Flashbacks

undertow

So the pic of Brandon confirms that there are going to be flashbacks. I'm going to assume, simply because I want to, that the death of Rhaegar and the Tower of Joy will also be depicted, since they too are significant events (and because the two scenes are pretty badass). How do you think that the two scenes would be addressed? Would they use different actors for Ned and Robert? Mark Addy would at least need a body double, and Sean Bean is too old for the Tower of Joy. How would they address Howland Reed? Cast an actor and contract him to be available in 4+ years? That doesn't seem likely to me. How say you?

So the pic of Brandon confirms that there are going to be flashbacks. I'm going to assume, simply because I want to, that the death of Rhaegar and the Tower of Joy will also be depicted, since they too are significant events (and because the two scenes are pretty badass). How do you think that the two scenes would be addressed? Would they use different actors for Ned and Robert? Mark Addy would at least need a body double, and Sean Bean is too old for the Tower of Joy. How would they address Howland Reed? Cast an actor and contract him to be available in 4+ years? That doesn't seem likely to me. How say you?

I imagine they will also include Jaime near the iron throne with Ned riding in...

One thing to keep in mind is that they really only have to look 16 years younger. And when they're already ~50, using make up and effects to make these actors look 10+ years younger isn't out of the question. It would have been a lot harder if Ned and Jaime were supposed to be teenagers back then as they were in the book.

Robert vs. Rhaegar can be done in full armor so I think we can avoid dealing with fat vs. skinny Robert.

I'm of the opinion that ToJ will be sort of dream-like. We'll probably only see Ned's face, hear some dialogue, then see flashes of fighting, then Ned covered in blood running up the tower... But we'll see! :)

I'm of the opinion that ToJ will be sort of dream-like. We'll probably only see Ned's face, hear some dialogue, then see flashes of fighting, then Ned covered in blood running up the tower... But we'll see! :)

I was wondering if they may animate the ToJ and the Tourney at Harrenhal scenes, simply so as to not have to use actors.

That would be very out of character for this production.

You never know, especially when Ned's recalling the ToJ when he's doped out on opium/heroin and when the Reed's are telling something resembling a fairytale.

and by opium/heroin I mean "milk of the poppy."

Okay so I was thinking concerning flashbacks. How cool would this be and how plausible. I know its jumping the gun a bit but after the end of the first season the people who haven't read the books are probably going to be impatient waiting for some dragon action so do you think that the show will do a flashback scene to the field of fire battle? They could do it by having a character discusing it and fade into the battle

Okay so I was thinking concerning flashbacks. How cool would this be and how plausible. I know its jumping the gun a bit but after the end of the first season the people who haven't read the books are probably going to be impatient waiting for some dragon action so do you think that the show will do a flashback scene to the field of fire battle? They could do it by having a character discusing it and fade into the battle

That might be more than HBO is willing to spend on CGI. And this is a spoiler forum.

I know its jumping the gun a bit but after the end of the first season the people who haven't read the books are probably going to be impatient waiting for some dragon action so do you think that the show will do a flashback scene to the field of fire battle?

Very unlikely. Too expensive and very historic. There are a lot of other flashbacks they could do, which involve characters who feature in the show or directly impact on events in the show.

If ToJ features, i'd go with the dream-like idea. Probably cast the Kingsguard but Howland can just be shadow figure. The age thing is the biggest hurdle but if its a dream. it should be easier to hide that. 16-17 years is long enough otherwise.

Archived