So, multiculturalism is dead

The Anti-Targ

I don't think that counts as natural.

eta - between guesswork and wikipedia - Timber?

Nah it's techie stuff, isn't it? Engineering and what not.

I think this is HE's point: Sweden is a highly knowledgebased economy and there are very few jobs in sectors that don't deal with engineering, biotech, medicine etc.

SKF ball bearings?

Hey, no slamming of SKF! Half my family on my dad's side where lowly factory workes for SKF at one point or another. :P

I think this is HE's point: Sweden is a highly knowledgebased economy and there are very few jobs in sectors that don't deal with engineering, biotech, medicine etc.

No, the point is that Sweden builds its economy on cutting down trees. So the host culture is not very welcoming of people like me. Most Swedish art about trees involves them either just standing around, or being cut down and burned or turned into housing or furniture.

There’s very little…

agency.

No, the point is that Sweden builds its economy on cutting down trees. So the host culture is not very welcoming of people like me. Most Swedish art about trees involves them either just standing around, or being cut down and burned or turned into housing or furniture.

There’s very little…

agency.

:lol:

Guest Other-in-Law

No, the point is that Sweden builds its economy on cutting down trees.

(revs chainsaw)

But why should the superior Swedish vertebrate culture be shackled by a backward looking Dendrism that demands the artificial preservation of lifeforms that are incapable of competing in the marketplace of life value? Trees have been repeatedly demonstrated to be several standard deviations below mammals in terms of intelligence. There are literally reams upon reams of peer reviewed studies that prove this, no need to take my word for it. But sadly the Sylviculturalist hegemony forbids discussion of allowing (or indeed assisting) the mass extinction of Xylem based taxons as evolution clearly intended...it's the tree-hugging Left's version of creationism.

Life existed before trees and there's no reason to think it won't do continue just fine long after the last gnarly stump has been polished into a humidor, which unlike any living tree, is actually useful for something. What sort of condescending cliches do we see put forward as justification for the preservation of trees? 'Oh, it's nice how they provide shade.' Well, excuse me for wanting to crawl out of the shadows of our benighted, primordial past and seek enlightenment. That sort of multiculturalism....positing fresh air and intellectual advancement as equal to mouldering in stagnant humus...is frankly offensive, and no more than what one would expect from day-tripping liberal tourists.

about trees involves them either just standing around, or being cut down and burned or turned into housing or furniture.

so, HE, your principal complaint in this thread is that multiculturalism has failed because arboreals and non-arboreals have failed to live together, despite their differences, evidenced by the latter allegedly enslaving and committing genocide against the former?

mouldering in stagnant humus...is frankly offensive, and no more than what one would expect from day-tripping liberal tourists.

So we're moving from sylvian prejudice to cullinary prejudice now? Oh wait, that's the double m spelling.

Carry on.

Ah, thanks for brining us back on topic!

Great definition. This is one of the definitions under which I loathe and detest multiculturalism. Cultures by themselves, and their diversity, and not inherently praiseworthy. In fact, most cultures are utterly despicable. I'm not going to celebrate anything just because it's a different culture.

This, of course, is because I focus on aspects of culture like the role of nepotism, the status of women, how children are treated, which role religion plays, etc. In many of these questions, cultures other than my own are utterly vile and barbaric. To be fought tooth and nail. So a priori I'm not going to celebrate someone else's culture. A priori, his culture is probably a monstrosity. I'm willing to listen, and happy to be proved wrong. But I'm not going to celebrate it a priori, no more than I'm going to celebrate somebody else's ideology or religion. A priori, I'm not even going to respect it.

If, on the other hand, one views culture like a tourist does (spicy food, exotic garb, cute jibberjabber language) then it's fine. But that's far down on my list of important cultural markers.

Great post, Happy Ent. I would also say that it is likely this form of multiculturalism you speak of, that is being dejected by Merkel, Sarkozy and Cameron (and Leterme, too).

I'm now envisioning Happy Ent's counterpart in some other country, on the internet, typing in another language, about how every culture other than his own is vile and barbaric. :lol:

Lol, there are people like happyent everywhere in the interweb. I frequent an asian-entertainment forum and there are plenty of Chinese supremacists there who repeatedly harp about how American and European culture are inferior.

This species isn't isolated on any particular geographic location, I tell you that.

Lol, there are people like happyent everywhere in the interweb. I frequent an asian-entertainment forum and there are plenty of Chinese supremacists there who repeatedly harp about how American and European culture are inferior.

This species isn't isolated on any particular geographic location, I tell you that.

Which is actually a great argument for multiculturalism, IMO. As long as we are off in our isolated corners of the internet, yapping about how all other cultures besides our own are vile and barbaric (and yes, there are plenty of Americans who believe that Europeans are vile and barbaric too!) all that gets accomplished is hating each other. Every culture out there has both positive and negative aspects, as does each and every human being.

and yes, there are plenty of Americans who believe that Europeans are vile and barbaric too!

And vice versa.

Every culture out there has both positive and negative aspects, as does each and every human being.

This, however, should not stop us from clearly naming these positive and negative aspects. It also means we should not unconditionally celebrate "diversity" if some elements of this diversity are negative. To say "there are people in the world who despise slavery and there are those who keep slaves; isn't it fine we are all so diverse" would be to forfeit an achievement many people have fought hard for and even paid with their lives.

Archived