top ten characters you want to see die

my watch begins

I'm honestly shocked to see all of this Arya, Gendry, Jon, Bran, and even Blackfish hate when there are slugs like Walder Frey and Roose Bolton still alive. Just because they don't have the most exciting POVs yet doesn't mean that they should be killed off.

Anyways, my list.

1. Stannis Baratheon

2. Melisandre

3. Walder Frey

4. Roose Bolton

5. Cersei Lannister

6. Dany

7. Lady Stoneheart

8. Aeron Greyjoy

9. Littlefinger

10. Robert Arynn

Wow the Hypocracy of saying what you said and then putting Dany on your list BLOWS MY FUCKING MIND!!!!!!

I meant comparing them to Jon. Theon has been a hostage his whole life who has no true home and has no clue how to act, and look what happens to him. Jaime makes mistakes and gets his hand cut off. Jon makes mistakes, turns cloak on the wildlings, disobeys orders and what does he get? To be lord commander.

Jaime lost his entire army and was made Lord Commander of the King's Guard, which unlike a truly horrible job like Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, is actually something people actually want to be. By the way his losing his hand was not because of any mistake he made that I am aware of. What mistake exactly did he make besides being unfortunate enough to be caught by Vargo Hoat?

And seriously? Are you seriously going to claim what Theon Greyjoy did is comparable? Did Jon Snow attack a keep hundreds of miles from the wall and try to hold it hoping the Night's Watch would drop everything and come save him?

I guess I fail to see why looking at those comparisons should annoy me to any degree. Except by how ridiculous they are. Not every situation matches up 1=1. There are degrees and subtletys and contexts.

Further deserving has nothing to do with why Jon was elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch anymore than it has to do with Jaime losing his hand. There are perfectly good reasons why Jon was elected and very few of them have anything to do with how heroic he supposedly was. He was a compromise choice for political reasons. Besides being the Lord Commander is a terrible job with zero prestige or rewards and tons of responsibility. And he gets it at a particular horrible time.

With all do respect, Arika, how would you know how people felt or didn't feel about a character before they came to this forum? I have yet to hear someone say "I liked Jon, then I came to this forum, and saw that many people hated him. At that point I decided to mindlessly jump on the bandwagon and hate him too!"

I said most of them. And believe it or now, I remember reading exactly that line more than once (except "then I came to this forum, and saw that many people hated him. At that point I decided to mindlessly jump on the bandwagon and hate him too!" was more like "then I came to this forum, read the discussions about him and they made me look at him in a whole new perspective! I never realized that he's really a Gary Sue until now!"

Don't you find it interesting that in any other forum about aSoIaF Jon is one of the most popular characters... and yet only here there are suddenly so many people who hate him for exactly the same reasons that have been repeated by some of the older posters over and over again. I don't mean to say that people can't have had their own opinions before coming here or have consciously decided to fallow the popular ones (that's almost never a conscious decision) but in every society, however little, the herd instinct really exists. And while it's natural and not necessary a bad thing, in this particular case I'm more than a little bit annoyed by it. Read the posts of Smashing Praise if you want to know the reason. I don't mind someone hating a character I like. But I very much mind the way a lot of the people here formulate their opinions on the matter. You can see it, not explicitly said but certainly lying somewhere behind, in almost every post - if someone doesn't like aSoIaF, he doesn't enjoy to be mentally challenged and to read complex stories; if someone likes Jon and Dany, he obviously should stick to the black-and-white fantasy of the commoners; etc.

Not everyone here does that but there are more than enough.

This is what I don't like about his haters. You're trying to make things look as if everyone who enjoys Jon's chapters and likes him is a conventional cliche-lover. And since you also brought Harry Potter to the mix... you think of Jon's fans (let me guess) as simple people who love their black-and-white stories? I can't know if you do, but you sure as hell made it sound that way.

I love realism in books but I'll never, ever understand why in most books the author needs to justify a main character failing, while in aSoIaF the author needs to justify any character succeeding in anything. Especially if he's a main character.

