The Factual History of A Song of Ice and Fire: including complete bibliography

Werthead

I think they'd start the seasons later. Each season has started in March-ish. They could move season four to summer 2014, and then season 5 to fall 2015, or something like that. I can't see the TV show overtaking the series. Although, I think I'm just lying to myself.

Unfortunately, I think you are. There is almost $70 million invested in each season of Game of Thrones, not to mention dozens of actors and hundreds of supporting crew employed by the series. They are not going to start moving schedules around and doing things to jeopardise people's jobs just because of whether or not the books are coming out on a schedule or not.

If GRRM does manage to get TWoW out in 2014 and ADoS in 2017, we should be fine. Either a delay of even a single year over that timescale or the addition of an eighth book would make it impossible to finish the books before the TV series finishes, assuming it goes the distance.

I think the first story is available as in ebook in Dreamsongs, but the other two aren't. The fourth will be published next year, and then a least a full year after that a collection of all four together, which I assume would be published as an ebook as well. Long wait though, so I'm afraid it's good old paper for now.

My local bookstore only has the wrong version of Dreamsongs that doesn't have The Hedge Knight in, I went with Amazon.

Dreamsongs 2, containing The Hedge Knight:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0553806580

Legends 2, containing The Sword Sword:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0345456440?pd=1

Warriors, containing The Mystery Knight:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0765320487

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I just finally finisshed ADWD after coming to the series very late and on the recomendation of a friend. I'm interested though not desparate to read the Dunk and Egg stuff. I'm wondering if there are any tentative plans to release the four dunk and egg novellas as a collection? I'm willing to buy all of the anthologies if there is no other alternative but if waiting a year or eighteen months means that I can get just the D and E stuff bundled together, I'd be willing to do that, especially since it will likely be a couple more years before TWOW hits the shelves.

Thanks.

Hi. I just finally finisshed ADWD after coming to the series very late and on the recomendation of a friend. I'm interested though not desparate to read the Dunk and Egg stuff. I'm wondering if there are any tentative plans to release the four dunk and egg novellas as a collection? I'm willing to buy all of the anthologies if there is no other alternative but if waiting a year or eighteen months means that I can get just the D and E stuff bundled together, I'd be willing to do that, especially since it will likely be a couple more years before TWOW hits the shelves.

Thanks.

Okay, to answer my own question, it does appear according to this, that there are plans to release the first four novellas in a set, subsequent to the inclusion of the fourth in the 'Dangerous Women' anthology.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I think the books will all come before the TV show:

March 2013: start showing ASOS1

March 2014: start showing ASOS2

March 2015: start showing AFFC

March 2016: start showing ADWD1

March 2017: start showing ADWD2

March 2018: start showing TWOW1

March 2019: start showing TWOW2

March 2020: start showing ADOS(1?)

So as long as there are 2 seasons each of ASOS (we know that) but also of ADWD and TWOW, then assuming a release date of first half of 2015 for TWOW, then he can delay the release of ADOS to early 2020. Still gives him 4.5 years to write it. Of course, this assumes that it is his last book! It might not be....

I just can't imagine the TV series overtaking the books. This would mean that any suspense finale, any surprise ending (who ends up on the Iron Throne? Who marries who? etc.) are revealed before he publishes it!? Unthinkable...

Hmm, I was bathing in in that warm sweet hope, too. But then someone pointed out, that it's not hard to turn ASOS into two seasons, each. And bam, two more years. And you can do a little mix and match and bingo AFFC and ADWD makes for four season. Not that I can see the show running that long and keeping its audience. Makes you wanna cry, doesn't it? Or this this list an official one, which I missed? Please, tell me that it is :bowdown:

Actually I think the books will all come before the TV show:

March 2013: start showing ASOS1

March 2014: start showing ASOS2

March 2015: start showing AFFC

March 2016: start showing ADWD1

March 2017: start showing ADWD2

March 2018: start showing TWOW1

March 2019: start showing TWOW2

March 2020: start showing ADOS(1?)

I've heard that they're going to do AFFC and ADWD at the same time. Whereas GRRM split the characters in the books, it would be odd to not have Jon Snow for an entire season on the HBO show. So, AFFC+ADWD should still combine to take 3 years.

I just can't imagine the TV series overtaking the books. This would mean that any suspense finale, any surprise ending (who ends up on the Iron Throne? Who marries who? etc.) are revealed before he publishes it!? Unthinkable...

They also have the option to not start every March.

