Soccer XXVI

Renasko

As the Asia Cup final winds down, Australia and Japan slugging it out for dominance, neither finding a break through, we open this thread. With celebrations blooming, which side will emerge the victorious one?

In Europe, the national cup competitions are ongoing and the Champions League is close to returning.

On the national teams side of things, the Nations Cup is close. A tournament that surely will be winnable for an internationally unsuccesful Irish side.

I live in hope.

God this season is depressing. Good performance by Werder against Bayern still results in a 1-3 defeat.

Dortmund look unstoppable, and how awesome is Mario Götze? Part of a great generation of players coming of age right now. The only way the future could look brighter in this respect is if Nuri Sahin had decided to play for Germany.

Semantics.

And so, the final goes to Extra-Time. Damnit. Australia were finishing strongly, as well.

Also, pleased to see Celtic win in their semi-final game against Aberdeen. Good debut for Commons. Scored a nice lobbed shot to open up the game. :)

wow. southampton is on top of man united. i have to say i would like to see some more play like that! what a goal!

and the asia cup final was one of the best games i have seen in a long time. both teams really put their hearts out there and played strong and determined. that cross and volley though was magic.

The difference between the football associations of Northern and Southern Ireland is merely semantics now? Gerry Adams will be pleased. :P

:laugh:

Muntari and Sessegnon have signed for Sunderland. I believe an extremely loud roar in triumph would sum up my current feelings. :laugh: Moving in the right direction...paid less than £7m for two potentially class players. Add in a decent striker, even SKP for 6-months would do me, just to add cover until Welbeck is fit again. Buy a proper striker in the summer if we're going to be overcharged now.

Torres for 50 million + Anelka is the rumour. Ehhh, I'd prefer more depth, so getting rid of Anelka isn't exactly something I like, on the other hand he looks so disinterested most of the time.

Hopefully Torres hits form now.

Assuming this happens of course. It probably won't.

Dortmund look unstoppable, and how awesome is Mario Götze? Part of a great generation of players coming of age right now. The only way the future could look brighter in this respect is if Nuri Sahin had decided to play for Germany.

Germany seems pretty deep at attacking midfielder already.

Torres for 50 million + Anelka is the rumour. Ehhh, I'd prefer more depth, so getting rid of Anelka isn't exactly something I like, on the other hand he looks so disinterested most of the time.

Hopefully Torres hits form now.

Assuming this happens of course. It probably won't.

It's not Anelka, it's Sturridge. From what I've read/heard.

Germany seems pretty deep at attacking midfielder already.

Hence my wish for Sahin to add to the defensive midfield options.;) Of course there's the Bender twins, so I'm not truly worried about that.

Götze, Holtby, Müller and Özil are probably the attacking midfielders with the greatest potential. There is also Milan's Alexander Merkel, but I don't know enough about him (not even sure if he's more attack or defensively minded).

Speaking of Milan, van Bommel introduced himself to Serie A in style by getting sent off in his first league game.:thumbsup:

:laugh:

Muntari and Sessegnon have signed for Sunderland. I believe an extremely loud roar in triumph would sum up my current feelings. :laugh: Moving in the right direction...paid less than £7m for two potentially class players. Add in a decent striker, even SKP for 6-months would do me, just to add cover until Welbeck is fit again. Buy a proper striker in the summer if we're going to be overcharged now.

I think Muntari is an odd signing and I know nothing about Sessegnon. It'll be interesting to see if Steve Bruce signs another striker to fill the lareg hole that Darren Bent has left or if he'll just rely on Asamoah Gyan for the rest of the season. Hugo Rodallega seems like a decent shout since Bruce has signed him before and he's got a decent goalscoring record.

Isn't Gotze a slightly deeper midfielder than Muller or Ozil? Creative, but less outright attacking? I don't know that much about him, but that's the impression I'd got. Kind of a Xavi-ish position.

No, he's very much an attacking midfielder who can play on both wings and behind the striker(s). Sahin would be Dortmund's equivalent of Xavi.

Archived