Why do I find so many of you Creepy?

Sekhmet

It can always be better. Being absolutely positive about everything is just as annoying and just as 'wrong' as nitpicking everything to death.

I'm not positive about everything. I have my reservations too. I just don't feel the need to voice my reservations about every little detail. Many here do.

I admit, I was having a bad day. Like many across the US, I'm facing sub-zero temperatures. And I just read too many negative posts in one day, and not enough positive posts to negate that.

Nitpik away!! Please.

For the record. Dany's wig isn't superb. Wish it were. But I'm not going to say to Emilia, "you should have dyed your hair." Sean isn't Ned's age in the books, but Sean is going to personify Ned. I know him. OK, I'm not crazy about the blue ink on Jason Momoa, but he's going to be a great Khal. Dinklage is very attractive, but he's also the most superb actor of his size, and Tyrion's part required that size. I wasn't crazy about Mark Addy, I wanted to see a bigger man in the role, but Addy is an excellent actor and I'm pleased to have him. Quite frankly, I hate the pulled back look on Ned's and Robert's wig, but it's such a small criticism. And for those of you who say, "how do you know?", unlike perhaps you, I've seen these actors in other efforts, and my confidence is boundless!

Like many of you, I have my nitpiks. But I still think this is our wetdream. Please, kill me for being positive!

BTW, so sick of hearing the name Boromir. I'd like to hear Sharpe instead. But hey, that's just me.

Having a dwarf play a dwarf (for instance) isn't even essential: cue the 6'1" John Rhys-Davies who played a dwarf in LOTR.

Different types of "dwarf." A real world "dwarf" like Tyrion is a person with achondroplasia or similar growth disorder. It's not just about being "short" - no amount of makeup and effects short of the full Gollum CGI could make John Rhys-Davies look like a person with achondroplasia. And from what I've read, real disabled people often feel really cheated when effects and makeup are used to make a non-disabled actor look disabled when there are perfectly good actors who have the condition in question who could play the part.

Like many of you, I have my nitpiks. But I still think this is our wetdream. Please, kill me for being positive!

Your nitpicks sound just the same as anyone else. We haven't had any "I won't watch the show because Dany's hair looks like a wig!" moments that I've seen. Trust me, I am also a fan of Doctor Who... sign up to Gallifrey Base sometime if you want to see REAL nitpicking and fan tantrums!

Also, calling everyone else creepy is hardly positive.

Oh, we have Dany's "bad" (maybe} wig. Oh, we have eyebrowgate. Oh Hodor is too young/old. Oh, Ned is too old. Oh, this and that and that! Oh, Dinklage is too handsome.

So sorry, but this is all kind of tiresome!

Feel free to reign on me! Please, especially Juliandro.

Guess you fanboys all had a view that cannot be changed. I have a view too. But I can be flexible. What's wrong with that? So, the Dothraki may not be in my view? It's going to be OK with me. I can be flexible to see my favorite book come to life. Is that so bad???????

For allusions I want to respond.

At no time have criticized some aspects of the series. I'm not as intransigent. I have only demanded that Eugene Simon must have a sex scene with Lena Headey. :rolleyes: :drool: :lmao: :love: Hahaha

It is true that it is too early to draw conclusions, but if I have to give an opinion, say that the series seems minimalist. It is possible that I'm very much mistaken.

I have found the "nitpicking" threads to be very "tiresome" as well. I'm content avoiding that sort of thing. When I began to read some of the threads, they brought me down in my excitement for the show. I want to get excited about the show and fan myself feverishly at the thought of watching it, not read about everything that could annoy me or does. What fun is that? :)

I also cannot get too down on someone who is very much in love with the books and who worries about how well the production will be. These books instill a great sense of fan pride.

While I am not going to waste my time typing about Dany's eyebrows or wigs or Peter Dinklage being too handsome--just thinking about it makes me tired and ready for a nap--I guess I cannot blame someone who is nitpicking. I don't have the energy to be too angry or worried about these little things.

Your nitpicks sound just the same as anyone else. We haven't had any "I won't watch the show because Dany's hair looks like a wig!" moments that I've seen. Trust me, I am also a fan of Doctor Who... sign up to Gallifrey Base sometime if you want to see REAL nitpicking and fan tantrums!