Example

ASOS1- March 2013

ASOS2- July 2014

Feast+Dance1- November 2015

Feast+Dance2- March 2017

Dance 3- July 2018

TWOW1- September 2019

TWOW2- December 2020

So, by completely random and unofficial (but certain to happen) schedule, GRRM has until the end of 2020, early 2021 to release A Dream of Spring. They could even debut the book and last season in the same week.

They also have the option to not start every March.

They have that option, but will not exercise it. According to HBO, their old model of showing series whenever they were ready cost them ratings, as people weren't sure when to expect them back every year. Now they want their shows on at the same time every year, and won't start moving shows around because of the effect it has on other shows.

So that's not going to be the answer. The simple answer is that there is none: at this stage I consider HBO overtaking the books to be near-inevitable, and will be averted only by the TV show being cancelled before it reaches that point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

LATEST UPDATE: General update on everything.

I have noticed that a few newcomers we get around here don't seem to realise the increasingly large amount of ancilliary material about the series that is available, so putting up a list of all the materials related to ASoIaF seemed like a good move.

THE NOVELS

If you are here and haven't read these books, something has gone wrong somewhere. Rectify your mistake immediately! %7Boption%7Dhttp://asoiaf.wester...t/wink.gif[/img]

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000 - published in some territories as two volumes in paperback)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (2011)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

Note that the novels have been converted into illustrated limited editions, the first two by Meisha Merlin and the latter books by Subterrenean Press. A graphic novel adaptation of A Game of Thrones is currently underway, with the adaptation being published as both monthly installments and as multiple graphic novels (the first of which is now available).

THE SHORT STORIES & GRAPHIC NOVELS

These short novellas (roughly 100 pages each) form an ongoing serial which begins 89 years before A Game of Thrones and is expected (but not confirmed) to run through to about 39 years before AGoT. They chronicle the adventures of the hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall ('Dunk') and his young squire, 'Egg'. George RR Martin has said that there could be as many as nine to twelve of these stories.

The Hedge Knight (1998)

The Sworn Sword (2003)

The Mystery Knight (2010)

The She-Wolves of Winterfell (forthcoming)

The Hedge Knight was first published in the Legends anthology edited by Robert Silverberg. This book has been re-issued in the UK and is generally available on Amazon and eBay. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE BOOK WITH 11 STORIES, NOT THE EDITION WITH 4 STORIES. There is a wonderfully-illustrated graphic novel version by Dabel Brothers which is available now and has recently been reissued in hardcover. Additionally, the prose version of The Hedge Knight is back in print in GRRM: A RRetrospective by Subterranean Press and its mass-market edition, entitled Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective, which is published in the UK by Gollancz. The US edition by Bantam is split into two volumes: The Hedge Knight is in the second one.

It should be pointed out that Legends, although not a large volume, was split into three volumes when published in paperback in the United States. The Hedge Knight is found inside the US volume entitled 'Volume II' with a green cover. It was split into two volumes when published in paperback in the United Kingdom. The Hedge Knight is found inside the UK volume with the blue spine and the Terry Pratchett cover (it seems to have no number or subtitle). If ordering a copy, ensure that you are ordering the right one!

The Sworn Sword was first published in the Legends II anthology, also by Robert Silverberg. A graphic novel adaption by the same team as the first is available.

Legends II was also split into three volumes for US paperback publication. The Sworn Sword is found inside the volume entitled Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King. However, the UK paperback edition was published in one volume.

The third 'Dunk & Egg' story, The Mystery Knight was published in an anthology called Warriors, edited by Gardner Dozois and GRRM in March 2010.

The fourth Dunk & Egg story, tentatively titled The She-Wolves of Winterfell, will be published in a forthcoming anthology edited by Dozois and GRRM. The working title for that anthology is Dangerous Women and should be out in the summer of 2013.

The first four stories will be collected in one volume for publication in mid-to-late 2014 at the earliest.

THE COMPANION BOOK

The World of Ice and Fire (2013)

The companion book for the setting is currently in the planning stages and will be co-written by GRRM and Elio 'Ran' Garcia and Linda Antonsson, whose credentials as masters of all things Westeros are well-founded: they are the admins of this very site and their mighty on-line concordance has served as a reference for GRRM himself when he wants to look up facts in a hurry. Discussion of the world book and what will go in it is ongoing at this location. The book is tentatively scheduled for November 2013, but this is not a final date.

THE MAP COLLECTION

The Lands of Ice and Fire (2012)

This collection of 12 large poster maps - designed by George R.R. Martin and realised by cartographer Jonathan Roberts - features the first canon maps of central and eastern Essos, including the Dothraki Sea, Red Waste, Qarth, Jhogos Nhai, Asshai, Jade Sea and Shadow Lands. Also included are maps of Westeros, the Free Cities, the lands beyond the Wall, Slaver's Bay, the Summer Islands and city maps of King's Landing and Braavos.

