NFL thread lucky 13

davos

If I were a packers fan I would be deadly worried that the 3rd string qb of the bears, for crying out loud, almost beat you.

It was a Packer-Bears game. Strange things are almost destined happen. Hanie's near come-back is going to become part of the lore of the rivalry. I think you are making to much out of it though. While Hanie did generate to much offense he also threw 2 critical int's that pretty much killed the Bear's chances.

This game is proof positive that Jay Cutler will never be a quality QB in the NFL.

He isn't injured enough to need to sit down; he isn't injured enough to be out of the game. fucking pansy.

I feel bad for the fans of Chicago who got duped into thinking they actually had a quarterback. (except Kal.)

Dr. Stego is basing his diagnosis on what? X-ray vision?? Jedi Mind Tricks??? Betazoid Empathy????

There is only one top-tier QB left in the playoffs. But that was true this morning as well. QB's don't win championships. Teams do. Rodgers and the Packers might. But they might not.

I think the Pack was just playing conservative vs the inexperienced Hanie, which ultimately was the right strategy.

I agree Cutler wasn't as bad as the stats show, but he was definitely was off, and I seriously doubt the Bears were going to win with him today even without the injury. He wasn't any worse than Rodgers was as it turns out.

The Packers were playing conservatively, which was totally wrong; when they blitzed Hanie he was 0 for 4 with a pick for a TD. You don't have to go to the psycho packages, but playing vanilla is about the worst thing you can do; that's what let him stay in the game at all.

Cutler was off - but he was about as off as Rodgers was or Brady was. That's what happens when you play tough defenses. There were a couple throws that were bad but the interception was at the end of the half and was a pretty decent throw; the defender made a play on it and the receiver didn't. Compared to Rodgers who threw it pretty much right to Urlacher and the decision making wasn't that bad. I don't think that Cutler beats the Packers, but honestly I never expected Cutler to beat the Packers; I expected the defense and special teams to. That was the real disappointment; the punting game flat-out sucked for the bears (and the Packers played lights out) and the defense gave up far too much on the ground, especially in the first half. They tightened up hard in the second half, but by then the damage was done.

I do wonder what happened to Cutler's knee to cause him to get benched, and yeah - it does seem like a bitch move to not go back in. Guess we'll find out more.

On the flip side - anyone else hear that Carson Palmer wants to be traded or will retire? Wow.

There is only one top-tier QB left in the playoffs. But that was true this morning as well. QB's don't win championships. Teams do. Rodgers and the Packers might. But they might not.

Roethlisberger may not be a top tier QB on the level of Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees, but he's about as close as it gets at the next step down.

I feel bad for the fans of Chicago who got duped into thinking they actually had a quarterback. (except Kal.)
It's okay - I feel bad for Pats fans who are associated with Pats fans, and I really feel bad for Pats fans who found out the hard way that Brady couldn't win the big game and relied way too much on his defense and kicking game.

Amusing stat: Cutler (1/1 in the playoffs) has a better winning % than Brady in the playoffs since the last superbowl win. Clearly this means something, to quote Rock.

Dude, I know.

But it's the Jets. I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

I'm going to take a hot shower.

Oh, I feel ya. If the Cowboys were playing the Steelers in the Superbowl I'd have no choice but to root for Pittsburgh. Every year is supposed to be the Cowboys year for maybe 5 of the last 8-10 years. And I always had to contemplate the indignity of rooting for the Pats or Steelers against them.

Fortunately, the Cowboys have been consistently full of shit so I never had to deal with it.

But I understand.

ETA: Yes that third sentence technically makes no sense, but I think y'all know what I mean.

The Packers were playing conservatively, which was totally wrong

Yea right. The only reason it wasn't a blow out is because Rodgers and the WR core were a bit off. The Pack did exactly what they needed to do. Dom Capers is one of the top Def coordinators in the league.

Interesting, but one of them was a teenager, the charges were dropped and I don't know enough about that one. In the other case, he was a grown ass man (*also rich and famous), partying with teenagers and while those charges were dropped, I know enough to have an opinion. Plus he went to the bullshit "getting right with god" PR move.

ETA:*

Roethlisberger may not be a top tier QB on the level of Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, and Brees, but he's about as close as it gets at the next step down.

I'd put both Rivers and Vick ahead of Ben for sure, and maybe Ryan and Flacco. If there are four tiers, I'd say Ben is one of the better in the second.

And Arrowfan, you are driving me buggy. Teams have CORPS of wide receivers, not CORES. Pronounced the same but big difference in meaning.

And before anyone says anything, of course I'm being facetious. It's as idiotic to say Brady is a bad QB because of his playoff record since 2004 as it is to say Manning's a bad QB or that Marino's a bad QB. Or that it matters at all.

