The Good Wife

Datepalm

I said i'd start a thread and here it is!

It wasn't a bad episode, (Owen and Jackie was hilarious, I always like Carey -it seems! Hes really grown on me as a character - and the case-of-the-week was a bit anvilly, but it was anvilly about several things in different directions, so that was ok) but the major thing was the blow up between Will and Diane, which more or less eneded as a cliffhanger. I don't know if Will taking offence at Dianes plotting is legitimate, total hypocricy or a complete act that gives him an excuse to storm out without answering any of the questions about whatever he's been plotting. It wasn't unconvincing, but the episode otherwise highlighted him being, basically, nasty and immoral, so I tend to be on Dianes side at this point.

It was nice how Will's casual racism (black kids hanging out in a poor neighborhood must be gangbangers) came back to bite him in the ass

I didn't realize this when I watched it, but now I assume that the same situation happened with the Boyfriends confession - Will tried the incredibly underhanded trick of manipulating him into thinking she was cheating, but he was an attentive enough boyfriend, and general not-ass, to recognize his girlfriends OBGYN's name and realize she was pregnant, leading him exactly to the confession Will was willing to do almost anything to avoid. 

I love this show. I do.

I enjoy all the actors and the writing - Owen and Jackie were fantastic this week! but Archie Panjabi makes the show for me. And who doesn't love Matt Czuchry's smile?

I was worried he'd fall off the face of the earth post-Gilmore Girls.

I love this show. I do.

I enjoy all the actors and the writing - Owen and Jackie were fantastic this week! but Archie Panjabi makes the show for me. And who doesn't love Matt Czuchry's smile?

I was worried he'd fall off the face of the earth post-Gilmore Girls.

Wait. I'm not so good with all the actor's real names...which one was on Gilmore Girls...?

And the show is still really good...but I want them to get to the point on some of this stuff...What's Will's plot? The fact that the other partner they brought in is such a part of it, yet the actor disappeared for the last 6 episodes or so ("going back to DC, or whatever), feels stunted...What's Kalinda's deal...How will Peter's election effect everything else...

One flaw of this show is the bigger named actors in significant roles, but acting part time to not be about more, which slows some of the storytelling down...

Wait. I'm not so good with all the actor's real names...which one was on Gilmore Girls...?

And the show is still really good...but I want them to get to the point on some of this stuff...What's Will's plot? The fact that the other partner they brought in is such a part of it, yet the actor disappeared for the last 6 episodes or so ("going back to DC, or whatever), feels stunted...What's Kalinda's deal...How will Peter's election effect everything else...

One flaw of this show is the bigger named actors in significant roles, but acting part time to not be about more, which slows some of the storytelling down...

Matt Czuchry is Carey/was Logan on Gilmore Girls.

Archie Panjabi is Kalinda. I really enjoyed her in that Russell Crowe movie A Good Year.

• 3 weeks later...

How realistic is the really dirty tactics being used in the campaign? (What are they running for anyway, chief commisioner or something? what is that? We only vote for parliament and municipal council/mayor here, ever.) Candidates kids girlfriends maybe abortions is just something that seems wildly soap opera melodramatic for some local election, even if it is in an obviously really large, important city. I just can't imagine any actual voter giving that much of a damn about the private life of a fairly minor elected official to the point of paying attention to his son/her husband/whatever on a random leaflet they get leaving church or what have you. 

Blake is getting a bit ridiculously posture-y. Every scene with him is like an import from a mildly bad thriller. Cryptic hints and vaugely homoerotic standoffs in parking lots, sheesh. Get a room already. 

Did Diane really just welcome Will back into the fold with his whole double double cross thing? He did bald facedly admit he was systematically planning on betraying her, and had been for a while, and the moment she realizes he's dumb enough to have been conned into conning her she just...trusts him again? I'm hoping she's planning her own contingencies still, it dosen't seem like her otherwise. 

Finally, i'm glad theres more Alicia/Peter. Their relashionship is just way more layered and interesting than Alicia/Will, which seems like so much easy wish fulfilment. (Also, Will is getting more and more openly corrupt this season, while Alicias turn-on is apparently moral integrity. lol.) 

Oh, and Eli should just offer Beka a job already and start grooming her to be his evil protege, (and eventually damn her sudden yet inevitable betrayal) though frankly I find her really irritating. But then, she's probably meant to be.

How realistic is the really dirty tactics being used in the campaign? (What are they running for anyway, chief commisioner or something? what is that? We only vote for parliament and municipal council/mayor here, ever.) Candidates kids girlfriends maybe abortions is just something that seems wildly soap opera melodramatic for some local election, even if it is in an obviously really large, important city. I just can't imagine any actual voter giving that much of a damn about the private life of a fairly minor elected official to the point of paying attention to his son/her husband/whatever on a random leaflet they get leaving church or what have you. 

