[Baltimore/DC Metro] Interest Check: Classical at the Meyerhoff

Inigima

Let's class up this joint. The Meyerhoff Theater is home to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra as well as sundry other smaller performers. After concerts, we can return to the drunken debauchery we do so well. I've been kicking around the idea of taking a group down to the Meyerhoff semi-regularly and I initial responses are positive. Consider this thread an interest check.

SOME DETAILS.

PRICE. Tickets to the Meyerhoff vary by seating location. Tickets in the orchestra area are about $30, as are terrace seats. Grand tier seats are a bit more, roughly $45. In the interest of not pricing people out, I tend towards orchestra but whatever is fine with me.

ADJUNCT ACTIVITIES. The Meyerhoff is in midtown Baltimore. Baltimore is a city! So it has lots of places to eat beforehand, and lots of places to booze afterwards. We can plan an entire evening if people are available. At present I am probably not able to offer overnight accommodations but I expect to be in a position to do so soon. There are hotels and shit as well.

TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING. There is a Light Rail stop pretty much at the Meyerhoff. The Light Rail has limited hours, though, because it sucks way more than the DC metro, so plan accordingly and please be careful on the Light Rail because, hey, Baltimore. There are also paid parking garages in the area. The Meyerhoff website has more info on where to park and how to get there.

MEYERHOFF WEBSITE. Besides directions, the site contains seating charts, the menu for the cafe, and various other details.

MUSIC. If you are interested in coming, please let us know what kind of music you like! If you are not interested in coming, I do not care what kind of music you like. My personal preference is for smaller stuff like string quartets but I'm up for whatever.

MUSIC SNOBBERY. Please don't be intimidated if you don't know much about classical music! No one is going to make fun of you. That includes me. I am not terribly well-versed myself. But I wouldn't make fun of you even if I were. Not for that, anyway.

SHOWTIMES. See the calendar on the website (linked above) for performance schedules. Showtimes are typically 8:00 PM but consult the calendar to be sure! We should plan on being there before showtime to be seated promptly.

Post in this thread if you would be interested in attending! This is not a commitment for a particular date or time; it is an attempt to gauge whether planning around the BwB is a good idea. Several of my other friends have expressed an interest and this will be happening anyway.

Okay I talked to my friend. It is doable but has the following drawbacks.

1. Probably a good 90 minutes each way. Metro to Union Station, MARC to Baltimore, probably Penn. Friend says you can walk from there, he knows better than I would. If you don't want to you can take the Light Rail for a stop or two.

2. MARC only runs on weekdays.

3. Last MARC train back is at like 9:05 PM so I don't know that getting back that way that day is feasible.

Might be better off, if Elrostar is coming, taking the metro to near his place and catching a ride?

Also I may be moving to a place where you guys can crash there soon.

Archived