Devastated by the...

crispy

Just trying to imagine your friend with the book in one hand and a phone in the other O_o ;)

I remember reading that scene very well. I was lying on the sofa, hubby was working in the same room. For about an hour and a half (because I totally saw it coming and felt so terribly helpless), he had to endure my noises of "Ack!" and "Nooo!" and "Hisssss!" every other minute, and he was rather exasperated with me, told me to go somewhere else. It felt so heartless! My entire world was collapsing, and he was sending me out!

My first encounter with the Red Wedding (though was just in the second book then) was on this forum, when somebody said, "Draw a picture of the Hound chasing Arya around with an axe at the Red Wedding!" and I had this mental image of a huge wedding cake reading "JoffXSansa" and Arya being chased around to everyone's amusement...

The Red Wedding disturbed me as much as any scene I can ever recall reading. I had intended to go to sleep after reading that chapter. But then I was unable to sleep - just sat outside smoking cigarettes in disbelief before picking book back up to see if Arya lived or not. Ended up reading to about 4am and going to work very bleary eyed the next day.

It was a sudden and massive kick in the nuts, but it was foreshadowed to a fair degree.

@GoldSeven: Your art is fantastic. Please do some more aSoIaF stuff. "Jon Snow, the Wall is yours" is amazing. I would be interested to see your take on one of the "manly men" of the series, such as the Greatjon, as your other males seem to be of the boyish/bishonnen variety.

Was i one of the only people who wasnt that shocked for the Red Wedding? i had neds death spoiled for me, but the one moment that truly shocked me was lysa death, coz i fucking loved it.

I am sure there were others who weren't shocked by it and/or saw it coming. After it happened I couldn't believe how stupid I was because suddenly all the foreshadowing came to my mind (didn't even need a re-read) and I was angry at my own stupidity for not seeing it coming.

Ned's death was a shock, although I should have been forewarned. GRRM disobeyed the Two Disney Laws in the first half of the book:

1. Don't harm the child,

2. Don't harm the dog/wolf.

So I guess that after what happened to Bran and Lady, nobody has ever been safe...

As I remember, my first thought was: how I didn't see it coming? Cat was terribly uncomfortable for chapters, she felt that something is wrong, and Grey Wind felt it too.

My second thought: "Melisandre and her leeches! Wow."

On my reread, I noticed all the other clues, like Dany's vision of a dead, crowned wolf on a feast, or Tywin Lannister writing "some important letters".

As I remember, my first thought was: how I didn't see it coming? Cat was terribly uncomfortable for chapters, she felt that something is wrong, and Grey Wind felt it too.

My second thought: "Melisandre and her leeches! Wow."

On my reread, I noticed all the other clues, like Dany's vision of a dead, crowned wolf on a feast, or Tywin Lannister writing "some important letters".

Yeah after it happened I thought back instantly to Grey Wind, Tywin's letters and Roose Bolton's behaviour and conversation with Jamie at Harranhal. Looking back now it seems so obvious that it was going to happen yet I was completely taken unaware when it did which shows how much the mind can turn a blind-eye to what it doesn't want to see.

On a re-read I am sure I will pick up more - for example I missed Dany's vision which I will watch for in the re-read I am doing now (only starte.d series a fortnight ago and am already on the re-read:) ).

GRRM did Cat's unease really well. I remember feeling tense all through her view points and couldn't help wondering whether it was justified or not. This created an incredible nervous tension which made the Red Wedding more powerful than if it were just a sudden unexpected bolt out of the blue.

I was just.....completely stricken by the scene. I had always loved Robb - the crazy idea of this fifteen year old kid, trying to be ernest and honorable and forthright all the time, being badass enough to be crowned king and go around kicking Lannister ass. And whatever people feel about Cat, everyone knows how she felt about Robb. He was her entire world. She would have cut her own throat for him.

I had already read spoilers about it beforehand, so I went in calmly, but the scene just broke. my. heart. I teared up when Robb tried to stand up despite being stuck like a pincushion, I teared up even more when Catelyn begged for his life, and her reaction to seeing Robb cut down before her eyes, and when she finally broke. For a moment, I put herself into her shoes, and it was unbearable.

And my heart broke further in the aftermath, when Tyrion described the gruesome desecration of their bodies and Arya's heartbreak and Joffrey's glee.

And then I became mad as hell.

From then on, I couldn't even THINK about the third book without thinking of the Red Wedding, and thinking about how I want Walder Frey to die the most miserable death GRRM can conceive in that sick mind of his. I wanted his entire house to wiped out before his eyes. I never cheered for anyone's death at that point, not even Joffrey's, but I felt completely remorseless when Undead Cat emerged and started hanging Freys indiscriminately, even with the innocent bystanders. I just want those f@ckers to go to their deaths screaming.

I sort of saw it coming; there was so much foreshadowing for it, and after reading Wheel of Time like six times I am a master of picking up on foreshadowing. However, I wasnt prepared for the utter brutality of it. I expected Robb to be killed quietly maybe while everyone was sleep and/or passed out drunk. I didnt really expect a large part of his army to be slaughtered along with a bunch of characters we were coming to know. And what really go me was not neccessarily Robbs death, but the imagery of them killing greywind and then sowing its head onto Robbs headless body. Thats what really got me. I hope they have that in the show because that would be particularly shocking and overwhelming.

I still think Renlys death was the most surprising, since that basically came out of nowhere. And Rodrick Cassels. But Robb and Catelyn definetly the most shocking.

It will be hard for Martin top that. I am sure he will try though.

Some critics of Martin's work are people who don't appreciate getting kicked in the nuts, as others have put it, by an author. And Martin does it not just once, but again and again and again, almost sadistically. People who don’t enjoy such kicks should not enter a sadist's parlour, and that is why critics warn readers about it.

I wasn't shocked, but I was definitely devastated. Robb had become one of my favorite characters by then. And I could really tell as I was reading the chapter and the one or two chapters leading up to it that something was going to go horribly wrong. So even though it didn't really surprise me, I don't think I've ever felt so much dread reading a book before.

That's what I remember most from my first time reading it, the sense of impending Doom dripping off every page in the lead up to the massacre itself. You really knew that something bad was going to happen...but I didn't really expect everyone to get murdered!

Fantastic writing, that lead-up. Really really well done.

I spoiled myself on the Red Wedding. Right after the book showed up from the UK, I dropped it on the floor and the lovely perfect-bound novel fell open to the page where Bolton kebabs Robb. I yelled "shit!", flipped the book closed, and then glared at it for about 20 minutes. Then I started reading, albeit pissed off at myself and GRRM. It really made reading the Cat and Arya chapters a bunch of fun, I can tell ya.

I'm re-reading now and this part's next, but I've been avoiding it for a week. :) It's sooo gruesome...

Oh, and I also spoiled it to myself. That's what you get for reading the wiki before finishing the books :(

A friend of mine stopped reading the series just before the wedding, when it became clear to her that something really awful was about to happen, so she spared the tragedy.

What is there to be devastated about? You could see that coming half a book back.

Just accept that any worthwhile characters are going to be killed off.

Just so, I'm expecting Arya, Bran, Jon and Tyrion to be offed next.

Based on what?

Everything points to these 4 (plus Dany) surviving at least until the finale.

Archived