Official HBO blurb?

Werthead

SciFi Scoop has what it calls 'the official synopsis' from HBO:

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue abound. The primary families are the Stark, Lannister, and Baratheon families. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, asks his old friend Eddard Stark to serve as his chief advisor. Eddard, suspecting that his predecessor had been murdered, accepts so that he can investigate further. It turns out more than one family is plotting to take the throne. The Queen’s family, the Lannisters, may be hatching a plot to take control. Across the sea, the last surviving members of the previously deposed ruling family, the Targaryens, are also plotting a return to power. The conflict between these families and others, including the Greyjoys, the Tullys, the Arryns, and the Tyrells, leads to war. Meanwhile, in the north, an ancient evil awakens. Amidst war and the political confusion, a brotherhood of misfits, The Night’s Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and the horrors beyond.

Seems rather weak to me, not to mention overburdened. Do we really need to namecheck all of the Great Houses in one synopsis? And if so, why leave out the Martells?

Identifying the triple-pronged story (political intrigue in the capital, events on the Wall, Daenerys's journey in the east) is important, but I think putting too much into the precis beyond that risks confusion.

SciFi Scoop has what it calls 'the official synopsis' from HBO:

Seems rather weak to me, not to mention overburdened. Do we really need to namecheck all of the Great Houses in one synopsis? And if so, why leave out the Martells?

Identifying the triple-pronged story (political intrigue in the capital, events on the Wall, Daenerys's journey in the east) is important, but I think putting too much into the precis beyond that risks confusion.

I agree. There are far too many names, which will mean nothing to potential viewers. And do they need to explain exactly why Robert gets Neds help? Can't they say more simply that the Starks are drawn against their will into dangerous political intrique?

That blurb definitely would not make me want to see the show. I've read the books, and that blurb feels to complicated to me!

I agree. They throw out too many names. Hopefully it won't turn off too many people. Had I read this and seen the long list of factions and family names, I would have shied away from reading the series and possibly watching it. The first book does a good of not overwhelming you with too much at once, but you wouldn't know it by that synopsis.

The official overview that HBO has sent out looks nothing like the above. In particular, the only house names mentioned are Baratheon, Stark, and Lannister. Viserys and Daenerys are mentioned, but not Targaryen.

I think it's at best a paraphrase of the official overview sent to press with the person adding more information, like the rundown of the houses.

I'm not strictly sure I can quote the whole thing, but here's a snippet:

In a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, trouble is brewing. From the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond, two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.

If that isn't complete bullshit then I will eat my copy of GoT.

No professional copywriter -hell, no one older than 12- could possibly write a blurb that bad.

I think you're right. Anyways, the website says the source of the info was blastr.com, and a 20 second, half-hearted search on my part does not bring up the synopsis on blastr.

The official overview that HBO has sent out looks nothing like the above. In particular, the only house names mentioned are Baratheon, Stark, and Lannister. Viserys and Daenerys are mentioned, but not Targaryen.

I think it's at best a paraphrase of the official overview sent to press with the person adding more information, like the rundown of the houses.

That's a relief :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen some or all of that snippet somewhere else, maybe on HBO's GoT website? I'm sure parts of the copy get recycles here and there for press releases and such, too.

the description from hbo's iphone app

summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime, and the struggle for the iron throne has begun.

It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond.

kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men... all will play the Game of Thrones.'

Ran i think the one you posted is what was on the IPhone app before the one i just copied

Archived