New "Iron Throne" Trailer

Cersei really stands out for me, I'm really looking forward to seeing Lena Heady bringing my favourite character to life! And to echo everyone else, that final Jaime line was just brilliant! Roll on April!

What do you lot think about the dragon egg Dany is holding? Does that fit your mental image of the dragon egg from the books? It doesn't fit mine, but I think it looks alright. Very scaly. Though by showing the dragon egg in the trailer they are hinting at its importance in the series. This will take away from the surprise and the shock when the eggs crack open in the end and the dragons emerge.

Definitely not the same as my mental image, no. In my head the scales didn't overlap, they were more like hard, oval "blisters", if you know what I mean. And they don't look very colorful, or maybe that's just color filtering?

The eggs are actually very close both and size and look to how I imagined them, though I think they were more colorful in my mind. Maybe we just haven't had a good look at them, but they are more drab than I imagined. I always saw them as very much like semi-precious stones in appearance, with a real luster. I could almost imagine like a giant egg-shaped, carved piece of jade with beautiful, gold occlusions for the green one, for instance.

.... though I think they were more colorful in my mind. Maybe we just haven't had a good look at them, but they are more drab than I imagined. I always saw them as very much like semi-precious stones in appearance, with a real luster. I could almost imagine like a giant egg-shaped, carved piece of jade with beautiful, gold occlusions for the green one, for instance.

Definitely agree with you. In fact that's how they are described in the book... almost like petrified dragon eggs. The one in the promo is all shiny and looks brand new. Not a deal breaker for me, but would prefer them to look as you described.

Um... why are there hilts and such making up the Iron Throne?

Because it's a bunch of swords! If awesome was a number, that's how many swords there would be.

And I always imagined Dany's eggs to be bigger, like the size of a person's head. This is good too, though.

Funny, I would expect that the hilts, being wood and leather, would fail to survive Balerion's dragonfire.

This kind of sword is basically one piece of metal, including the pommel and the inner part of the hilt. Then there's a wood or leather grip attached around the hilt to make it easier to hold, but if you remove that, you end up with something more or less like you see in those pictures. I'm not an expert but I'm fairly sure swords for combat were mostly made this way - some reproductions have the hilt made as a separate piece that's then welded on, but it's still metal. If you had a metal blade just attached onto an all-wood-and-leather hilt, they'd tend to break apart at a really inconvenient time.

Anyway, these weren't swords that went through dragon fire; they were surrendered by the lords who bent the knee to Aegon, not scraped off the battlefield. Dragons melted stone at Harrenhal, so blades wouldn't have survived.

From the wiki: "It took 59 days and the fires of Balerion the Black Dread to hammer 1,000 swords into the shape of a throne."

And i know that the core of the hilt is metal, but the rounded pommels and stuff are definitely put together after.

Which is grand. This is an awesome look. Not sure what mushed up swords would look like.

Yet more gruesome. And probably a bit more dangerous to work with for the actors, thinking about expensive costumes that snag on something and rip.

From the wiki: "It took 59 days and the fires of Balerion the Black Dread to hammer 1,000 swords into the shape of a throne."

And i know that the core of the hilt is metal, but the rounded pommels and stuff are definitely put together after.

To me this implied that Balerion's fire was used as part of the construction of the throne, not that every sword was melted to a goupy mess. After all, it also says the swords were "hammer"ed into place.

To me this implied that Balerion's fire was used as part of the construction of the throne, not that every sword was melted to a goupy mess. After all, it also says the swords were "hammer"ed into place.

Right. Balerion would have made the swords more malleable. They'd still look like swords but they'd be a lot more fused together than the look HBO has gone for. Its all fine anyhow.

Archived