BWB Norcal IV + I =5

I have managed to fuck up a recipe that basically says "chop up a bunch of shit and throw it in a bowl." Don't get too excited about the nectarine salad. It might be just me. If I show up empty-handed, I'll make up for it with the mad cleaning-up skillz I showed off last time I was at BL's house. :)

hey guys - unfortunately I won't be able to make it tomorrow. My flight has changed, and I won't be back in time :(

Eddard - hope you will be ok getting to BL's place??

I also still have the banana cream pie on hold at Mission Pie (2901 Mission St. at 25th). It's under the name 'Ellen' if anyone wants to pick it up still!

I'm so sorry to miss seeing everyone!

nim, that's a huge bummer! I was looking forward to meeting a fellow BwB chick living in the Mission! Maybe we can meet up sometime on our own. :) I'll pick up the pie, it sounds close to 24th/Mission BART?

Arbor - do you want a ride? I'll be driving from the city (noe valley to be precise).

Thanks! I'll take a ride back from Casa de BL to 16th & Dolores if you don't mind. I will pick up the pie and take BART to Concord. I'm aiming for the 4:02 or 4:22 train arrival in Concord. I'm going to call BL for a pickup at the concord BART station.

nim, that's a huge bummer! I was looking forward to meeting a fellow BwB chick living in the Mission! Maybe we can meet up sometime on our own. :) I'll pick up the pie, it sounds close to 24th/Mission BART?

Me too! We should totally meet up on our own - I'll PM you once I get back into town :)

Yea, Mission Pie is close to 24th Mission BART. Heads up though, they only take cash or check. But their banana cream pie is worth the inconvenience...!

Sigh...have a great time guys!

Sure. Any flavor preference? Looks like banana cream is on hold, do we want two of those? Or something else?

I vote for some variety in pie selection (I'm not a big fan of banana). How about the mixed berry pie?

Also, I'm happy to give you a ride back.

That was awesome. Thank you so much BL and RW, for opening up your house to us and hosting such an amazing event. I had a great time! I loved seeing old friends and meeting new folks.

Next event: Mission/Lower Haight bar crawl when Raidne comes to visit. Will start a new thread for that. :)

As promised - you CAN make friends with salad

Recipe

The salad consisted of chopped romaine hearts (Trader Joe's - had to chop and spin dry myself), heirloom cherry tomatoes (ditto), enoki mushrooms (Asian market), golden bell pepper (usually cheaper at Asian markets) and carrots sliced as thinly as I could manage without losing the round shape (or half moon shape toward the fat end of the carrot).

The dressing is this recipe, modified.

The modifications were:

Omit honey

add 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce

add 1 tablespoon brown sugar

I whisked the dressing at home then just shaked it in the ziploc screw-top cannister on site. I put the non-lettuce ingredients in one container and put them in the dressing first then added the lettuce out of a ziploc bag. The salad travels well in an ice chest and can be assembled on site with little fuss.

Great seeing everyone.

That was awesome. Thank you so much BL and RW, for opening up your house to us and hosting such an amazing event. I had a great time! I loved seeing old friends and meeting new folks.

Next event: Mission/Lower Haight bar crawl when Raidne comes to visit. Will start a new thread for that. :)

I wholeheartedly agree, a big thanks to BL and RW - the food was fantastic.

As a brief piece of trivia, it turns out that:

Drogon is black and red

Rhaegal is green and bronze

Viserion is cream and gold

So perhaps the black was just too subtle for us to see...

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone! I have not been on the board in a looong time and had to dust off my password. I just want to say that I am looking sooooo forward to seeing all of you that are going to travel to Reno. This will be my first full immersion nerd fest, and I am very excited. The plan is to stay half drunk half the time and a quarter drunk all of the time (never did master those fractions, much to Boiled Leather's chagrin.) I have loved getting to know all of you over our shared love and language of ASOIAF. See you in Reno!

Hey gang! In case any of you guys are NOT going to be in Reno tomorrow night, just want to let you know about Comedy Night at the California Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park. Yep, science comedy (featuring Adam Savage from Mythbusters) and a recording of The Nerdist podcast, plus other nerdy fun. Tickets are $12 and are available here.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived