The Factual History of A Song of Ice and Fire: including complete bibliography

Werthead

same here. hadn't read fantasy or sci fi since high school. thought it was too low-brow. started GOT Oct 2012 because I was/am thinking about writing a historical novel, and I wanted to see how a successful popular novel (that's kind of like a historical novel) was written. boom. totally hooked. read all 5 books in a about 3 weeks. it did not even occur to me until I was near the end of DWD that the series wasn't finished!! re-read again in March. I'm obsessed.

i'm still hoping wow comes out by xmas 2013. please GRRM, write write write.

Me too :) At the current rate that he's writing, I am certain that it will be released sometime in 2014. But if he writes very quickly and well, it may be this Xmas. That would hands down be amazing, albeit unlikely.

Actually I think the books will all come before the TV show:

March 2013: start showing ASOS1

March 2014: start showing ASOS2

March 2015: start showing AFFC

March 2016: start showing ADWD1

March 2017: start showing ADWD2

March 2018: start showing TWOW1

March 2019: start showing TWOW2

March 2020: start showing ADOS(1?)

So as long as there are 2 seasons each of ASOS (we know that) but also of ADWD and TWOW, then assuming a release date of first half of 2015 for TWOW, then he can delay the release of ADOS to early 2020. Still gives him 4.5 years to write it. Of course, this assumes that it is his last book! It might not be....

I just can't imagine the TV series overtaking the books. This would mean that any suspense finale, any surprise ending (who ends up on the Iron Throne? Who marries who? etc.) are revealed before he publishes it!? Unthinkable...

Given his current progress and pace of WoW, I think that it may be released some time in 2014. It seems likely...although I may just be being incredibly idealistic :D

You mentioned twice now in your last two posts that GRRM is basically writing faster than a speeding bullet to get the book out in 2014. Where does this assumption come from?

Do you have any insider information, or any new information that we might have missed, or is it just you being (probably way to) hopeful?

You mentioned twice now in your last two posts that GRRM is basically writing faster than a speeding bullet to get the book out in 2014. Where does this assumption come from?

Do you have any insider information, or any new information that we might have missed, or is it just you being (probably way to) hopeful?

Did you mean me? If so:

I have been researching GRRM's writing pace for other books and his updates religiously, and I have found multiple references that he is writing faster than he usually would. He is currently a quarter of the way through the book, with quite a bit of "unedited" work. As someone who has some experience there, I know that editing doesn't take that long. So, once that chunk has been edited, he may be nearly halfway through. And while its being edited, he continues to write. He has quite a few projects that he's working on at the moment, but he has mentioned that quite a few will soon be finishing/ending and so he will have more time to work on the Winds of Winter.

That said, I am perfectly aware that I am being overly optimistic. I am well aware that the earliest release date will be mid to late 2014, but a little optimism never hurt anyone. Although after you said it, I realise that I may have phrased it in a way that insinuated that I had insider or canon information, and I am sorry if I did.

And if you didn't mean me, then I apologise.

Yes, I did mean you. :D

I really hope you're right, but unfortunately it might be very optimistic (it can be done, if the side projects are limited).

I think that what's perhaps important to keep in mind is that yes, there's a chunk of 200-ish pages written and edited (?) already, and then probably some more that hasn't been edited, but those chapters that are were cut out of ADwD rather than being fresher material so while they will be new to us, they were written before he officially started writing TWoW.

If you've seen people who are less than hopeful, that's one of the reasons. It's been said for a while now that there's x amount of pages ready, but the amount hardly changes.

Now, you're totally right to keep optimism high, though, because what are you going to do without it? Let's not mope and pray that his pen and mind will be as swift as he wants it to be! :D

Now, you're totally right to keep optimism high, though, because what are you going to do without it? Let's not mope and pray that his pen and mind will be as swift as he wants it to be! :D

Exactly! :D Let us pray to the Old Gods :D

• 2 weeks later...

Elio 'Ran' Garcia and Linda Antonsson, whose credentials as masters of all things Westeros are well-founded: they are the admins of this very site and their mighty on-line concordance has served as a reference for GRRM himself when he wants to look up facts in a hurry.

The concordance is very useful though - looking through 'flora and fauna' of Westeros today - I was surprised to see the poppy was not listed (though milk of the poppy is mentioned in 'medicines').

Edited by The Knight of Flours

• 1 month later...

@ OP Werthead

I feel like your last 'edit' really revamped what your originial OP was. Is that info somewhere else now? It was almost GRRM's life story starting in the early 90's and sort of the obstacles he overcame to write the books. I remember info about the '5 year gap' was included in the original OP.

Am I going crazy? Was that actually what your original OP was about? If so, where did that info go?

@ OP Werthead

I feel like your last 'edit' really revamped what your originial OP was. Is that info somewhere else now? It was almost GRRM's life story starting in the early 90's and sort of the obstacles he overcame to write the books. I remember info about the '5 year gap' was included in the original OP.

Am I going crazy? Was that actually what your original OP was about? If so, where did that info go?

That might have been the ADWD update thread, which tracked that sort of thing more closely. If it was this one - it may have been, as the original version predated ADWD's release - then I probably edited all the stuff out that was no longer relevant. A discussion of the gap and so on would likely have been quite long.

• 4 weeks later...

just want to point out that the mods for Medieval 2 and Crusader Kings 2 have been completed

The Crusader Kings II mod is probably the best Game of Thrones game out there, which is pretty funny yet somewhat predictable. Various game studious tried to make a good GoT game, and the best is an unofficial fan made mod.

I have played it a *lot*. It's a dynasty/bloodlines game (genetics, titles, intrigue), rather than a war game, though obviously there is plenty of war.

just want to point out that the mods for Medieval 2 and Crusader Kings 2 have been completed

Medieval II's has not. There's a very early pre-alpha release (a demo, essentially). The final version is still not out.

• 3 weeks later...

LATEST UPDATE: General update on everything.

THE SHORT STORIES & GRAPHIC NOVELS

The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, The Mystery Knight and the forthcoming She-Wolves are short novellas (roughly 100 pages each) which form an ongoing serial which begins 89 years before A Game of Thrones and is expected (but not confirmed) to run through to about 39 years before AGoT. They chronicle the adventures of the hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall ('Dunk') and his young squire, 'Egg'. George RR Martin has said that there could be as many as nine to twelve of these stories. The Princess and the Queen is a historical novella set during the Dance of Dragons.

The Hedge Knight (1998)

The Sworn Sword (2003)

The Mystery Knight (2010)

The Princess and the Queen (2013)

The She-Wolves of Winterfell (forthcoming)

Why are these books 80-100 dollars on E-bay?

I'm just wanting to read them, I'm not concerned with first editions or anything collectible.

Should I just wait for the compilation to come out in 2014? Suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why are these books 80-100 dollars on E-bay?

I'm just wanting to read them, I'm not concerned with first editions or anything collectible.

Should I just wait for the compilation to come out in 2014? Suggestions?

Do you have a cell phone? I got them all pretty cheap on the iPhone App Store. I did have to buy a whole book of stories for each one but each book was only about $8

I've heard they are all on google play store too.