Flashbacks confirmed

Herr Fick

yeah that could work. this series often makes you feel one way then pulls the rug out from under you so next season jaime could expand on ned's flashback and give a different opinion of the events.

Yes. if Ned dreams of the flashback, he doesn't have to see Jaime. So in S2 we can be surprised that Jaime was there. Tie things together.

I think it's neat we're getting this flashback. I guess the final big unanswered question is if anyone is going to be cast as Lyanna for the Tower of Joy flashback? I hope they don't leave that out, but I guess an argument could be made that it's not absolutely imperative.

Of course, that flashback could be so spoilerish (especially if L+R=J is true) to the series that they may want to leave it for a future season. (Or if it is in there, film the whole spoiler(y) scene at one time, but only show bits and pieces of it until it is ready for the big reveal.) And showing the bed of blood can be ambiguous when spoken, but if you show it, then it could be very clear how she dies.

GH

Of course, that flashback could be so spoilerish (especially if L+R=J is true) to the series that they may want to leave it for a future season. (Or if it is in there, film the whole spoiler(y) scene at one time, but only show bits and pieces of it until it is ready for the big reveal.) And showing the bed of blood can be ambiguous when spoken, but if you show it, then it could be very clear how she dies.

Yes. If they do show the ToJ scene, I think they should just focus on Ned v the Kingsguard. They can overlay it with Lyanna speaking "Promise Me" but there is no real need to show Lyanna. And showing a bed of blood would be very risky.

I'm all for the flashbacks, but it bothers me that they're showing Brandon Starks demise in the first season. But I suppose it'll just kickstart the characterization of Jaime. Fair enough.

If they do the ToJ scene, I'm hoping it'll be reflective of the dream nature of it. If you make it surreal and confusing and strange like a dream should be, they won't have to worry about getting trapped with Lyanna's bit.

yeah that could work. this series often makes you feel one way then pulls the rug out from under you so next season jaime could expand on ned's flashback and give a different opinion of the events.

This could be how HBO treats the POV characters. Since they can't film it the way the chapters are set up, maybe the flashbacks from the characters POV can give the A-HA moments we love in the books, as in ahh so there's more to this Jaime...

Although, too many flashbacks can be annoying.

Well, well...

I guess it is time for my:

:owned:

moment.

As for ToJ scene they can freely show it in its entirety, showing Lyanna and everything. You people forget that there is nothing in that scene that points out to theory of R+L=Jon

in any significant way.

The duel can be relatively easily done with camera concentrating on the two and just some mix of extras and CG armies in the background.

As for the logic of "flashbacks are bad" - it always seemed to me as idiotic as saying "they should not do any shots from the left".

Indeed, I have to tip my hat to you, SNAY.

I'm really intrigued where this Brandon flashback will come in the season, though a bit deflated at the thought that it takes away from the dungeon scene with Jaime in ACOK. But it is in line with the sense of Jaime's increased presence I get from season one so far. One can easily sense the escalated Jaime vs Ned tension so having it come out while Ned is still alive is probably going to spice up their dynamic.

As for ToJ scene they can freely show it in its entirety, showing Lyanna and everything. You people forget that there is nothing in that scene that points out to theory of R+L=Jon

in any significant way.

Seriously? If they show Lyanna in a bed of blood, people are likely to wonder is she dieing from childbirth. And then they'll wonder what happened to that child...

I can say right now that I would be very surprised if we see a bed of blood. Unless Lyanna committed suicide but i've never bought into that theory.

Most people have never said that flashbacks are bad. More that HBO has to be careful with inputting them and that they aren't needed. Brandon's torture isn't even in aGoT. So it clearly isn't needed. :)

though a bit deflated at the thought that it takes away from the dungeon scene with Jaime in ACOK.

It'll be interesting to see if Jaime is shown to be in that scene in S1. If he isn't then revealing this in S2 could work very well.

Well, well...

I guess it is time for my:

:owned:

moment.

:rolleyes:

If I recall, almost no one argued that flashbacks wouldn't or shouldn't be shown. We were concerned that if they were done, they really needed to be done well and perhaps sparingly. Of course there are scenes we wanted to see that could only be done as a flashback (this, ToJ) but we, or at least I, said they weren't strictly essential. So while I'm happy to see that you're getting your wish, I don't think being owned comes into it.

You don't have to show all of Lyanna and her bloody bed. Stay close on her, with the only hint as to her fate being that she is clearly mussed up from a struggle of some kind and her hand is covered in blood, clasping Ned's tightly. Perhaps have her reaching up to his face and leaving a streak of red as it falls to her side next to a blue rose.

Without the other pieces to the puzzle one could easily mistake that as her dying in bed after being stabbed or the like. Either way, TV can't be quite as subtle so if they're going to leave hints at all they will probably be pretty obvious to those of us looking for them.

