these HBO shows could eventually end up on Sky 3 (their Freeview service), but I would not put money on it.

Interestingly, one of the commentators on the Guardian website said that he'd asked Sky and they'd said that Sky Atlantic shows will air over 1 hour including adverts. For 55-minute HBO shows, they'll have a single, solitary 5-minute ad break right in the middle and that's it. Annoying, but nowhere near as bad as what Sky do to get 40-minute programmes padded out to 60, with long advert breaks every few minutes.

certainly no-one is going to pick up Sky to get it.

I have to disagree with you there (I admit this isn't the only reason I'm getting Sky, but it is the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back).

I have to disagree with you there (I admit this isn't the only reason I'm getting Sky, but it is the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back).

I was talking more about friends who were casually interested in the series than hardcore GoT fanatics ;)

Likely the show will air on the more open Sky channels about 1 year behind, as happens a lot with other series. Seems like HBO will be all about money over ratings for the show. Short term that makes a bit of sense, but long term I would have thought going for ratings all over the world from the free-to-air or multi-provider route would be a better strategy. We'll see I guess. I may just have to wait for the Blu-ray to come out if the channel it's on here isn't available to me with my current cable service.

Archived