Blake is getting a bit ridiculously posture-y. Every scene with him is like an import from a mildly bad thriller. Cryptic hints and vaugely homoerotic standoffs in parking lots, sheesh. Get a room already. 

Did Diane really just welcome Will back into the fold with his whole double double cross thing? He did bald facedly admit he was systematically planning on betraying her, and had been for a while, and the moment she realizes he's dumb enough to have been conned into conning her she just...trusts him again? I'm hoping she's planning her own contingencies still, it dosen't seem like her otherwise. 

Finally, i'm glad theres more Alicia/Peter. Their relashionship is just way more layered and interesting than Alicia/Will, which seems like so much easy wish fulfilment. (Also, Will is getting more and more openly corrupt this season, while Alicias turn-on is apparently moral integrity. lol.) 

Oh, and Eli should just offer Beka a job already and start grooming her to be his evil protege, (and eventually damn her sudden yet inevitable betrayal) though frankly I find her really irritating. But then, she's probably meant to be.

Well, the job they're all polticing for and running for is Cook COUnty Prosecuter. It's a real job, but I'll be damned if I've ever noticed any kind of actual campaign like the one on the show...by that I mean that there's this much importance on this job. I'm sure there probably is a lot of similar things going on...they're portraying politics...that being said, it isn't as if they were portraying a mayoral race...that would fit, I think, more of what seems to be going on.

I'm about done with Blake and they whole mystery behind him. Get to the point already.

I accept that Diane and Will just jumped back into a partnership with one another as easily as they did because it simply makes the show flow a little more. Now, I won't mind if they go back to the whole who's backstabbing who bit at some point down the line to create more stories or tension. But Lockhart/Gardner simply runs better when it's Lockhart/Gardner.

Would a campaign for mayor drag out all this personal stuff? The closest I can recall here is such terrible slurs as "Candidate A is a capitalist!","Candidate B is wanted in France for charges of arms smuggling to Angola" and "Candidate C smoked pot once!" ( all of which were true, and none of which anyone gave a damn about.) Though aren't all 3 actually Democrats? If they haven't really got ideological differences, I guess going on personality makes more sense.

I accept that Diane and Will just jumped back into a partnership with one another as easily as they did because it simply makes the show flow a little more. Now, I won't mind if they go back to the whole who's backstabbing who bit at some point down the line to create more stories or tension. But Lockhart/Gardner simply runs better when it's Lockhart/Gardner.

I can accept that Will would brush it off with a bit of posturing, but for Diane - who at least tries to convince herself that she holds her ethics higher than Will does - this should be a pretty deep betrayal, and I have a hard time seeing her just put it aside completely, though maybe shes just enjoying the caper antics for now. (Shame Michael Ealy is a bad guy though, he's such eye candy.)

Would a campaign for mayor drag out all this personal stuff? The closest I can recall here is such terrible slurs as "Candidate A is a capitalist!","Candidate B is wanted in France for charges of arms smuggling to Angola" and "Candidate C smoked pot once!" ( all of which were true, and none of which anyone gave a damn about.) Though aren't all 3 actually Democrats? If they haven't really got ideological differences, I guess going on personality makes more sense. 

Well, Carol Mosley Braun, candidate for mayor in Chicago just this last weekend claimed another candidate, one who has about zero chance of polling more than one or two percent of the upcoming vote, of being addicted to crack once upon a time...

Mind you, the last time Chicago actually had a mayoral race, was 21 years ago and as I was a teenager, I don't recall much about the campaign. That and I'm a suburban kid, so it doesn't effect me that much...

• 2 weeks later...

Ack, the unwelcome return of the Blake and Kalinda Melodramatic and Tonally Inapropriatte Sex and Violence Express. Blah. Interesting tidbit about Kalinda being married though, hopefully now they'll actually get to a point with this whole subplot.

All in all, kind of a shaky episode - the Alicia and Owen roadtrip started out funny, but the whole drug fuelled crush confession thing is a bit contrived and adolescent. The 'case' part was the most interesting but it never really got the attention it deserved with all the other stuff.

Poor Alicia though - yeah, not awkward at all. I was surprised by Will's about-face, but still don't want the season to end with the whole 'who will she pick' issue being paramount again, becuase Alicia is just cooler than that, dammit!

Ack, the unwelcome return of the Blake and Kalinda Melodramatic and Tonally Inapropriatte Sex and Violence Express. Blah. Interesting tidbit about Kalinda being married though, hopefully now they'll actually get to a point with this whole subplot.