THE ROLEPLAYING GAME

A Game of Thrones: The Roleplaying Game (2005)

This handsome book was created by Guardians of Order and distributed by White Wolf. It contains some fantastic artwork, a great concordenance of information on the Seven Kingdoms (including new, GRRM-penned information not seen elsewhere) and a complete roleplaying game based on the D20 system. Sadly, Guardians of Order folded before any of the planned expansions could be written, although a strong fan community is thriving at this location.

A Song of Ice and Fire: The Roleplaying Game (2009)

This new version of the RPG was created and published by Green Ronin and remains an ongoing system. They have released several expansions, including an adventure set in King's Landing and a more detailed account of the Night's Watch.

THE TV SERIES

Game of Thrones is the television series based on the novels. It is produced by the HBO cable channel, with D.B. Weiss and David Benioff serving as showrunners and main writers. There are ten 50-65-minute episodes per season. George R.R. Martin has so far written one script for each season of the show. The third season will begin airing in the USA on 31 March 2013.

Though closely based on the books, the TV series does change some things for budgetary and cast availability reasons.

THE ART BOOK

The Art of Ice and Fire (2005)

The Art of Ice and Fire, Volume II (2011)

These books from Fantasy Flight collects a huge amount of art from various sources and websites, including the CCG, board game and more.

THE BOARD GAMES

A Game of Thrones: The Boardgame (2003)

A Clash of Kings Expansion (2004)

A Storm of Swords Expansion (2006)

The Game of Thrones boardgame is published by Fantasy Flight Games and is a tactical battle game in the vein of Risk or Diplomacy. Players take the role of the one of the Great Houses in Westeros and battle for control of the Iron Throne. The Clash of Kings expansion adds siege rules and House Martell to the mix, whilst the Storm of Swords expansion adds new rules and a new battlemap focusing on combat in the Riverlands.

Battles of Westeros (2010)

Also by Fantasy Flight, this is a modular wargame based on battles in the ASoIaF setting. Several expansions have been released, one each for the Great Houses (lacking the Dornish and ironborn so far) and the Brotherhood Without Banners.

THE CCG

The Game of Thrones collectible card game by Fantasy Flight is one of the most successful in the business and has been running strongly for many years. There are frankly too many sets and game packs to list here, so follow the link for more information.

MUSIC

Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels may have a jokey companion CD of psychotic morris dancers, whilst Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time novels have an accompanying 'new world' music collection, but ASoIaF has its very own dedicated metal band: Winterfell! The band are on indefinite hiatus at the moment, but promise to return. So, if you've ever felt like listening to heavy rock music about the lone wolf surviving or the waves of the Narrow Sea, your tastes are catered for. Note that the band is purely unofficial and does not have the GRRM seal of approval.

COMPUTER GAMES

A Game of Thrones: Genesis (2011)

This is a strategy game, created by Cyanide Studios. In it, the player takes control of one of the Great Houses and wages war on many fronts (economical and political as well as raising armies) to gain the Iron Throne. The game was very heavily criticised on release for its production values, slow pace of play and poor interface, but has been praised for emphasising political intrigue, marriages and assassinations as well warfare.

Game of Thrones: The Roleplaying Game (2012)

The roleplaying game, also by Cyanide Studios, is a story-focused game set just before and during the events of A Game of Thrones. The game sees the player controlling two characters in different parts of Westeros as they follow separate storylines that slowly merge. Again, the game has been criticised for some dubious production values but has been much more strongly received overall than the strategy game. The intricate plot, complex characterisation of the two leads and several startling plot twists have all received high praise.

Seven Kingdoms (2013)

A forthcoming browser-based multiplayer game from Big Point Studios.

Mods

Fan-made, non-profit 'mods' for several games, including Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Crusader Kings 1, Minecraft and Mount & Blade are frequently discussed or proposed in the Objects of Ice and Fire thread of this board.

A mod is under construction for Medieval 2: Total War. Discussion is currently underway at this location. When complete, the mod will allow the player to take control of one of the main factions of Westeros and engage in a battle for control of the Seven Kingdoms. A mod is also under construction for Crusader Kings II.

NON-ASoIaF GRRM WORKS

George RR Martin has written more than just A Song of Ice and Fire in his 35+ year career. What follows is a listing of his other works.

