[NO SPOILERS] Arms & Armor

Ran

Some remarkable -- and perhaps not-so-remarkable -- work has been done to realize the appearance of Westeros and Essos, especially in the area of arms and armor. While we note this as a no spoilers section, use your judgment -- noting that Ice is said to be taller than Robb in the book is fine, "They totally should have used that design for Vorpalsword when Rickon gets it in The Winds of Winter" would be a spoiler. Setting details are okay, plot details are not.

Basically, avoid discussing plot elements. Setting details are fine.

Here's a place for folks to geek out. Here's Tommy Dunne, weapons master:

And here's Simon Brindle, head armorer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YOJruMiJg

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome!

I really like the red lacquered armor we see in the background of the 2nd video. It looks almost like a Japanese-European hybrid. Exotic enough to seem fantastic, but still looks practical. After seeing pictures of Jaime's helmet (ridiculous, IMO), I was worried that they'd overdo things trying to give everyone a distinct look, and forget about making practicality. But everything here looks great, and if the actors are spending 8-12 hours in the costumes, then nothing can be too outlandish. Even Jaime's helmet didn't look so silly on top of the armor--if you added a face mask underneath, it would look sort of like a samurai/hoplite helmet.

Perhaps this video should also be added: http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2011/1/13/the-artisans-buster-reeves.html

I've been meaning to ask, do they explain Valyrian steel in any episode?

AFAIK, no. In the 1st video above, there is a sketch of a sword that is shaded differently, which I think is Ned's. It looked almost black. In the pictures I've seen, though, his sword looked more normal, almost pattern-welded.

AFAIK, no. In the 1st video above, there is a sketch of a sword that is shaded differently, which I think is Ned's. It looked almost black. In the pictures I've seen, though, his sword looked more normal, almost pattern-welded.

That's what I was wondering. I watched the Arms and Arnor featurette a few weeks ago and didn't recall any mention of Valyrian steel.

Yes, I believe a report on one of the Xfinity exclusive videos has Tommy Dunne noting Ice is pattern-welded because it's supposed to be a special weapon. Doesn't really get into the details, though.

Valyrian steel is mentioned on the show, but not really its origins or meaning. Just that it's really expensive.

I also like what they've done with the Dothraki swords. It seems like they've decided to have them be sharp on both sides, which would actually make it a fairly useful cavalry weapon. From what I remember, GRRM's descriptions in AGoT made them sound more like a sickle or khopesh, which didn't make a lot of sense for horsemen, and seemed like just an attempt to make them different.

Yes, I believe a report on one of the Xfinity exclusive videos has Tommy Dunne noting Ice is pattern-welded because it's supposed to be a special weapon. Doesn't really get into the details, though.

Valyrian steel is mentioned on the show, but not really its origins or meaning. Just that it's really expensive.

I'd be happy if they just gave the line "nothing keeps an edge like Valyrian steel" to somebody at some point. That's all we really need to know about it.

Other than the bouncy bouncy as he rode in to Winterfell, I liked it.

He was far less impressive looking in his later scene, which is unfortunate.

This. I got a weird thrill when I saw him riding into Winterfell -- a gut-level fluttering of fear, which is odd for a 42-year-old man inured to depictions of violence from a lifetime spent watching gorey movies.

Then I noticed the jaws of the helmet bouncing somewhat comically, and the feeling faded.

In the later scene with Tyrion, the actor playing Sandor did not seem as menacing as I imagine him. He actually had a good-natured laugh, which just felt all kinds of wrong.

But the armor looks amazingly, horrifically cool. Just shut those jaws next time and all we be well. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

How do people feel about the Goldcloaks uniform? Personally, I love the vaguely Persian look of their helmets. It's refreshingly different from the usual pseudo-European fantasy milieu.

Also, have we seen any weapons other than swords or spears in Westeros yet? We've heard of Robert's war hammer, and given the prevalence of plate armor, I would assume such weapons are fairly popular.

...Also, have we seen any weapons other than swords or spears in Westeros yet? We've heard of Robert's war hammer, and given the prevalence of plate armor, I would assume such weapons are fairly popular.

Episode 1.3, just aired, showed a Dothraki ko proudy showing off his arakh to Jorah Mormont. An arak was described in the books as a curved sword. I pictured a cavalry saber or scimitar, but the ko's weapon was curved almost as much as a scythe.

How do people feel about the Goldcloaks uniform? Personally, I love the vaguely Persian look of their helmets.

Well, looking at their uniform and palms on the streets of KL, I thought of Ctesiphon of Sassanid times...

I pictured a cavalry saber or scimitar, but the ko's weapon was curved almost as much as a scythe.

They look very similar to ancient Dacian rhomphaia, but that was mostly an infantry weapon...

Archived