Exercise and Fitness Thread

Stego

BFC,

No one on the planet sweats more than me. NO ONE ON THE PLANET. I ring out my shirts after a workout. EVERY DAY. (And I have a shaved head, so no hair protecting my ears from sweat.) Use in-the-ear headphones. They make tons of sweat proof models.

This is a ridiculous excuse.

Have to back up what Stego's saying (about earphones--not his sweatiness) I had two sets of earbuds die out on me during marathon training because I sweat so much during this unbelievably hot summer and it shorted them out.

Then I found out about some sweat-proof earbud from my running store. Or rather, they're this special silicone coverings you put over regular ear buds. They work amazingly well. Very much recommend them. You can get them sized for pretty much any ear.

Link here.

Then I found out about some sweat-proof earbud from my running store. Or rather, they're this special silicone coverings you put over regular ear buds. They work amazingly well. Very much recommend them. You can get them sized for pretty much any ear.

Link here.

Mine are the same thing.

Going snowboarding tomorrow and thoroughly expecting not to be in the right kind of shape.

Are you a beginner? If so, yeah, your body is probably going to take a beating.

I went a lot in December and early January, but haven't gone in about a month. We finally got another big dump of snow, 3-5 feet, this week, so I'm planning to go this weekend. Got a great deal on a season pass this year. Less than $400 for a season pass to 3 Tahoe ski resorts (Sierra, Northstar and Heavenly), all of which are pretty good. Can't beat Heavenly for the views of the lake.

i don't think you have any idea how much i sweat. it fills my ears, it's like listening to music underwater.

anyway moveing on from my sweaty ears i went for a health check yesterday and they told me nothing i didn't know already. excercise more, eat less, drink less.

using BMI as an indicator of anything other than what your BMI is is fucking nonsense.

I've only been working out steadily for ~1.5 months but I feel like my biceps are firmer, and my legs are definitely more muscled, but only a little bit and only right above the kneecap and on the outside of the leg. Still that's pretty sweet. Also, I seem to have gained a pound or two according to the scale ever since I started eating breakfast every day, awesome. I recently videotaped myself doing pull ups, my back looks friggin awesome.

Ugh, sorry. :( Get better?

... as this is the second of these in a matter of weeks on the board, I may consider purchasing an ass-pad before going outside for the rest of the winter.

using BMI as an indicator of anything other than what your BMI is is fucking nonsense.

I don't agree. It's a simple, but useful and reasonably precise indicator of the obesity of a population. Don't tell me that this animated graph (cool, but somewhat scary) doesn't tell us anything.

Using BMI for individual diagnosis is of course silly, but then it was never meant to be used on the individual level. It is true that some people abuse it that way, but you can't blame BMI for people not understanding what it is.

Eponine: That sucks. I hope it was fun otherwise, and that you'll recover fast!

Joined a running club and had my first track session with them last night.

600m at 10k race pace, 400m at 5k pace, 200m at 3k pace, rest for two mins, repeat 5 times.

Considered throwing myself down the stairs this morning rather than walking down them. Convinced it would have been less painful.

Joined a running club and had my first track session with them last night.

600m at 10k race pace, 400m at 5k pace, 200m at 3k pace, rest for two mins, repeat 5 times.

Considered throwing myself down the stairs this morning rather than walking down them. Convinced it would have been less painful.

the first time of anything sucks. it always gets better. with regards to aches and pains i always find it worse the second day, does anybody else get that? does anybody know wtf its all about?

the first time of anything sucks. it always gets better. with regards to aches and pains i always find it worse the second day, does anybody else get that? does anybody know wtf its all about?

I've heard that from a lot of people, but couldn't tell you why. It's why some coaches recommend resting two days before a race with an easy run the day before, and running the day after a race to aid recovery on the second day after.

Edit - if that makes sense.

Edit the 2nd - Oh, right. DOMS. guess I'll count myself lucky I hadn't heard about it.

I've added a little jumping into my leg routines, and am noticing that the tiny muscles on my tail bone are quite sore and tender afterward. Is that the norm for jumping? I just want to make sure I'm not doing something horribly wrong, as I've never felt soreness in that area. Feels so...weird, for lack of a better word.

i don't think you have any idea how much i sweat. it fills my ears, it's like listening to music underwater.

Seriously, I was the same way. Try these out. They work. If you already have earbuds, just the silicone covering is like $9 USD.

My butt is broken.

I only had one hard fall, but it was right on my tailbone.

First Chataya now you!?! We need to get better at protecting our tailbones 'round here.

Hope you're feeling better.

Ouch. We knows the pains, we doeesssss...

1. All other Board members should purchase ass padding. Stat. There's something in the electrons, here.

2. They gave you Percoset? 'Fer real? All I've ever had for a broken bone is "take two Tylenol, and take more when it hurts". Except for the pelvis, but that was a long time ago, and I was on crutches. They almost had to pin it. Thank god they didn't, or I can imagine the strip search from the TSA.

3. I hope you get better soon!!

I don't have a broken bone, probably torn cartilage. I'm pretty resistant to pain killers. I had some hydrocodone before going to the doctor, and it barely did anything. Percoset is stronger and I was given an extra strength dosage, and it still only takes the edge off. Kind of hoped I'd be in a happy fog of foggy happiness, but no such luck.

How is your injury coming along? Does it still hurt at all?

Archived