Article - HBO's Game of Thrones Will Be Awesome.

limbstan

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/01/game_of_thrones_will_never_end.php

Sorry if somebody's posted this already, but I wanted to see what real fans think of this guys points.

I personally think he makes a bunch of good ones. HBO has never been a place to show much patience with a show (The Wire being an exception). This show will need to be wildly successfull for them to keep making it because of its expense. But even then, the story is going to take over 7 seasons to tell even by Martin's admission. This means this show will have to be the longest running hour long show HBO has ever done, and they'll have to keep all of these actors on board for all of those 7+ years. GRRM thinks he has like 10 years to finish his books. No way in hell any show stays on HBO for 10 years. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.

I'm super excited about the show, and I hate to be a downer, and any season is better than no season; but I just don't see us getting to the end of this story on the small screen.

What do you guys think?

I think they could reasonably do the first three books and have that be the 'end'. And then revisit it based on the series' popularity and quality of the later books. ASOS is a natural ending for a series and certainly has an ending on par with something like Deadwood or Sopranos or even Carnivale, so the precedent is there.

Nothing terribly original there. Usual bit of griping about GRRM. And it loses the run of itself when it starts talking about 2026.

A show lasting 10 year is not very likely (just because people get tired and want to move onto other things) but I don't think HBO focuses on how long a show has lasted when it decides to renew it or not. It looks at how popular it is. What kind of stories have yet to be told. Is it winning awards. So if the show is still popular in 5 years and aDwD is a very good book then they probably will film it. Similarly book 6 and 7. If it isn't popular then they wouldn't bother.

But yes, as HT said, no point unduly worrying. HBO has plenty material at the moment to work with. And if we get as far as aSoS I will consider myself very very fortunate. :)

Left a reply before I realised it was 2 weeks old, so they've probably moved on from the discussion.

There are ways they can keep it as 7-8 seasons, probably involving being extremely ruthless to storylines and characters, particularly in AFFC. That seems more likely to me than the show going on for 10+ years.

You're a cup being half-full and half-empty at the same time sort of guy, eh? ;)

HBO has never run an original drama past 6 seasons, and I don't really expect them to start any time soon, though obviously, it's a hope. But as it is, for me, "the" story is what GRRM's writing. The show's nice, but it's something else.

sopranos kind of did 7 seasons, if you count season 6 as a and b. six feet under got 5 seasons, as did the wire. i think with the source material they have there is a real possibility of it being finished unless people lose interest during season 4.

sopranos kind of did 7 seasons, if you count season 6 as a and b. six feet under got 5 seasons, as did the wire. i think with the source material they have there is a real possibility of it being finished unless people lose interest during season 4.

Entourage is at 7 seasons now plus 8 bonus episodes, no? EDIT: Oh, they're calling it season 8 on the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entourage_(TV_series)

I realize Entourage is a different breed of show.

I think SoS will be the ending. Dont forget, the series is called Game of Thrones. The Others and Dany will probably just be an unresolved story line, which I am fine with.

Yeah, that's another thing, the story will eventually move from majority political intrigue with some supernatrual fantasy elements, to some serious fantastical shit. A war between ice monsters and their zombie minions versus people riding dragons. I'm not sure how that's gonna translate very well to an HBO show.

Yeah, that's another thing, the story will eventually move from majority political intrigue with some supernatrual fantasy elements, to some serious fantastical shit. A war between ice monsters and their zombie minions versus people riding dragons. I'm not sure how that's gonna translate very well to an HBO show.

You put into words my deepest fears. I immediately fell in love with the series because it lacked magic and seemed to be a historical fiction in a fantasy world. Now it treads ever closer to the 'hero saving the day', prophecies on everything and magic blazing, atypical fantasy trope.

I do wish Martin had kept The Others and Dragons out of this series. The characters and events and indulging writing carried the story without needing fantastical elements added.

And now I read for sake of finishing the series, with my disappoint seeping in further and further. If only the series was named "A Game of Thrones" or "The Iron Throne" - my life would be complete.

Hm...he's really building up to some fantastical confrontations, but while the political intrigue may have to take a backseat for some of it, I doubt it'll be going away entirely. There will probably be people who will take advantage of the situation to usurp power for their own means. I don't think the dragons are going to have time to grow big enough or strong enough to swoop in and save the day as one might expect from a typical fantasy. They'll probably be used, but we'll see how much of a help they end up being.

My hope is that the bulk of the encounter and battle takes place in Winds of Winter, and that the rest of the final book covers the aftermath and how the political situation plays out then.

And now I read for sake of finishing the series, with my disappoint seeping in further and further. If only the series was named "A Game of Thrones" or "The Iron Throne" - my life would be complete.

Yes. What Mychelle said. I don't think GRRM is going to completely change tack. The first 4 books have seen very little magic. It may increase but it wouldn't dominate things completely. So I don't think you need to be dissappointed yet.

For example, I don't think anyone expects the Others to win the coming war. The mystery is more about how Westeros will sit afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Dragons and others may feature along with more of Mels blood magic. But they've already featured in the books and we all still like em so....

I seriously doubt we'll see a major level up in terms of magic featured. Nobody's going to be channelling the one power here.

On the series itself. Anyone would agree its unlikely we'll see a completed series given the length of time it takes GRRM to finish books.

But also, I would worry about the audience for this product. We on this forum and internet fans in general are a self-selecting group and are building up the hype amongst ourselves. I personally can't wait to see this series and think it looks great, but I know a lot of my non fantasy reading friends won't give it a chance, guys and gals who would be majorly into stuff like the soprano's, the wire, mad men etc. I worry about its chances of getting picked up even for season 2. Hope I'm wrong.

I've often wondered if GRRM had it to do over again if he'd have made the first three books a trilogy with a bit more solid ending. Then he could have picked up the second "Song of Ice and Fire" trilogy whenever and wherever he'd wanted. Perhaps with a 'bridge' stand-alone book between them. Robin Hobb's pair of Fitz trilogies worked pretty well. And there was a lot less hostility directed toward her between them, even though the main external threat hadn't been dealt with.

Archived