Margaret John passes away

MirriMaz

Poor Old Nan :(

Gavin and Stacey star Margaret John has passed away, it has been announced.

Wales Online reports that the Welsh actress died in her sleep at around 2am today.

Well loved for her role as Doris in the BBC sitcom, the 83-year-old also held roles in various shows including Doctor Who, Last of the Summer Wine and more recently E4 drama Skins.

Peter Watkins-Hughes, who directed John in comedy A Bit of Tom Jones, commented: "She was the grandmother everyone wanted and a friend to everyone."

As for the show, I imagine they will recast if we get S2.

I wonder about that; she only appears in the first two books so far, and isn't that important of a character. She had some cool moments of "crazy, wise old lady" comments in Clash (I think; it's hard to remember), but they could probably use Osha for any of her moments that they feel a need to keep. Don't know if George has any plans for the character in the latter half of the series (not even quite sure if she's still kicking after the fall of Winterfell, but I think she was carried off with the rest of the chicks).

She just disappears? They have used her voice on trailers, so she is not ignored in the show.

Why wouldn't they recast? It happens on TV shows. Not like its an iconic role for Margaret John and it would be a mark of respect to leave her out from now on.

I think it would be relatively easy to recast Old Nan as an extra and not have her speak going forward. I don't recall any stories she tells Bran in the later three books that would be essential. Wouldn't be too hard to find someone who looks close enough that makeup could take care of the rest.

She just disappears? They have used her voice on trailers, so she is not ignored in the show.

Why wouldn't they recast? It happens on TV shows. Not like its an iconic role for Margaret John and it would be a mark of respect to leave her out from now on.

Yeah, I thought about whether she should just disappear, but I don't know that it would be that noticeable. That happens to characters in TV sometimes, and there are so many characters in this show that they are hard to keep track of, anyway. It might depend on how prominent she is in the show, and also how much she appears toward the latter part of the season. Winterfell obviously isn't the focus toward the end of book one, as opposed to the beginning, and Old Nan is a useful character also to introduce some of the mystical elements that live on in fairytales, which is also less necessary once viewers are accustomed to the world of the show. They could put in some mention of her passing early in season two, maybe, but I just don't think you recast if you don't have to, and I'm not sure that you have to in this case. Really, it's a little hard to say without having seen the show, because we don't know how much attention different material from the book will be given; Bran keeps having chapters pretty consistently throughout GoT, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that material cut down for the show a bit. How much time the Bran chapters at Winterfell get when they're scripting season 2 would also be a factor, and we've also already seen how difficult it is to try to fit all the characters in the show. Season two will have new characters, and also maybe some characters from the first book that didn't make it into season one.

They could just drop the character. Old Nan isn't essential and less so after aGoT. Or as Bronn suggested, they could just recast her as an extra. OTOH, I'd be happy if they gave a new actress a small speaking role in aCoK. Old Nan is distinctive enough for people to catch on who the actress is.

I think she will be prominent enough in S1. Especially when Robb and Bran are in Winterfell.

Nice message from D&D. :)

Archived