Without the other pieces to the puzzle one could easily mistake that as her dying in bed after being stabbed or the like.

Right. That early in the series viewers will probably still be focused mainly on Robert's opinion of Rhaegar; that he's a kidnapping, raping, monster. A bloody scene is as likely to confirm their worst fears as raise any suspicions.

Indeed, I have to tip my hat to you, SNAY.

SNAY?

I'm really intrigued where this Brandon flashback will come in the season, though a bit deflated at the thought that it takes away from the dungeon scene with Jaime in ACOK. But it is in line with the sense of Jaime's increased presence I get from season one so far. One can easily sense the escalated Jaime vs Ned tension so having it come out while Ned is still alive is probably going to spice up their dynamic.

Well... unfortunately it seems realistic to expect they will mix and match some scenes in different order. Brandon fate was known to Eddard and Robert and many others who were close to them, not just Jaime. Its not only one reason of antagonism between Eddard and Jaime but also one of the things that escalated things into all out war.

I dont have much hope they will do these in some proper order but im happy that pieces of vast background and motivations or memories of main characters will be shown.

Then again, it doesnt have to mean we will see that particular memory before Jaime remembers it.

Seriously? If they show Lyanna in a bed of blood, people are likely to wonder is she dieing from childbirth. And then they'll wonder what happened to that child...

What child? Is a child or pregnancy ever mentioned in ToJ scene or anywhere else?

Most people have never said that flashbacks are bad. More that HBO has to be careful with inputting them and that they aren't needed. Brandon's torture isn't even in aGoT. So it clearly isn't needed. :)

:rofl:

:rolleyes:

:spank:

So while I'm happy to see that you're getting your wish, I don't think being owned comes into it.

Smiling Knight 1 : Westeros forums 0

:laugh:

Without the other pieces to the puzzle one could easily mistake that as her dying in bed after being stabbed or the like.

Thats correct.

Right. That early in the series viewers will probably still be focused mainly on Robert's opinion of Rhaegar; that he's a kidnapping, raping, monster. A bloody scene is as likely to confirm their worst fears as raise any suspicions.

Exactly.

What child? Is a child or pregnancy ever mentioned in ToJ scene or anywhere else?

As I said..."If they show Lyanna in a bed of blood, people are likely to wonder is she dieing from childbirth. And then they'll wonder what happened to that child."

If you don't mind people guessing that she was pregnant, fine. :) Rhaegar stabbing Lyanna doesn't make sense though since he was long dead.

Mentioning a bloody scene in a book is vague but showing it on screen will tell us a lot more. If it was a stab wound we should be able to see where she was stabbed for example. If it was due to childbirth, we should be able to see that. I'm not sure why some people insist on seeing a very obvious scene when Venardhi's more subtle suggestion makes a very adequete alternative.

Brandon fate was known to Eddard and Robert and many others who were close to them, not just Jaime.

To be honest. I'm not sure Brandon's fate is widely known.

Its not only one reason of antagonism between Eddard and Jaime but also one of the things that escalated things into all out war.

Sorry. What escalated things into all our war?

Edited for the underlined lack of "not"

As I said..."If they show Lyanna in a bed of blood, people are likely to wonder is she dieing from childbirth. And then they'll wonder what happened to that child."

And thats fine because none can be sure it was because of childbirth and as long as they wonder than the scene serves its purpose as it did in the books - WITHOUT CLEARLY GIVING AWAY ANYTHING AS IT DIDNT IN THE BOOK.

If you don't mind people guessing that she was pregnant, fine. :) Rhaegar stabbing Lyanna doesn't make sense though since he was long dead.

I never said anything about being stabbed either. How about you actually read what i write?

She could be sick or dying from brutal rape or whatever.

There is BLOODY NOTHING IN TOJ THAT SHOWS SHE DIED OF CHILDBIRTH!

Mentioning a bloody scene in a book is vague but showing it on screen will tell us a lot more.

No it wont.

If it was a stab wound we should be able to see where she was stabbed for example. If it was due to childbirth, we should be able to see that.

Why we "should be able" to see that?

I'm not sure why some people insist on seeing a very obvious scene when Venardhi's more subtle suggestion makes a very adequete alternative.

Im not sure what youre reading here or to whom or what youre actually replying. it seems to me your just inventing things for yourself and then replying to that.

To be honest. I'm not sure Brandon's fate is widely known.

Widely?

Sorry. What escalated things into all our war?

Maybe you should read the book again. Just a friendly advice.

I was thinking but why was that a reason of antagonism between Eddard and Jaime?

Because Jaime thinks that Ned should be grateful to him for Aerys' death, while Ned thinks that Jaime had no right to kill Aerys (and probably wanted to do it himself).

Archived