The Factual History of A Song of Ice and Fire: including complete bibliography

Werthead

• 1 month later...

When will the next book be published i wonder. Late 2013?? or early 2014 is what i believe.

That's extremely optimistic. I have Christmas 2015 circled, and at the moment even that is starting to look optimistic.

That's extremely optimistic. I have Christmas 2015 circled, and at the moment even that is starting to look optimistic.

Does anyone know if GRRM was as busy back when he wrote aSoS as he is now? This is still the benchmark that gives us hope for tWoW - he wrote the longest book in two years. He just seems to have a lot on at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

If that's the case, I wonder what happens when the TV series catches up with the books. Maybe that motivates GRRM to finish the novels in a more timely manner (without sacrificing quality). Let's not forget the extra pressure to meet deadlines now - more popularity in the series = more money on the line = far greater expectations...

They have two albums. One(the latest one) is titled Seven Kingdoms but doesn't have two much to do with the books. The older one is titled Brothers of the Night and has much more to do, at least lyrically, with the books. One of my favorite lyrics comes from the song Eyes of Summer

Run to the north

Across barren waste

You'll find me inside of your dreams

In haunted woods

Where Others await

And nothing's as safe as it seems

Pretty simple but there it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2015 is most likely. But who knows he takes forever sometimes. But who can complain perfection isn't easy and the quality takes time to develop and get the layout right so the story flows. 2013 is far too optomistic even though I wish it could happen. The more asoif the better. That's what I like there is an unlimited amount of tales that can be told of this realm.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates needed to the OP (which is an excellent resource):

• There is a 2nd editon of the boardgame.
  • The TV Series entry needs updated. It appears to be pre-2nd season release.
  • The RPG has now been out for some time. A 2nd version of the core book has been released due to the TV series.

• 2 weeks later...
In this interview, posted yesterday, GRRM mentions he has 400 pages of WoW written, with 200 of them still in draft stage. Is that more than he had in his last status update?

He's been saying he had 200 pages finished for some time now (possibly since ADWD was published, indicating they are all or mostly material left over from ADWD rather than all-new material), but the 200 draft pages comment has come up only once before a few weeks ago. The 200 draft pages appear to form the amount of new material for the book he's completed since ADWD was published.

Obviously if TWoW is going to be 1,500 manuscript pages again and he wants it out in late 2014 (I still maintain this is extremely unlikely), then he needs to pick up the pace and, as he notes in the interview, that should be happening soon as his calendar is free of major engagements until well into next year.

Does anyone know if GRRM was as busy back when he wrote aSoS as he is now? This is still the benchmark that gives us hope for tWoW - he wrote the longest book in two years. He just seems to have a lot on at the moment.

No. But ASoS's writing time is somewhat illusory. GRRM had a large chunk of the book written when ACoK was published (for example, Tyrion's entire storyline in ASoS seems to have been completed before ACoK came out), just as he had a large chunk of ACoK finished when AGoT was published. The first three books are really one large narrative written over nine years (or rather 7.5-8 years spread over a 9-year period, as he worked on a TV show for 12-18 months of that period as well) and carved up whenever the narrative got too big to fit into one volume.

Obviously he was still writing a lot faster than now (that's still one big novel every two to three years), but the whole of ASoS certainly wasn't written in that 18-month-odd gap after ACoK.

If that's the case, I wonder what happens when the TV series catches up with the books.

The TV series overtakes the books and finishes before the books, basically. They have an outline from GRRM revealing what happens in the rest of the story and will use that if necessary, and of course will call upon hin to help them plot things out as they reach that point and perhaps get George to write key episodes (including, hopefully, the series finale).

But there's no way the TV series is going on hold until the books get done. If they have to overtake and finish first, and we get to see the ending of ASoIaF on screen years before we read it in a novel, that's what will happen.