"The Name of the Wind"

me399

Have you all read this book? I was wonder what your thoughts were on it. Did you like it? Hate it? I recently downloaded it to my Ipad and I can not seem to put it down. I am close to 1/2 way through the book and I love it. What did you all think of the way the book was written (first person)?

Does anyone know what the next book in the series will be called and when it is supposed to be released?

Revisting my initial review (with some spoilers in, so I won't link), my feelings are the same: solid, entertaining, and Rothfuss has oodles of talent and promise ... but it's far from perfect, and the hype it gets seems well beyond anything deserved. I thought Scott Lynch had a far more exciting debut.

I finished the book yesterday, but I haven't reviewed it yet...

As I just mentioned on another MB: For those who enjoyed The Name of the Wind, you can go ahead and pre-order The Wise Man's Fear. It's everything its predecessor was, and then some!

If you weren't thrilled by Rothfuss' debut, then you need not bother with volume 2. Style-wise and plot-lise, there is likely nothing that can win over readers who were not that impressed with TNotW.

In terms of style and tone, both novels are pretty similar. So I doubt that The Wise Man's Fear can satisfy readers that weren't enchanted by the first one. But for fans of the author, it should definitely scratch that itch!

Patrick

Pat, that was the last thing I wanted to hear. I was hoping that the 2nd book either was total crap (so I could happily stop reading the series) or that it had gotten much better (so that I could happily continue the series).

me399, I was about 75% on TNOTW. If I'd disliked it just a little more, I wouldn't bother with the next book. But if I'd liked it just a little more, I'd be pretty excited about the series. I think that Rothfuss is a very good writer. He's easy to read, he's likable, and he makes his fantasy world likable. I just wasn't sold on the plot or the potential for the series to progress in a meaningful way. Post again when you're finished and tell us how you felt that the second half of the book compared to the first.

Yeah, I'm kinda iffy on this one. I enjoyed it, but as it continued on and it never really expanded in scope, I began to grow impatient. The characters aren't relatable or sufficiently memorable that they can make up for the very slow-moving plot. I felt like Rothfuss was going for a very "literary" approach, but he meandered and never led to anything especially profound. I'll read the second one, but I won't be in a hurry I don't think.

Pat, that was the last thing I wanted to hear. I was hoping that the 2nd book either was total crap (so I could happily stop reading the series) or that it had gotten much better (so that I could happily continue the series).

me399, I was about 75% on TNOTW. If I'd disliked it just a little more, I wouldn't bother with the next book. But if I'd liked it just a little more, I'd be pretty excited about the series. I think that Rothfuss is a very good writer. He's easy to read, he's likable, and he makes his fantasy world likable. I just wasn't sold on the plot or the potential for the series to progress in a meaningful way. Post again when you're finished and tell us how you felt that the second half of the book compared to the first.

I definitely will check back in with you guys when i finish the book. I put in between 1-3 hours with it, on average, a day so it should not take me that long to finish it. If I did not need to help my friend move this weekend I would have it finished by Sunday. I should be done with it by next weekend or sooner.

I held back on the first book because I'm not very fond of coming of age stories and wanted to know where the series goes. But it seems Kvothe is still coming of age in the second book, so it looks like I'm not the target audience for that series.

I held back on the first book because I'm not very fond of coming of age stories and wanted to know where the series goes. But it seems Kvothe is still coming of age in the second book, so it looks like I'm not the target audience for that series.

This is what I love about the book.

At the beginning we are led to believe how much of a bad ass Kvothe is with a little hint here and there of things that have went on in his life and then we are tossed into his telling of his life story.

I find all of it, so far, fascinating and I really love the character of Kvothe too. If the book continues this way and the next one keeps chugging along in the same manner, I am so in.

This, sorta, reminds me of a more drawn out version of Ender's Game.

Haven't read it yet (was re-reading Ice and Fire), but it's been sitting on the proverbial bookshelf for about three weeks. I've heard some good things about it, but other than that I have no idea what to expect. I'm easily amused, though, and not very critical.

Gonna start reading right after dinner, most like.

Too bad. TWMF will please fans who enjoyed TNotW, but I doubt it will bring readers who found the first one so-so into the fold.

So you might want to check this one out from the library or wait for the paperback edition...

Patrick

I liked the novel overall, but there were a few things that really irked me. I did not like his university friends at all. I thought their relationship felt very forced. I also wasn't a huge fan of the pseudo-snarky dialogue between Dena and Kvothe. I thought Lynch did that type of dialogue much better. That said, I agree with whoever said Lynch's debut was better.

Alright, I've read the first twelve chapters of the book (up to page 98 in my mass market paperback). I can say that The Name of the Wind, at the very least, has managed to hook me. I want to keep reading, on and on and on. It's a bit like Ice and Fire in that I keep thinking "just one more chapter before I go to bed."

I'll withhold judgment until I've read the whole thing, but the first bit of the book is definitely very interesting. It seems to be not as quite complex or grand in scope as Ice and Fire, but I do like getting into the psyche of Kvothe in an intimate fashion and it's clear that Rothfuss has carefully crafted his world (though it wants for expansion). I'm really curious as to what the University is going to be like.

First impression is definitely good, although I do hope that the level of complexity will increase from here on out (both for the world the story takes place in as well as the plot(s)).

Archived