Yeah, it's a little much. But at the same time I liked that it's finally circling towards a resolution that will be impactful of the story as a whole. The fact that the Bishop drug ring continues to circle about and wasn't just a one or two off episode is a good thing. It's connected to the new partner somehow too. And it's something that could resonate through all of season 3. The idea that whomever wins the election, be it Childs, Peter or the lady who's name I'm forgetting, will put the firm at considerable odds...

Chris Noth's commitment to the show in the future will impact this.

All in all, kind of a shaky episode - the Alicia and Owen roadtrip started out funny, but the whole drug fuelled crush confession thing is a bit contrived and adolescent. The 'case' part was the most interesting but it never really got the attention it deserved with all the other stuff.

It was a bit scattered for an episode. Hopefully we'll see this billionaire again in some way...

Poor Alicia though - yeah, not awkward at all. I was surprised by Will's about-face, but still don't want the season to end with the whole 'who will she pick' issue being paramount again, becuase Alicia is just cooler than that, dammit!

As noted above, I really feel that Chris Noth's commitment to the show's future will significantly impact how and where this story goes.

As noted above, I really feel that Chris Noth's commitment to the show's future will significantly impact how and where this story goes.

I hadn't thought of it that way - damn, I hope he stays though. Alicia/Peter is just way more interesting than Will/Alicia.

It seems like Lockhart-Gardener is being positioned to find themselves defending this drug ring moving in from Baltimore, via Bishop, and Will and Diane are going to have to decide whether they're willing to become as bad as Bond or stick to their principles somewhat. Does it seem like they're in the clear financially again, even though Bond left?

I hadn't thought of it that way - damn, I hope he stays though. Alicia/Peter is just way more interesting than Will/Alicia.

The only way to make Will more interesting, to my mind, is to find the actress Alexandra Powers and see if she's available to play against him...

• 1 month later...

Woah. I was hoping the infidelity thing would come back (though I suspect it'll just push Alicia towards Will, which, well, yawn.) but I wasn't expecting that. Seems a bit too neat, honestly (i'm guessing its a retcon) but at least it gives Kalindas mysterious background a point. Also, I really want to find out what Will's dirty secret here is.

The divorcing drug-dealer and Grace/race/religeon/the campaign plot lines were really funny too, though i'm wondering if the effort to have all the story lines move along in one episode means they're all going to come together towards the end of the season, which, again, seems too neat.

Really nice to see Carey and Alicia making up a bit though. Normal acts of decent adult behaviour seems like a rare commodity on tv sometimes.

I capital L love this show. I find the writing pretty great compared to most TV - adult, not too overt all the time, and interesting to me. I do like the way the show "hints" at things that come around 5 or 6 episodes later. And honestly, even though I suspected an affair between Peter and Kalinda in the first season (I felt there was something with the way they interacted in one of their very few conversations) I was still surprised when it was "outed" by Blake!

I like the way that I started liking Carey this season (especially when he wouldn't be intimidated by Blake). I enjoy the women characters' intelligence - and especially loved how Diane and her loyalists regained control of her firm! (I'm scared about the consequences, and the danger Bishop poses - but that's for season 3 I'm assuming).

Woah. I was hoping the infidelity thing would come back (though I suspect it'll just push Alicia towards Will, which, well, yawn.) but I wasn't expecting that. Seems a bit too neat, honestly (i'm guessing its a retcon) but at least it gives Kalindas mysterious background a point. Also, I really want to find out what Will's dirty secret here is.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the apparent resolution of the Kalinda/Blake story (and sending it in another direction). I truly do not believe that Kalinda slept with Peter, though his being the help she needed to change whatever the story about her is does make sense.

Frankly, Blake on the show made little and less sense to me once they ousted Bond. Wasn't he Bond's man all along? Did Will bring him in? I missed something when he first got there.

I like the way that I started liking Carey this season (especially when he wouldn't be intimidated by Blake). I enjoy the women characters' intelligence - and especially loved how Diane and her loyalists regained control of her firm! (I'm scared about the consequences, and the danger Bishop poses - but that's for season 3 I'm assuming).

Where the whole Bishop story goes, I have no idea as it has already deviated from what I'd originally thought. The apparent resolution of the Kalinda/Blake plotline into it's new metamorphosis has something to do with this as well.

I have high hopes, I just don't know what to expect anymore.

I have high hopes, I just don't know what to expect anymore.

I think that's one of the reasons why I'm so intrigued by the show. I only hope that it continues getting richer and more interesting - and not too convoluted and weird like a lot of other shows seem to do when they don't know where they're going.

Archived