BWB Norcal IV + I =5

For those in the SF Bay area, see here.

As posted in the other thread, I will be there. Hey, it's good to be a student. Yay.

omgomgomgomgomgsoexcitedeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

There were about 60 people there, most of them students in broadcasting, film, or related fields. I only met one other person who came out specifically because he was a fan of the books. (He had taken a writing class from George before AGOT even came out.) From what I overheard from people before the screening, many people were looking forward to the show coming out simply because of the buzz or because they like HBO's productions.

Reactions from people overall: Tyrion got laughs several times, people enjoyed the nudity and sex (of course), lots of surprise at the end and a little bit of confusion. ("I thought that was the queen's brother, why were they.....?") I heard a lot of, "He just told him he was only 10. Oh man, that's COLD!" over the last scene. Everyone I talked to afterward said they liked it and wished they could see more.

My own reaction: omgomgomgomgeeeeeeee. Naturally. (More general reactions later, elsewhere.)

Y'all missed a good time. I'll spoil the ending for you at BL's party, watch out!

There were about 60 people there, most of them students in broadcasting, film, or related fields. I only met one other person who came out specifically because he was a fan of the books. (He had taken a writing class from George before AGOT even came out.) From what I overheard from people before the screening, many people were looking forward to the show coming out simply because of the buzz or because they like HBO's productions.

Reactions from people overall: Tyrion got laughs several times, people enjoyed the nudity and sex (of course), lots of surprise at the end and a little bit of confusion. ("I thought that was the queen's brother, why were they.....?") I heard a lot of, "He just told him he was only 10. Oh man, that's COLD!" over the last scene. Everyone I talked to afterward said they liked it and wished they could see more.

My own reaction: omgomgomgomgeeeeeeee. Naturally. (More general reactions later, elsewhere.)

Y'all missed a good time. I'll spoil the ending for you at BL's party, watch out!

I wish I could have gotten over there.... so 60 people in a room for...?

I wish I could have gotten over there.... so 60 people in a room for...?

Oh, it was one of the studios for the Broadcasting department, so I assume it was for filming TV things, or something. Pretty large room, anyway, and they just brought in enough chairs that anyone who wanted one could take one and sit down. It was a pain in the ass to find, even though I had been in the building before. I had to ask about 6 people before one of them could point me exactly where to go. Most of the people there were part of the club doing the showing. Stroke of luck that I could go!

Lee, I'd love to attend (although I pass on ribs unless they are beef). What time and where? Can you email or PM me your contact info?

EDIT: Found your phone number from an old invite and left a voice mail. Hope it's still a valid number.

David

So sorry for the late rsvp, but as much as I would love to attend another gathering at the Leather household, I'm afraid I won't be in town. Have fun!

if i was insecure, I'd think you, much like Tina Fey, don't like me. :) luckily I'm not.

if i was insecure, I'd think you, much like Tina Fey, don't like me. :) luckily I'm not.

Good. :) Due to a series of major work-related clusterfucks I have been in Irvine all week and have to be back on Monday, so I decided to grace my parents in San Diego with the joy of my company for the weekend rather than fly back and forth. Otherwise, I would truly like to be there...you and Rachel are awesome! :)

Ug, I just read the NYTimes review of the series and I've gotta say that the person who wrote it is retarded. She imagines there are no female fans of the series (seriously???) and really doesn't get it.

I think one of the reasons that aGOT is great is that women play a huge role, and the portrayal is probably better than what most SF writers do. For instance, Robert Jordan's women all felt flat in comparison to the complexities posed by Cersei, Sansa, Catelynn, etc.

DK

UGH - just read it too. Unbelievable! It sounds like she doesn't even get the genre itself; she speaks of it pejoratively, and criticizes HBO for choosing these kinds of shows?? Um, where is the actual review of the show?

“...all of this illicitness has been tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise.”

WHAT the hell is she talking about? Has she been watching/reading an entirely different story?

I'm seriously tempted to email her. This is not a fair/accurate review of the story at all.

edit: if anyone else is interested in reading it : http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html

At least readers gave her review a crap rating. Small comfort as that is...

There's actually another review of GoT in the NYT Magazine that's a lot more detailed and balanced. And most reviewers in general have given positive to glowing reviews. People have been posting links here.

The SF Chronicle reposted Tim Goodman's absolutely 100% positive review of the show in today's edition, so locals who follow him will probably give it a chance. He's had a good track record with shows he's raved about in the past, including Lost, BSG, and The Wire.

Note that if you want to go sit in the Iron Throne again, it's at Yerba Buena Center through Sunday. Not sure where.

the only correction I'll make, Kat is that Tim works for The Hollywood Reporter. The Chron reprints those articles. Its one reason why I don't get the Chron M-Sat. No Tim. Its ironic, now that he doesn't work for the Chron, he has been printed in the Sunday Datebook (pink sheet) more than the 10 years he worked there.

the only correction I'll make, Kat is that Tim works for The Hollywood Reporter. The Chron reprints those articles. Its one reason why I don't get the Chron M-Sat. No Tim. Its ironic, now that he doesn't work for the Chron, he has been printed in the Sunday Datebook (pink sheet) more than the 10 years he worked there.

That's why I said reposted. ;)

Archived