Also, calling everyone else creepy is hardly positive.

Very much second Gallifrey Base. Doctor Who fandom is its own worst enemy. I hope that won't happen to us.

I have only demanded that Eugene Simon must have a sex scene with Lena Headey. :rolleyes: :drool: :lmao: :love: Hahaha

??

Oh, right! You started a thread going on about how twincest wasn't risque enough, and how HBO should up the ante by having Cersei screw Joffrey, isn't that it?

Never mind the BOOKS don't ever hint at such a thing.

??

Oh, right! You started a thread going on about how twincest wasn't risque enough, and how HBO should up the ante by having Cersei screw Joffrey, isn't that it?

Never mind the BOOKS don't ever hint at such a thing.

I was wrong. It is obvious that the issue of Joffrey and Cersei is nonsense. It is a subject I do not care. However, if I want HBO show a sex scene between Lancel and Cersei.

Very much second Gallifrey Base. Doctor Who fandom is its own worst enemy. I hope that won't happen to us.

Why, what happened in the Doctor Who fandom? I rarely watch Doctor Who (I'm not much for TV) but I'm fascinated by fandoms' "crowd reactions". I remember a LOTR board I belonged to. People saying they had left the theatre in tears for how bad the Fellowship was.

I personally LOVED the movies, probably also because of the excitement that surrounded them (nothing beats being dressed up as Arwen and having a tear slide down your face at the EXACT MOMENT the same happens to Arwen in The Two Towers when she has her vision... /fangirl), and now I can watch them and appreciate the little details, and also see the glaring mistakes, but all in all I'm happy we got them.

Maybe it would be easier to approach the HBO series as fanfiction. (Which is another can of very poisonous worms.) We don't need to think this is the ULTIMATE VISION of what ASOIAF is. Personally, I'm very much interested in the comics version, too. This way, it might be a more relaxed approach to the saga; the HBO series is not the be-all, end-all, so I'm not too worried about Daenerys' hair.

Perhaps that's why I'm not too much of a nitpicker. I seek refuge in this thought: what we get is not definitive, and anyway it's more than being limited to our imagination.

Which is another interesting can of worms. People have said (here, on the LOTR boards, on the Harry Potter boards...) that now they were worried because the cinematic image would supplant their imagination. Maybe it's a subjective thing, but I've always been able to keep imagination and movie/TV representation side by side. Example: I love Bean as Ned, but "my" Ned will live forever in my mind side by side with Bean, and they don't look alike at all! But it's not a problem to me. I can understand how it could be a problem for others, however.

So relax, lay back and smell the roses. But if there's no Blackfish in Season 2, HEADS WILL FALL.

Why, what happened in the Doctor Who fandom? I rarely watch Doctor Who (I'm not much for TV) but I'm fascinated by fandoms' "crowd reactions". I remember a LOTR board I belonged to. People saying they had left the theatre in tears for how bad the Fellowship was.

I personally LOVED the movies, probably also because of the excitement that surrounded them (nothing beats being dressed up as Arwen and having a tear slide down your face at the EXACT MOMENT the same happens to Arwen in The Two Towers when she has her vision... /fangirl), and now I can watch them and appreciate the little details, and also see the glaring mistakes, but all in all I'm happy we got them.

Maybe it would be easier to approach the HBO series as fanfiction. (Which is another can of very poisonous worms.) We don't need to think this is the ULTIMATE VISION of what ASOIAF is. Personally, I'm very much interested in the comics version, too. This way, it might be a more relaxed approach to the saga; the HBO series is not the be-all, end-all, so I'm not too worried about Daenerys' hair.

Perhaps that's why I'm not too much of a nitpicker. I seek refuge in this thought: what we get is not definitive, and anyway it's more than being limited to our imagination.

Which is another interesting can of worms. People have said (here, on the LOTR boards, on the Harry Potter boards...) that now they were worried because the cinematic image would supplant their imagination. Maybe it's a subjective thing, but I've always been able to keep imagination and movie/TV representation side by side. Example: I love Bean as Ned, but "my" Ned will live forever in my mind side by side with Bean, and they don't look alike at all! But it's not a problem to me. I can understand how it could be a problem for others, however.