Novels

Dying of the Light (1977)

Windhaven (1981, with Lisa Tuttle)

Fevre Dream (1982)

The Armageddon Rag (1983)

Tuf Voyaging (1987, actually a 'fixup' of several linked short stories)

Shadow Twin (2005, a novella cowritten with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham over a period of many years)

The Ice Dragon (2006, reprinting of a 1979 story in a children's book edition)

Hunter's Run (2007, the expanded, novel-length version of Shadow Twin)

Short Story Collections

A Song for Lya (1976)

Songs of Stars and Shadows (1977)

Sandkings (1981)

Songs the Dead Men Sing (1983)

Nightflyers (1985)

Portraits of His Children (1987)

Quartet (2001)

Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective (2003, mass-market edition 2006)

Dreamsongs collects together many of the short stories and novellas from the earlier collections, as well as the pilot script for the unproduced 1991 TV series Doorways. The Hedge Knight is also included.

Wild Cards

George RR Martin is the editor of a shared world anthology series revolving around the adventures and antics of a group of superheroes. This series has extended to more than twenty anthologies and novels, many featuring GRRM's work and virtually all edited by him. There has also been a roleplaying game based upon them, with a new edition by Green Ronin on the way. New additions to the series, again edited by George, are ongoing. The series has also been optioned as a film series. Read more about Wild Cards here.

Wild Cards (1987)

Aces High (1987)

Jokers Wild (1987)

Aces Abroad (1988)

Down and Dirty (1988)

Ace in the Hole (1990)

Dead Man's Hand (1990)

One-Eyed Jacks (1991)

Jokertown Shuffle (1991)

Double Solitaire (1992) - a full-length novel by Melinda Snodgrass

Dealer's Choice (1992)

Turn of the Cards (1993) - a full-length novel by Victor Milan

Card Sharks (1993)

Marked Cards (1994)

Black Trump (1995)

Deuces Down (2002)

Death Draws Five (2005) - a full-length novel by John J. Miller

Inside Straight (2007)

Busted Flush (2008)

Suicide Kings (2009)

Fort Freak (2011)

Lowball (forthcoming)

High Stakes (forthcoming)

The Low Call (2011) - graphic novel written by Daniel Abraham

TV

GRRM was writer, script editor and producer for various Hollywood TV and movie projects, most notably the 1980s iteration of The New Twilight Zone and the Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman series Beauty and the Beast. His short story Sandkings was also adapted as an episode of The Outer Limits in 1995.

AWESOME BIBLIOGRAPHY, REALLY GREAT JOB! I LOVE THESE FORUMS! THANK GOD FOR ICE AND FIRE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few things missing from the current list.

In addition to the 2nd edition mentioned previously, the Game of Thrones board game has a new ADWD expansion, albeit one that just adds a new scenario and cards. Sauce.

There is no mention of the upcoming "The Princess and the Queen" novella, though that can always wait for its actual release.

The mod for Crusader Kings 2 is pretty fleshed out at this point, and on version 0.4.0.1. (It is awesome)

And in the Music topic, you can't talk about ASOIAF-inspired music without mentioning

Also,

My bday is coming up and I want to get something ASoIaF related. Does anyone have the graphic novels? Are they any good?

I quite like the graphic novels, but I am more partial to the Dunk & Egg graphic novels. This might change when we reach a later point in the main series, though.

Edited by ashayatara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I only came to know about GRRM after watching the HBO series (a HUGE thanks to them). Before this, apart the from the popular choices, i.e., LOTR, HP and the Chronicles of Narnia, I wasn't much into the fantasy genre. Martin changed my entire perspective about it. His sheer ambition and grandeur bowled me over completely. I started reading the series in late September, 2011 and since then have been thoroughly obsessed with it. I can't recall spending an entire day since then, without thinking about the world of ASOIAF.

Thank you so much for this brilliant thread. I enjoyed reading it, a lot.

My own opinion is, that atleast another book is needed apart from the already announced 6th and 7th book. The battles for the Iron Throne and the war with the Others together seems, atleast to me, to be quite a lengthy story to be finished with only 2 books remaining.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to wait for TWOW. But at the same time, I don't want Martin to rush to the ending. Westeros and Essos seem to exist in a parallel universe now, and its hard for me to imagine that the characters, in the end, will live like the cliched fairy-tale happily ever after.

same here. hadn't read fantasy or sci fi since high school. thought it was too low-brow. started GOT Oct 2012 because I was/am thinking about writing a historical novel, and I wanted to see how a successful popular novel (that's kind of like a historical novel) was written. boom. totally hooked. read all 5 books in a about 3 weeks. it did not even occur to me until I was near the end of DWD that the series wasn't finished!! re-read again in March. I'm obsessed.

i'm still hoping wow comes out by xmas 2013. please GRRM, write write write.