NFL Thread 14 - Super Bowl

Mexal

I was thinking that if the Bengals fired Marvin Lewis and hired Fisher, would that be awesome or just meh? He's leagues better than Lewis, but I'm not sure that he's a great coach.

I think that would be better. However, there is no way they'd do that after just signing him.

Fisher is a better coach that Lewis. I like Lewis well enough but his game day coaching is among the league's worst. I am hoping that the addition of a new offensive coordinator will help him.

I was thinking that if the Bengals fired Marvin Lewis and hired Fisher, would that be awesome or just meh? He's leagues better than Lewis, but I'm not sure that he's a great coach.

I don't think it matters a bit as long as the team ownership and GM stay the same.

I don't think it matters a bit as long as the team ownership and GM stay the same.

The GM being the owner...

I don't disagree with this either. From what I understand, Mike Brown has complete control over everything, even down to who plays on Sundays. He might not always make the decision but he has the ultimate call. It's fucking ridiculous and it's why we will not have a winning franchise until he dies. Word is that Katie Blackburn, his daughter who would take over the team should he expire, wants to hire as GM and modernise the team but Brown has repeatedly said no.

The GM being the owner...

I don't disagree with this either. From what I understand, Mike Brown has complete control over everything, even down to who plays on Sundays. He might not always make the decision but he has the ultimate call. It's fucking ridiculous and it's why we will not have a winning franchise until he dies. Word is that Katie Blackburn, his daughter who would take over the team should he expire, wants to hire as GM and modernise the team but Brown has repeatedly said no.

Yeah, I know it seems like a horrible thing, but Bengals fans share that with Raiders fans -- waiting for the idiot in charge to croak.

Yeah, I know it seems like a horrible thing, but Bengals fans share that with Raiders fans -- waiting for the idiot in charge to croak.

While I can think of plenty of reasons, this would never work... it sure does seem like for the good of the league, there should be a method whereby the other owners should be able to strip ownership or impose some form of oversight on "underperforming" franchises.

I believe that an owner has to be approved by the NFL before buying. Or anyone buying an ownership stake. So that approval's already there. Once that happens, though, they can be the flinging monkey poo at the windows of their luxury box guy. Or even worse, Al Davis.

I'm fine with that in principle as even a shitty franchise run by a shitty guy is still not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. It's disappointing and hurts that local franchise's fans, but the overall product is still very strong. In general that tends to work itself out, as a richer person will come in and try to buy the thing because they see value in it.

NFL teams make more money the more successful they are. Why would they want to oust the ownership of perennial losers? It makes no fiscal sense.

I feel bad for Bengals and Raiders fans, but as a Pats fan... it's two teams in the AFC I never have to worry about.

As I said, I see plenty of reasons it would never work. If I were Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft, I would never vote to oust an Al Davis for the mere fact that it sets dangerous precedent that could one day be used on me.

:dunno:

I'm sure that there are provisions in place for a continuity of control if an Al Davis were to ever actually lose the ability to function in day to day life. Unfortunately, no one could have ever anticipated his dark pact that lead to his necromantic current existence...

While I can think of plenty of reasons, this would never work... it sure does seem like for the good of the league, there should be a method whereby the other owners should be able to strip ownership or impose some form of oversight on "underperforming" franchises.

Or they could follow the MLB model of hiring the worst owner so he eventually sells his team and the new owner immediately makes it a contender for the playoffs instead of the bottom of the league.

Or they could follow the MLB model of hiring the worst owner so he eventually sells his team and the new owner immediately makes it a contender for the playoffs instead of the bottom of the league.

Some owners (Mike Brown) don't care about winning but making money and right now, he does. Losing won't change that because the NFL brand is so big.

Grudge match?

Polamalu, not Matthews, wins defensive player of the year award

As it turns out, the reports that Packers linebacker Clay Matthews won the Associated Press defensive player of the year award were incorrect.

Polamalu received 17 of 50 votes. Matthews got 15. Steelers linebacker James Harrison received eight, Bears defensive end Julius Peppers got six, Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher received two, Ravens safety Ed Reed got one, and Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata got one.

If it was up to me I would've given it to Matthews. Nothing against Polamalu who remains ridiculous, I just don't think this was his most dominant season, least in the Steelers games I saw. Besides it's really more about Matthews who I thought was a force of nature at times this year. There were games I saw him singlehandedly wreck an offense.

Whatever. I'm sure USC fans are excited about the top two and doubly so for an award that won't get taken away (short of use of performance enhancing conditioner by either guy)

Polamalu is amazing, but this award belonged to Matthews.

I can't really argue Polamalu versus Matthews, but, at least by the statistics (which don't always tell the whole story, of course), Harrison had a much more dominating season than Matthews. In the time I've been watching the Steelers, which is basically since Cowher first started coaching there, outside linebackers in the 3-4 usually don't put up more than 60 tackles or so, maybe 70 in a really good year. Middle linebackers and safeties are the guys who are more likely to accumulate tackles in the 100-150 range. Harrison had 100 tackles this year (not even the first time he's done this); the only other outside linebacker that I know has been able to put up this kind of production is Greg Lloyd, though there may have been others. Harrison is simply relentless, and the way he pushes his side of the offensive line is amazing to me. Harrison will make tackles on runs that go off center, pushing his way all the way from the left tackle to the center of the line. Matthews beats Harrison in sacks by three, but Harrison has more interceptions, passes defensed, and forced fumbles.

Harrison will make tackles on runs that go off center, pushing his way all the way from the left tackle to the center of the line. Matthews beats Harrison in sacks by three, but Harrison has more interceptions, passes defensed, and forced fumbles.

100 tackles by a pass rusher is pretty amazing. Makes me think he's a critical part of their dominant run defense which makes him pretty rare among sack artists. Even if teams are running at him the stats bear out that he's holding up.

But I still give it to Matthews this year because Harrison has Woodley. Matthews meanwhile is the Packers pass rush. He puts all the teeth in that defense and I think is a big part of the reason why the Packers corners always look so good.

Archived