So relax, lay back and smell the roses. But if there's no Blackfish in Season 2, HEADS WILL FALL.

Wish I had a "like" button now.

I had some pretty hardcore Tolkien fans with me on the midnight screening of Fellowship, one who has one of the most impressive collections of rare collectible books (Tolkien and Tolkien-related) that I have ever seen. He's the kind of guy who could tell you who that obscure person is, what their history is, what happened, what other characters are similar to them, who they were based on from the Prose Edda (or the Volsungs) and some of the etymological/linguistic base for words, names, etc.

And he loved Fellowship, loved the whole series, was as giddy as a schoolgirl in a Hello Kitty store. When people would ask him about the adaptations and how well they did, he always shrugged and said, "it's not the book on the screen, but damn, it's fun."

He even loved Liv Tyler's beefed up role.

I always appreciated his ability to enjoy the films, to get swept away into the beauty of them. When you are around people who constantly look for the negative, you start to feel beat-on for not being so jaded. Perhaps misery loves company. I don't know. But, I just tried to avoid those types. It's like a pair of fists that keep hitting you, saying, "hate it like me, hate it like me, I hate it, I hate it! HEY! I HATE IT. HELLO. DO YOU KNOW I HATE IT?" I'm not a masochist, I guess.

I loved the LOTR films. I'm even more thankful that they axed Tom Bombadil. A friend of mine pulled off a pretty big prank with all of that. He sent me a "fake" article that broke the news: Keanu Reeves as Tom Bombadil. I nearly had a heart-attack. I'm still plotting to get him back.

I think the problem with Doctor Who is that its decade-long history and enormous popularity have lead to such a high anticipation that it is not humanly possible anymore to cover all these expectations...or maybe the fandom is just extemely critical, or only the ones who hate it bother to post.

Anyway, whenever a new episode airs, Gallifrey Base will be full of threads like: "Now the new series is really selling out", "I hate (insert companion name)", "I think the nth Doctor was much better", "Russell T Davies/ Stephen Moffat is killing Doctor Who" etc etc...

I love the Lord of the Rings movies. Which does not mean they're perfect. There's bits that are too long, too cheesy, or just plain don't fit in. But then there's moments of such beauty and emotion that more than make up for the weaker bits. The scenes of Arwen's conversation with her father, when he tells her what is going to happen if she chooses Aragorn almost make me cry every single time.

As for AGOT, I'm very happy with 99% of everything we've seen from the set so far. I'm over the moon that one of my favourite series is going to be adapted for the screen by people who seem to really like, understand and respect the source material. I do, however, hate Cersei's wig ;)

(please don't stone me. Maybe it'll all look better in the finished product)

I think it is important to remember that this show is not the books. Like with any movie adaptation it needs to be judged for what it is, and not held under intense scrutiny for any and all deviations. There are a lot of things that aren't how I pictured them to be, but I realize that this is not the book directly translated on the screen. And needs to be judged as an adaptation fit for the small screen.

Something that gets me laughing with the wigg thing:

Wait....they are complainning like hell about the wigg and they forget to mention what´s that big forest scene doing in the Dothraki sea???? LOOOOL

I dont really care about both, but people are just crazy! It´s far more damaging in story telling to have a forest around on the dothraki sea then having Danny use a horse-hair wigg :) Because then you will have a big trouble with the lines Jorah has to say about no one being able to get lost.....and i´m quite sure he was not talking about a nice and straight clear cut forest path :)

But hell....lets discuss about Dany´s wigg!!!! far better :)

In the end, lets just take it as it is and enjoy it knowing asome things things will just be different and this is quite close to the books to be wonderfull!!! :)

Wait....they are complainning like hell about the wigg and they forget to mention what´s that big forest scene doing in the Dothraki sea???? LOOOOL

I dont really care about both, but people are just crazy! It´s far more damaging in story telling to have a forest around on the dothraki sea then having Danny use a horse-hair wigg :) Because then you will have a big trouble with the lines Jorah has to say about no one being able to get lost.....and i´m quite sure he was not talking about a nice and straight clear cut forest path :)

That's not the Dothraki Sea. In the book they spend weeks travelling through the vast Forest of Qohor, which borders the Dothraki Sea to the west.

Archived