Just look at most of the 'want-to-die' lists on the first page. All main characters are there because it'll be "so unexpected" if they died. Yeah, right. To read a book in which every character only fails and fails and fails and dies will be so awesome and "not-cliche" and exciting. :huh:

I've never been able to read fantasy. Ever. It's all good versus evil, events working out in the hero's favor, etc. In my experience, at least. But when I gave this series a try, I found it such a breath of fresh air. There's no "villains." People get what they deserve. Characters are realistic and not stereotypes, therefor extremely interesting. However, Jon completely breaks this mold. As does Arya, for the most part. They're just a return to what I dislike about this genre. I feel stupid when I have to believe a 9 year old spoiled lord's daughter can defy death at every turn, or that an inexperienced 16 year old becomes the leader of an esteemed organization despite lacking credentials. If this book was like that, Ned wouldn't have died, Oberyn would have killed Gregor, etc. The very existence of these characters often feels like a slap to the face for me.

Jaime lost his entire army and was made Lord Commander of the King's Guard, which unlike a truly horrible job like Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, is actually something people actually want to be. By the way his losing his hand was not because of any mistake he made that I am aware of. What mistake exactly did he make besides being unfortunate enough to be caught by Vargo Hoat?

And seriously? Are you seriously going to claim what Theon Greyjoy did is comparable? Did Jon Snow attack a keep hundreds of miles from the wall and try to hold it hoping the Night's Watch would drop everything and come save him?

I guess I fail to see why looking at those comparisons should annoy me to any degree. Except by how ridiculous they are. Not every situation matches up 1=1. There are degrees and subtletys and contexts.

Further deserving has nothing to do with why Jon was elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch anymore than it has to do with Jaime losing his hand. There are perfectly good reasons why Jon was elected and very few of them have anything to do with how heroic he supposedly was. He was a compromise choice for political reasons. Besides being the Lord Commander is a terrible job with zero prestige or rewards and tons of responsibility. And he gets it at a particular horrible time.

Of all these mistakes, none is as dumb as leaving as leaving a wildling girl alive so she can run back and bring an army to fight you, ruining your ambush and endangering the lives of your comrades. Oh, but that's a good thing for Jon. And when Theon turned cloak on his previous jailers, everyone booed. But when Jon turns cloak on the wildlings, everything was peachy.

My points about Jaime and Theon is that they get their "just desserts" in one way or another. Jon just keeps succeeding despite whatever he does. Also, it doesn't matter how or why Jon was elected or if the job is good. I'm just saying, it's a trope I dont care for; once again, things work out for Jon.

Really? Jon is a stereotypical hero in a series that doesn't have good and evil. He continuously makes mistakes, yet nothing bad happens to him. Compare this to Jaime or Theon, who are deeper and more complex characters, and one gets a little annoyed. I also found his chapters extremely boring, and I had no clue anyone actually liked Jon until I came to the Internet. I just always saw him as a boring vehicle to tell the story of what happens on the wall with the others.

hahahaha, nothing bad happens to him? The guys childhood was utter shit, and then he's pretty much forced into being shipped off to protect a 1 billion foot ice wall in ice-hell with a bunch of rapists and pedos. On top of that, the guy has to live by a code that will never allow for the sweet sweet vajayjay embrace. Not to mention he thinks his whole family, the ones who really count in his life, are dead.

Jon doesn't have anything bad happen to him, though. Everyone loves him on the watch save a few people. He let a wildling woman live because he was too much a coward to kill her, and this actually HELPED him. He became Lord Commander despite lacking any experience or credentials. Oh boo hoo, he's a bastard. He still wins in the end no matter what. He's just very boring.

I meant comparing them to Jon. Theon has been a hostage his whole life who has no true home and has no clue how to act, and look what happens to him. Jaime makes mistakes and gets his hand cut off. Jon makes mistakes, turns cloak on the wildlings, disobeys orders and what does he get? To be lord commander.

I thought that people would read this series to escape stereotypical fantasy tropes, and since Jon is little more than Harry Potter, I couldn't imagine anyone seriously reading this series and enjoying a character like him. But I was wrong.

Dude, c'mon now. You are taking everything out of context for the benifit of your argument. Not to mention the fact that no one here thus has compared Jon to the likes of Theon or Tyrion in shit upbringings, we're just saying the guy had it as rough as the next character.

Wow the Hypocracy of saying what you said and then putting Dany on your list BLOWS MY FUCKING MIND!!!!!!

Whaah? I don't think that Dany's POV is boring at all. I'm just really not looking forward to her coming to Westeros, which will just create a giant race to befriend her.

hahahaha, nothing bad happens to him? The guys childhood was utter shit, and then he's pretty much forced into being shipped off to protect a 1 billion foot ice wall in ice-hell with a bunch of rapists and pedos. On top of that, the guy has to live by a code that will never allow for the sweet sweet vajayjay embrace. Not to mention he thinks his whole family, the ones who really count in his life, are dead.