Cutler looked great against Seattle last week. Rodgers looked phenomenal against Atlanta last week. Both QBs played against inferior defenses and looked surprisingly awesome. This shouldn't be a surprise. This week both QBs play against tough defenses and look...worse. Again, no big surprise. Condemning Cutler for this performance is what sports radio people do.

Now, what I am worried about is that in seeing Hanie, I'm reminded of all the amazingly annoying Cutler things he does. His lack of pocket presence, his poor vision, his crazy mechanics. Hanie did step up well a couple times to avoid a sack and buy more time, and he had a nice bit of touch on his throws. I'm sure that he's not as good as his stats indicated; as stated above, the Packers went conservative and let Hanie make his own mistakes, and he did some of the time. With more film and a better plan he'd likely look horrible. But he did look better in certain ways that cutler doesn't, and that bugs.

What I want to try and figure out is whether or not you can effectively neutralize the bad parts of Cutler and just utilize the good parts. what I'm thinking is a spread offense where he throws within 2-3 seconds every time, combined with absurdly fast receivers and guys able to make some space. Make the reads really simple and let his athleticism take over. If his mechanics suck, it won't matter since he won't get pressure all that often and he can make those crazy throws that go super fast.

Yea right. The only reason it wasn't a blow out is because Rodgers and the WR core were a bit off. The Pack did exactly what they needed to do. Dom Capers is one of the top Def coordinators in the league.
Dom Capers let a 3rd string QB on the Bears (do you know how bad you have to be to behind Todd Collins on the depth chart?) come within 40 yards of tying the game in the final two minutes. In a game that the Packers had utterly dominated due to being aggressive, brinnging blitzes and attacking nonstop they gave up 14 points to an offense led by a quarterback who up until today had thrown 8 total completed passes in his entire career.

Giving up 14 points in one quarter along with twice as many yards as the entire game? That's not a good choice for a defense. Don't mistake result for good decision; if not for that 3rd and 3 play that was beyond stupid, the bears have momentum and are making play after play and driving with plenty of time.

The Packers were playing conservatively, which was totally wrong; when they blitzed Hanie he was 0 for 4 with a pick for a TD. You don't have to go to the psycho packages, but playing vanilla is about the worst thing you can do; that's what let him stay in the game at all.

Cutler was off - but he was about as off as Rodgers was or Brady was. That's what happens when you play tough defenses. There were a couple throws that were bad but the interception was at the end of the half and was a pretty decent throw; the defender made a play on it and the receiver didn't. Compared to Rodgers who threw it pretty much right to Urlacher and the decision making wasn't that bad. I don't think that Cutler beats the Packers, but honestly I never expected Cutler to beat the Packers; I expected the defense and special teams to. That was the real disappointment; the punting game flat-out sucked for the bears (and the Packers played lights out) and the defense gave up far too much on the ground, especially in the first half. They tightened up hard in the second half, but by then the damage was done.

I do wonder what happened to Cutler's knee to cause him to get benched, and yeah - it does seem like a bitch move to not go back in. Guess we'll find out more.

On the flip side - anyone else hear that Carson Palmer wants to be traded or will retire? Wow.

I agree with all your other points, but with a 1 to 2 touchdown lead, the Packers really didn't need to gamble. Sure, it was almost bad, and overall Hanie did surprisingly well. Still their approach worked almost as well as if it were planned that way.

Dom Capers let a 3rd string QB on the Bears (do you know how bad you have to be to behind Todd Collins on the depth chart?) come within 40 yards of tying the game in the final two minutes. In a game that the Packers had utterly dominated due to being aggressive, brinnging blitzes and attacking nonstop they gave up 14 points to an offense led by a quarterback who up until today had thrown 8 total completed passes in his entire career.

Giving up 14 points in one quarter along with twice as many yards as the entire game? That's not a good choice for a defense. Don't mistake result for good decision; if not for that 3rd and 3 play that was beyond stupid, the bears have momentum and are making play after play and driving with plenty of time.

Hey listen, I hear ya. I guess what he didn't want to do is give up any big plays. It got them to the NFC champ game defeating 2 of the 3 best teams in the NFC on the road, and now to the SB. So maybe he knows something about his defense we don't.

Let's not be ridiculous here. There are reasons why Rodgers was off. You think it is just coincidence that these teams have met 3 times and each game came down to one score?

The Packers (and Rodgers) should have played better but obviously the Bears (and Cutler) should have as well.

So, TD Stillers, well done. But did they really just lose another OLineman? Goddamn.

ETA: Wait, Bill Callahan is the Jets' OLine coach? Huh, welll, at least we know what happened to him.

Archived