[BOOK SPOILERS] Changes from book to screen

Ran

Well, maybe they should just change the opening credits to say "Inspired by..." or "Loosely based on..."

Is the concept of an ADAPTATION really that foreign to some people? So far this is a remarkably faithful adaptation.

If you want the book word for word - look in your bookcase or e-reader. The novels are still there.

Was anyone concerned about Varys being present in the brothel where the ownership of the dragon bone hilted dagger is discussed between Catelyn and Littlefinger? I wonder how this will affect the plot going forward and how the TV series will develop this deviation from the book. Other than establishing that he has little birds throughout the seven kingdoms, for what purpose does Varys being there serve?

Is the concept of an ADAPTATION really that foreign to some people? So far this is a remarkably faithful adaptation.

If you want the book word for word - look in your bookcase or e-reader. The novels are still there.

Yes, I keep getting surprised at the expectations some people seem to have on adaptations. As you say, this is remarkably faithful (especially when considering how complex the original is) and I'd be very interested to hear which adaptations that are faithful according to those that don't think this is.

Was anyone concerned about Varys being present in the brothel where the ownership of the dragon bone hilted dagger is discussed between Catelyn and Littlefinger? I wonder how this will affect the plot going forward and how the TV series will develop this deviation from the book. Other than establishing that he has little birds throughout the seven kingdoms, for what purpose does Varys being there serve?

I don't think it does do much other than establish that Varys seems to know about almost everything that happens in the 7 Kingdoms. But that's a very important point to make, and putting him in that scene does it effectively and economically.

Hey, I agree. Aside from a few mostly minor quibbles, I'm enjoying the show just fine and have no plan to stop watching. It is what it is.

The thing about Varys being present while Littlefinger and Varys discuss the dagger was no change. Varys learns of Cat's presence in KL in the book, informs Littlefinger, and together they drag her into the Red Keep into Littlefinger's office.

All they changed was the locale, and it makes little sense for Littlefinger and Varys to drag Cat into the Red Keep, if Robert, Ned, Cersei, and Jaime are already there. To keep her secret, they needed to keep her away from the castle, and they accomplished that.

And Varys has spies all over the kingdom, most certainly in the North as well. We see this when he tells us about the Conclave's favorite choice for the replacement of Pycelle.

One can complain about Cat taking no ship and arriving after Ned and Robert in KL, but that is a change which damages the story not at all in my opinion, at least in the way they presented it to us.

The thing about Varys being present while Littlefinger and Varys discuss the dagger was no change. Varys learns of Cat's presence in KL in the book, informs Littlefinger, and together they drag her into the Red Keep into Littlefinger's office.

All they changed was the locale, and it makes little sense for Littlefinger and Varys to drag Cat into the Red Keep, if Robert, Ned, Cersei, and Jaime are already there. To keep her secret, they needed to keep her away from the castle, and they accomplished that.

And Varys has spies all over the kingdom, most certainly in the North as well. We see this when he tells us about the Conclave's favorite choice for the replacement of Pycelle.

One can complain about Cat taking no ship and arriving after Ned and Robert in KL, but that is a change which damages the story not at all in my opinion, at least in the way they presented it to us.

What concerns me is not so much that Varys knows that Cat is in KL, but that in the TV adaptation that Varys is present where Littlefinger talks about the ownership of the blade and, therefore, Varys bears witness to Littlefinger's lie. This is not something that Lord Baelish would want to be known...that is, his version of the bet that lost the blade.

Varys is the last person I would want to know this account.

What concerns me is not so much that Varys knows that Cat is in KL, but that in the TV adaptation that Varys is present where Littlefinger talks about the ownership of the blade and, therefore, Varys bears witness to Littlefinger's lie. This is not something that Lord Baelish would want to be known...that is, his version of the bet that lost the blade.

Varys is the last person I would want to know this account.

Yes, but as Lord Varys above said, that's how it happens in the book. There was no change here, other than the locale.

They've omitted a number of memorable lines (at least to me). Such as

• Randall Tarly telling his son that "nothing would please me more than to hunt you down like the pig you are." They don't actually show that in the episode, but it would have been great to hear Sam say it to drive home the point that his father loathed him.

• Ser Alliser Thorne asking Sam "is fur and velvet your idea of armor, my lord of ham?"

Okay, I gotta say, all but scrapping Rickon in favor of Viserys, Loras, Renly and Doreah sexy time I can't agree with. Rickon isn't that important but if the last episode comes around and Luwin and Bran go down to crypt and non-readers are gonna be like "holy shit Ned's ghost!" and later "What do you mean Ned had another kid, where's he been all season?" then it won't have been worth it.

Archived