Pretty much forced? Do you think Ned would have let Jon be banished from Winterfell just because Catelyn wanted it? Never, he's too honorable. That was Jon's choice, and he was warned multiple times.

Also, Jon had a wonderful upbringing. He had a loving family except Cat and Sansa. Robb considered him a brother and had war never come, he'd probably have given Jon lands or at least kept him as a close advisor. So what if he couldn't eat at a place of honor when the king was there? He has a better life than 99% of Westeros, and he's a shame bringing bastard.

Also, Jon had a wonderful upbringing. He had a loving family except Cat and Sansa. Robb considered him a brother and had war never come, he'd probably have given Jon lands or at least kept him as a close advisor. So what if he couldn't eat at a place of honor when the king was there? He has a better life than 99% of Westeros, and he's a shame bringing bastard.

Christ I can't believe I'm defending Sansa, but she still always thought of Jon as her brother, albeit her bastard brother. She didn't love him as much as Arya, Bran or Robb did perhaps, but she never shit on him either, as far as the text goes.

Of all these mistakes, none is as dumb as leaving as leaving a wildling girl alive so she can run back and bring an army to fight you, ruining your ambush and endangering the lives of your comrades. Oh, but that's a good thing for Jon. And when Theon turned cloak on his previous jailers, everyone booed. But when Jon turns cloak on the wildlings, everything was peachy.

Um that was the plan. To pretend to join the Wildlings and learn their plans.

Interesting not killing a woman and turning on the Wildlings are the best you got. Of course if Jon HAD killed the Wildling girl...

My points about Jaime and Theon is that they get their "just desserts" in one way or another. Jon just keeps succeeding despite whatever he does. Also, it doesn't matter how or why Jon was elected or if the job is good. I'm just saying, it's a trope I dont care for; once again, things work out for Jon.

Jaime and Theon got what they got because they got captured by Ramsay Bolton and Vargo Hoat. Not because they deserved anything. People in this story do not get what they deserve. Deserving has nothing to do with anything. Unless you think Bran deserved to be paralyzed, Mycella deserved to lose her ear, all those poor small folk in the Riverlands deserved to be massacred, Elia Martel and her infant children deserved to be murdered by Gregor Clegane, and I could pretty much do this with any character in the story.

My list, just because it'll be a hell of a twist.

1. Jon Snow Probably torn to bits by wights while defending the wall

2. Stanis Uh, used too much of his life fire to create shadow children

3. Bran Worging accident, or killed by Hodor.

4. Sansa killed by a brainwashed Arya.

5. Sandor killed by UnGregor

6. Tyrion Betrayed by Bron

7. Dany Her grown up dragons ate her, a forgotten dragon attitude that dragons eat their mothers if seen weak.

8. Sam the slayer killed by the faceless one.

9. Ramsy I just hate this guy.

10. UnCat may she rest in peace.

I don't really want them all dead, just a few of them.

Pretty much forced? Do you think Ned would have let Jon be banished from Winterfell just because Catelyn wanted it? Never, he's too honorable. That was Jon's choice, and he was warned multiple times.

He had a better life than a lot of Westeros in SOME cases, I agree, but not a better life than a lot of people that the book centers around, which is my point.

And yea, he was forced in the sense that he really had no where else to turn. He did make the decision, but you have it pretty damn shitty when in your mind, the alternatives to protecting a wall of ice in the arctic with a bunch of rapists are "hmmm not so great".

Really? Jon is a stereotypical hero in a series that doesn't have good and evil.

I'd disagree. There is good and especially evil in this series.

He continuously makes mistakes, yet nothing bad happens to him. Compare this to Jaime or Theon, who are deeper and more complex characters, and one gets a little annoyed.

And Jaime is still a rather flat character.

I also found his chapters extremely boring, and I had no clue anyone actually liked Jon until I came to the Internet. I just always saw him as a boring vehicle to tell the story of what happens on the wall with the others.

I don't care about boring characters. Davos is boring, but he still worked for me. My personal problem with Jon is that Martin has to do his worst story layouting to get Jon to "develop", because Jon as a character is virtually useless. I personally consider myself to be a tolerant reader, I can accept a character with a few Mary Sue traits here and there. As long as it still goes with the flow. If the plot collapses and becomes artificially cheesy, my immune system creates an intolerance against the blamable character.

Archived